All things Dundee FC

Who's not delighted with our form in 2016? Much of the plaudits have rightly gone to O'Dea for steadying the defence, also to Nick Ross for coming into impressive form in the holding midfield role. But I can't help feeling that the catalyst has been the loss of Thompson. As good a player he was, his injury record meant that the midfield never got a chance to settle, chopping and changing almost every week. Now he's gone, Ross and Gowser have had the chance to bed in as a partnership, Ross especially has benefitted from the stability.

Not to discount Hemming's goals, but I'm pleased most with the stability at the back that's allowing our ridiculously talented front players to shine.

Flies in the ointment? Only depth of squad. As I Dundee fan, I still have a pessimistic fear of an injury or two* completely derailing the season.

DBD

*maybe except in the front line. What about Wighton, eh?

Couldn't agree more. The bold Mr T seems to be doing better injury wise since his move so good luck to him I suppose, but must have been crap for boys who knew they'd be shuttled aside whenever he was available for us.

Plus I don't miss waiting on tenterhooks to see if he's fit, and then being silently mega pissed off when he yet again was not.

Who's not delighted with our form in 2016? Much of the plaudits have rightly gone to O'Dea for steadying the defence, also to Nick Ross for coming into impressive form in the holding midfield role. But I can't help feeling that the catalyst has been the loss of Thompson. As good a player he was, his injury record meant that the midfield never got a chance to settle, chopping and changing almost every week. Now he's gone, Ross and Gowser have had the chance to bed in as a partnership, Ross especially has benefitted from the stability.

Not to discount Hemming's goals, but I'm pleased most with the stability at the back that's allowing our ridiculously talented front players to shine.

Flies in the ointment? Only depth of squad. As I Dundee fan, I still have a pessimistic fear of an injury or two* completely derailing the season.

DBD

*maybe except in the front line. What about Wighton, eh?

Good post.

As much as I like saft feet, and miss him somewhat. I agree with you , in that, it's not a coincidence that his departure has culminated in this great wee run of form.

He's 28 and I can't see him going any higher than he currently is. I think we're his level and we're a good fit for him. I guess he'll be here for a good few years yet as long as Hartley wants him.

Hartley mentioned him when GGH extended his contract, here's the Courier report

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-fc/big-boost-for-dundee-as-gary-harkins-extends-deal-at-dens-1.924995

Tickets for the derby are on sale to season ticket holders online now so I've just bought mine. I think it's a f**k up because the information on the Dundee website said it would be tomorrow at 10.

Yeah I was under the impression it was tomorrow at 10 too.. Weird.

I did notice when I was buying the Rangers tickets in the tickets part of the website it said derby on sale today at 4pm. I assumed it was a mistake because the only information released on the website says tomorrow at 10am. They've not tweeted anything either not sure if it's a mistake or not.

Got a bit bored, so tried to logically predict our squad for next season and the situation we'll find ourselves in. Automatically just assumed that the players we have under contract will stay (I'll touch upon that though).

Our squad list for this season:

Goalkeepers

#1: Scott Bain (23) - May 2018.

#12: David Mitchell (25) - May 2017

Defenders

#3: Kevin Holt (22) - May 2018

#4: Thomas Konrad (25) - May 2016

#5: James McPake (30) - May 2017

#6: Daryll Meggatt (24) - May 2017

#16: Julen Etxabeguren Leanizbarrutia (24) - May 2018

#19: Paul McGinn (24) - May 2016

#21: Darren O'Dea (28) - May 2016

#26: Kostadin Gadzhalov (25) - May 2016

Midfielders

#8: Nicky Low (23) - May 2018

#17: Nick Ross (23) - May 2017

#18: Paul McGowan (27) - May 2016

#29: Gary Harkins (30) - May 2016

Strikers

#7: Greg Stewart (25) - May 2017

#9: Rory Loy (27) - May 2018

#15: Kane Hemmings (24) - May 2018

#22 Arturo Juan Rodríguez Pérez-Reverte (26) - On Loan - May 2016

Youths Expected To Complement The Squad

#46: Kyle Gourlay (16) - Goalkeeper.

#50: Ben Priest (18) - Defender

#30 Cammy Kerr (19) - Defender

#27: Jesse Curran (18) - Midfielder

#35: Calvin Colquhoun (19) - Midfielder

#33: Craig Wighton (17) - Striker

#24: Andrew Black (19) - Midfielder

Now let's assume we don't manage to keep O'Dea (No reason for it, that just seems to be the thought process amongst Dees) and we decide not to sign Arturo permanently. And our list of OOC players are Konrad, Gadz, McGinn and McGowan - Hartley has already indicated he wants to sign up the majority and name dropped McGowan in particular, whilst Konrad has said their has been talks about a new deal. Therefore the only one's we might release/not keep are McGinn and Gadz. Personally I think we probably will keep McGinn and Gadz will be offloaded.

In addition to this, I expect a variety of our youth that complemented the squad this season will either be moved on, or moved into the first team such as Kerr, Wighton and potentially Curran/Colquhoun.

Therefore, with the two expected additions of Vincent and Danny Williams, where else would we need to strengthen? Probably CH if we're losing two players in that area.

Goalkeepers

#1: Scott Bain (24)

#12: David Mitchell (26)

Defenders

#3: Kevin Holt (23)

#4: Thomas Konrad (26)

#5: James McPake (31)

#6: Daryll Meggatt (25)

#16: Julen Etxabeguren Leanizbarrutia (25)

#19: Paul McGinn (25)

#30 Cammy Kerr (19)

Midfielders

#8: Nicky Low (24)

#17: Nick Ross (24)

#18: Paul McGowan (28)

#27: Jesse Curran (19)

#29: Gary Harkins (31)

#33: Craig Wighton (18)

#??: Danny Williams (28)

#??: James Vincent (26)

Strikers

#7: Greg Stewart (26)

#9: Rory Loy (28)

#15: Kane Hemmings (25)

Now, that's all well and good assuming that we won't lose Hemmings, Stewart or Bain - but even if that managed to miraculously happen, we still look a touch light up front (As Stewart is essentially another midfielder for us this season). Biggest piece of business we can do going into next season is extending Stewart's contract, not because it'll keep him here longer but it'll put us in a better bargaining position.

Interesting read Ludo! You must have been bored. It would be I'm sure fruitful to have a much smaller movement of players this summer. A bit of continuity can only be beneficial for next season. First, of course, is to secure our place away from the bottom concentrated fight 6 points below us.

Fwiw I was delighted with Gadzhov's performance on Saturday. He looked the part dominating ariel duals and looking tidy on the deck with some good tackles and tidy play out from defence.