All things Dundee FC

Think Arturo is on a trial run right now and was maybe signed because Hartley is anticipating losing a forward in the summer. He has shown a bit of aerial ability in his very brief appearances but the communication isn't there and we can't tell yet if he's got it in him to do the business.

That squad above + 2 centre backs, 1 DM and an attacker would be decent. Hoping that it's O'Dea that stays and provides that. Gadzhalov has been OK back-up and has probably been cost effective but with him hitting 27, I feel we should try and get a younger player in to do his role and think ahead to the future. Saying that though, he played very well on Saturday and he'll have other opportunities at the end of the season - he might still be able to prove himself as a good defender at this level and iron out the wee mistakes. We've certainly had a lot worse.

Bain

McGinn O'Dea? Julen Holt

McGowan Ross

Stewart Harkins Williams

Hemmings

Mitchell, Konrad, McPake, CB, Meggatt, Kerr, Low, DM, Wighton, Vincent, ST and Loy.

Black, Colquhoun, Curran, Gemmell?, Priest?, Dryden, Allan

From that, I think the unnamed youth players will just not quite ready to be part of the first team squad. Curran will be 20, Allan 20, Colquhoun 20, Dryden 20, Black 21, Gemmell 20 and Priest 20. I'd certainly be expecting Black to start playing more of a part if he's got a future here and hopefully a couple of these players emerge as regulars and show they can complement our squad properly or at the least get senior football on loan.

Osman would be a brilliant signing and give us a good midfield option so I'm hoping that we are working on that one. McGowan and Ross have come on leaps and bounds but think we need a proper defensive midfielder in order to compete with the bigger teams and have the option to go negative when necessary.

Just don't really know what the budget Hartley has is but given that Thomson, Irvine, Carriero, Ferry, Roberts and Tankulic all departed this season with only a couple of temporary loans and then Arturo and O'Dea signing up until the end of the season, I'd hope that we've got a bit of manoeuvrability.

For what it's worth, might be a bit controversial, I don't see much in Julen. Doesn't impress me near as much as he seems to with others. I think he's slow, only slightly better than Konrad in the air and loves to hoof the ball more than Konrad does. I think part of the reason that we conceded against Caley was because Julen was drawn out of position far too easily and left a big gap (Which to be fair, should have been covered).

I think Konrad is better with the ball, has better distribution and is quicker to respond. Konrad has a calamity showing every 6-7 games or so, but I think he's our best CH to be paired alongside O'Dea IMO who keeps him organised and less prone to produce a nightmare moment.

Yenitit, on 29 Feb 2016 - 19:14, said:

Julen far superior. Very good Saturday.

Was he though? Has to accept partial culpability in their goal in my opinion, and after they scored I think even James McPake on his crutches would have been able to have had a comfortable day with Caley's attacking intent.

I don't hate Julen, or think he's terrible (Which might be the vibe I'm giving), I just think he's overrated in the eyes of my fellow Dee's.

Hughes has made some interesting comments here (skip to 4:50). Talks about driving Williams and Vincent to Dundee himself to get them to sign if the money you are offering them is true. Not sure how to interpret this. Could be a dig at the ICT board for not backing him financially to get players signed up especially after the success of last season. Alternatively, he might be still annoyed he never got to speak to Dundee United after preaching that ICT wouldn't stand in the way of players wanting to progress and he's still upset he wasn't afforded the same courtesy so he's making it clear he won't hold players back. Anyway, interview is here if you are interested.

Bit of a slap in the face for Caley fans for him to be saying that. Did he not take a similar stance when Celtic were after Christie. Don't know if it's the case but it certainly appears like he tries to play the, 'This is a diddy club, looking how I'm keeping them overachieving and developing their players. Now please can another team take a chance on me' a bit often.

I think it's got to be a bit of a dig at his board, saying that Caley can't possibly compete financially with some other clubs.

Would take it with a pinch of salt, he'll be into discussions about setting his budget for next year already and will just be trying to squeeze as much as he can from them.

Either that or we are going baws oot again.

#admin3

Bit of a slap in the face for Caley fans for him to be saying that. Did he not take a similar stance when Celtic were after Christie. Don't know if it's the case but it certainly appears like he tries to play the, 'This is a diddy club, looking how I'm keeping them overachieving and developing their players. Now please can another team take a chance on me' a bit often.

He pretty much whored Christie out to Celtic. Recently he said that he was "thrilled to see Ryan come on for Celtic" and he "took great pride in seeing him wear the Hoops". Absolutely mind boggling stuff from the manager of ICT.

If Hartley leaves Dundee before Hughes leaves Caley, he'll be linked with the job purely due to that comment about, 'I'd be there too if they were offering me that money'.

[\quote]

God I hope not.

Season ticket would be going right in the bin with his eye bleed inducing tactics

I'd despise Hughes as a manager, seems happy to let reliable players leave so he can sign central midfielders as part of his "philosophy" and has no love for any club except Celtic

I'd despise Hughes as a manager, seems happy to let reliable players leave so he can sign central midfielders as part of his "philosophy" and has no love for any club except Celtic

His signings have been almost exclusively shite since he took over. I'm expecting a number of familiar faces to leave this summer. I don't think the likes of Raven or Doran will be at ICT next year and I have absolutely no faith in his ability to replace them.

Edited by RiG

His signings have been almost exclusively shite since he took over. I'm expecting a number of familiar faces to leave this summer. I don't think the likes of Raven or Doran will be at ICT next year and I have absolutely no faith in his ability to replace them.

Roberts looks a player. Tell Yogi to bring him with him when he's bringing Vincent and Williams down. There's a good lad.

So Williams has to show 'it's no aboot the money' and Vincent's hasn't been offered a contract by ICT.

Is Yogi as thick as he sounds?

I can understand Vincent not being offered a contract. He's only played something like 60 games in nearly three seasons. He's too injury prone.

The Williams comment I don't even know where to begin with that. If Yogi is wanting him to show that he wants to stay at ICT surely offering him a deal and have him sign it would have been a good way to do that? Perhaps several weeks / months ago instead of waiting for a rival side to bid for him? Bizarre man.