All things Dundee FC

We can't have this thread on page 2.

Anyhow,as disappointing as the past week has been, I don't think Hartleys too far off a good side. In the summer he needs to sign a big b*****d DM, an experienced LB, and a left winger.and that would be it. IMO. He'll probably go for another three or four lightweight attacking midfielders though.

Thank you.

Shall we play with no CHs?

I find it bizarre reading things like 'how far we have come' when in reality we are no better than 9-10 of the teams in this league. 30 games in and behind or very slightly in front of teams who have sacked there manager or are on a shoogly peg. Yep it's better than 3 years ago but after 30 signings can we honestly claim we are any better than Hamilton Partick Motherwell and co. Not a moan just a dose of reality

I find it bizarre reading things like 'how far we have come' when in reality we are no better than 9-10 of the teams in this league. 30 games in and behind or very slightly in front of teams who have sacked there manager or are on a shoogly peg. Yep it's better than 3 years ago but after 30 signings can we honestly claim we are any better than Hamilton Partick Motherwell and co. Not a moan just a dose of reality

The reality is that realistically the best we can hope for for our club is a top 4 finish and a cup win. We're not too far off that tbf. We're definitely the measure of the bottom 6 teams at the moment but we need to compete better with the top 6. For a team in their second season in the top flight that's decent. Cheer up man :)

Aye, we've not moved on in the slightest from the team that lost at home to Cowdenbeath 15 months ago...

Im not sure why we should be far superior to the Hamiltons, Particks etc... When was the last time we were a top 4 side? Some fans need to take their dose of reality imo

It's mental. 2 seasons ago we looked like we'd bottled the championship with John Brown in charge. We're now a stable team with a decent manager & more than holding our own in the top flight, which is realistically what we should be hoping for. We'd have bitten your hand off then to be where we are now.

Some of the folk on that other forum are laughable, you think half of them expect as to be challenging Celtic

Edited by Louis Litt

It's mental. 2 seasons ago we looked like we'd bottled the championship with John Brown in charge. We're now a stable team with a decent manager & more than holding our own in the top flight, which is realistically what we should be hoping for. We'd have bitten your hand off then to be where we are now.

Some of the folk on that other forum are laughable, you think half of them expect as to be challenging Celtic

Ok, so playing Devils advocate a bit. Should we not have expectations of challenging for 2nd or 3rd?

There's not a lot between most teams in the league!

Hearts have come straight up and delivered a fairly solid looking 3rd place with a Championship squad. Saints, County and Caley have all delivered cup success and fairly decent league positions with squads, that to many opposing fans, don't appear overly impressive.

Apparently this is the worst Celtic squad/team in living memory, our manager has had a couple of attempts to re-build the squad and yet we struggle to win games. (Without checking the stats, we must have drawn more games than anyone else since we came back up).

We're only a few points from dropping down 2-3 positions - would you still class finishing 9th or 10th with huge cup disappointments at Ibrox and Dunfermline as a situation where most fans would have bitten your hand off?

Ok, so playing Devils advocate a bit. Should we not have expectations of challenging for 2nd or 3rd?

There's not a lot between most teams in the league!

Hearts have come straight up and delivered a fairly solid looking 3rd place with a Championship squad. Saints, County and Caley have all delivered cup success and fairly decent league positions with squads, that to many opposing fans, don't appear overly impressive.

Apparently this is the worst Celtic squad/team in living memory, our manager has had a couple of attempts to re-build the squad and yet we struggle to win games. (Without checking the stats, we must have drawn more games than anyone else since we came back up).

We're only a few points from dropping down 2-3 positions - would you still class finishing 9th or 10th with huge cup disappointments at Ibrox and Dunfermline as a situation where most fans would have bitten your hand off?

Hearts have nothing like a championship squad.

They will be spending significantly more than us.

Edited by Deefiant

Hearts have nothing like a championship squad.

They will be spending significantly more than is.

So, if money is the prime decider on success, I'll offer the same provocation again...why have Saints qualified for Europe 4 times in a row and how did they and the 2 Highland teams win cups?

So, if money is the prime decider on success, I'll offer the same provocation again...why have Saints qualified for Europe 4 times in a row and how did they and the 2 Highland teams win cups?

Saints have one of the largest cash balances in the league.

Ross county are heavily invested in by an extremely wealthy man.

Caley I'm not so sure on, but why have underdogs historically won cup competitions?

No - we should never, ever be expecting 2nd or 3rd, never mind a challenge for it. I think some (Not you Dee62) genuinely believe that's the level we should be at though.

I read comments like 'Kevin Holt is the worst LB we've ever had!' There seems a constant longing for a state of crisis at Dens amongst some fans - do they not remember Netan Sansara or Stuart McCluskey?! I've read topics such as 'Times Up Hartley' after we got beaten by Hearts. The constant calls of 'this wouldn't happen under Bomber' on Mad and 'Hartley's too stubborn to be a good manager' on TDB's has led me to decide this is the only place of sanity.

Bit of a rant - but some of the shite that gets said is beyond belief.

Whilst I'm on my rant - our crowds and atmosphere this season have been poor and whilst many like to blame the board, we've reduced prices this season for an individual game here or there and it had absolutely zero effect on the crowd figure.

Money isn't a 'prime decider'. You only have to look over the road to see that.

What it does do, more times than not, is give you an advantage.

"More times than not". We are obviously the "not" exception that proves the rule!