All things Dundee FC

Losing the goal so early probably made it an uphill struggle. Any game plan they had went right out the window.

After 13 seconds?!!

O'dea covering after Holt losing posession is crap. At Dens we did nothing against Celtic in the cup last season and now this. Beats me what mind set we have for these games.

It was a sore one. No doubt. Losing a goal after 13 secs only settled Rangers and shook us and once that happened I had a feeling it was going to be one of those days.

Tactically we seemed to be split open down the left hand side with Tavernier given freedom of the park. Having a narrow midfield left Holt exposed, and often in a 2 on 1 situation until O'Dea could come in and cover, by that time Rangers were in our box!

We didn't settle until Kerr and Wighton came on and I think it's no coincidence our play improved hugely with their introduction. The time has come to give them a run. They are both Dee's, both massive talents and can do no worse than what we saw yesterday!

I'm desperate for a game now- hope the players are too. They need to make it up to us for yesterday.

Fair dos to some extent, but actually any sensible person could see that we went out thinking we were going to dominate and we were instead dominated. Nae use, tart it up any way you like, had any other team than ourselves performed similarly the criticism would have been withering.

Any game plan we went out with went out the window after 13 secs with Holt caught in possession and Bain beaten at his near post. We did well/were lucky to go in at HT only 1 down. The second half went Pete Tong when Loy was daydreaming and completely forgot about marking his man in the box.

Hartley's done a great job, no question, but somehow we have got to give our defence more cover next season if we are going to progress. Any back 4 would struggle with Loy, Stewart and Harkins in front of them - especially if Ross has one of his anonymous games as well.

No one was really complaining about the starting line up yesterday, it was what we expected and most were confident of a result although Loy being stuck out left has always seemed bizarre to me. The start was a disaster and never gave us a chance to grow into the game but again they looked fitter, stronger and hungrier than us all over the park

Think a lot of folk need to settle down after yesterday. (not so much on here but the other forum and social media)

Don't get me wrong - I'm not defending it. There were poor performances all over the park and there was maybe a questionable selection or 2 I'm not denying any of that. In absolutely gutted as we all know we're much better than what we produced and that's the biggest frustration.

I think folk need to look at the bigger picture though. We've had horrendous cup capitulations before but the difference this time is we're sitting as a stable club in 5th place in the premiership following a run of 2 defeats in 12 games (At Ibrox and Pittodrie). When we were humped by Gretna at Hampden or beaten down at QOS in 2007 we were sitting with no money, a shite squad of players and our promotion hopes already down the shitter for another year.

A lot of folk are having a go at Hartley and don't get me wrong, I questioned Loy's selection out on the wing myself but I don't think we can be too harsh on him for picking a side that had been doing well in recent weeks. The early goal totally fucked us yesterday - that come from an individual mistake which is hard to legislate for. It gave Rangers and their crowd a huge lift and was a hammer blow to our players confidence in a red-hot atmosphere. Some of the stuff I've read since the game is absolutely ridiculous. Harkins as usual is now fat and unfit again because we lost and have seen folk tearing into almost every other player at various points.

We've not turned into a bad team overnight because the occasion got to us. We can still have our highest league finish in decades. Just think we need a bit of perspective of where we are as a club compared to the dross we've been used to for as long as I can remember.

Think a lot of folk need to settle down after yesterday. (not so much on here but the other forum and social media)

Don't get me wrong - I'm not defending it. There were poor performances all over the park and there was maybe a questionable selection or 2 I'm not denying any of that. In absolutely gutted as we all know we're much better than what we produced and that's the biggest frustration.

I think folk need to look at the bigger picture though. We've had horrendous cup capitulations before but the difference this time is we're sitting as a stable club in 5th place in the premiership following a run of 2 defeats in 12 games (At Ibrox and Pittodrie). When we were humped by Gretna at Hampden or beaten down at QOS in 2007 we were sitting with no money, a shite squad of players and our promotion hopes already down the shitter for another year.

A lot of folk are having a go at Hartley and don't get me wrong, I questioned Loy's selection out on the wing myself but I don't think we can be too harsh on him for picking a side that had been doing well in recent weeks. The early goal totally fucked us yesterday - that come from an individual mistake which is hard to legislate for. It gave Rangers and their crowd a huge lift and was a hammer blow to our players confidence in a red-hot atmosphere. Some of the stuff I've read since the game is absolutely ridiculous. Harkins as usual is now fat and unfit again because we lost and have seen folk tearing into almost every other player at various points.

We've not turned into a bad team overnight because the occasion got to us. We can still have our highest league finish in decades. Just think we need a bit of perspective of where we are as a club compared to the dross we've been used to for as long as I can remember.

Brilliantly put. All in perspective!

Gowser put in his usual shift and looked like one of the few who were actually seething at the overall team performance.

Id' give him a solid 7/10 while the rest of the starting eleven were scoring 4's and 5's. Hemmings covered a lot of ground but was totally starved of any meaningful service. Can't really blame him for that.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Gowser put in his usual shift and looked like one of the few who were actually seething at the overall team performance.

Him and O'Dea were shouting at their teammates all game basically; I'd imagine it's because they fucking hate losing to Rangers tbh.

Need to take stock from that "performance" yesterday, it was brutal. Holt needs dropped for a few games, I've said it time and again that he's just not fast enough; lets far too many crosses in as well. It didn't help that Loy had his worst game in a Dundee shirt.

Putting Kerr in for Holt could have the desired effect of ensuring we aren't shitey going forward and defending from the fullback positions.

The midfield weren't linking together well, especially with Harkins just looking ponderous and not really making much space for our forwards. McGowan did put in his usual shift though, and he's the only one who gets even close to pass marks from yesterday.

Holts mistake is spoken of as if he gave away posession in an isolated position leaving just the keeper to beat. Reality is he was a good 25 metres out with defenders in support. O'Dea did zilch to thwart it and the keeper gave up a near post shot. It's done I know but Holts initial f**k up was a good distance out. I would have taken a desperate tackle and a free kick to defend at that stage. Instead we allowed him to run at us and get a shot off no problem.

Holts mistake is spoken of as if he gave away posession in an isolated position leaving just the keeper to beat. Reality is he was a good 25 metres out with defenders in support. O'Dea did zilch to thwart it and the keeper gave up a near post shot. It's done I know but Holts initial f**k up was a good distance out. I would have taken a desperate tackle and a free kick to defend at that stage. Instead we allowed him to run at us and get a shot off no problem.

I honestly don't think O'Dea could have done much and the boy did strike it well.

Why people want to stick up for Holt is a mystery. Terrible terrible signing anx we deserve what we get if we find that standard acceptable. Time to drop Loy from left midfield. Should be embarrassed by his contribution in recent weeks. No desire to track back and offers little goal threat. Mcgowan and Ross will get overrun by any team that wants to take game to us. We will find out what we are made of in next month

Why people want to stick up for Holt is a mystery. Terrible terrible signing anx we deserve what we get if we find that standard acceptable. Time to drop Loy from left midfield. Should be embarrassed by his contribution in recent weeks. No desire to track back and offers little goal threat. Mcgowan and Ross will get overrun by any team that wants to take game to us. We will find out what we are made of in next month

Exactly my thoughts. I've seen people saying "give him time, he'll come good" all season, but there has been no sign that he's actually learning as he keeps making the same mistakes time and again. He might be okay as a left mid since he's not too bad going forward, but his defending is questionable at best and he's barely an upgrade on Willie Dyer IMO.