Scottish Cup Thread

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

must be some mistake. surely such a massive club sold out Meadowbank stadium several times over.

From what I had read on here, I expected them to have a much bigger support. Disappointed by their turn out

It's been said on here a million times, but it serves the SJFA members right when they get papped out the SFA Cup- and an especially good giggle when it happens against what they consider "inferior", less-moneyed opposition.

Rose won. Will be interesting to see which non league will do best. Fairly equal amount of teams now.

Each has 1 'internal' tie so all guaranteed someone into R3. Juniors have the best draw given 0 of 6 drew SPFL opposition while 4 of 8 did so from both HL + LL.

That's true. A junior vs spl2 match and a hl vs ll are the only things missing from the draw.

Well, in the end it did all largely go to script... 3 Juniors, 2 HL and 2 LL progressing, with 1 further HL obtaining a replay and 1 LL playing tomorrow.

bonkers to be re-scheduling these games on the same day as a Scotland international.

why are the rules about replays so rigid? holding these games on Friday / following Tuesday would make much more sense for gates and for fans who want to take in both games, buit will be forced to choose.

Rules aren't rigid at all. Clubs can replay this midweek, next weekend, or next midweek. Any day except a Thursday or Friday.

23. Drawn or Unplayed Ties, excluding Semi-Finals and Final Ties

(a) When a first match in the Preliminary Round (if applicable), Round One, Round Two or Round Three is drawn, or is not played on or before the original date, the drawn or unplayed match shall be replayed or played on the Saturday following the first match or the date fixed therefor, or in the second midweek following the original match date, unless the two clubs, the relevant authorities and the Scottish FA are all agreeable that the match be played on an earlier date.

The drawn or unplayed match shall take place on a day to be mutually agreed by the two clubs, other than Thursday or Friday.

Here was this rounds roster:

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/ScottishCup/2014-15/WHSC%20Round%20Two%20Fixtures.pdf

Auchinleck done me out £250. Diddy pub team c***s. Serves me right though. It was silly backing a wee junior outfit against a higher ranked senior club.

Did you not back Linlithgow or Hurlford? They were both playing higher ranked senior clubs ...

yeah, fair enough.

clearly a bonkers decision by the clubs...space was there to agree a more sensible date.

I'm guessing those games are to be played on an afternoon for floodlight reasons.

must be some mistake. surely such a massive club sold out Meadowbank stadium several times over.

Far be it from me to defend my Talbot chums but they made a journey of over 80 miles and constituted 2/3 of the crowd. I wonder how many other teams in the second round of this competition took 350 or more to an away game. Very few I'd imagine. Setting aside the obsession of a couple of them, I'd say that's a more than decent effort from a village of their size. If I were from a village/town that size I'd be pretty proud of taking 10% of the population to a game like this. There are a lot of teams playing at higher level from bigger places than Auchinleck who wouldn't take anything like 350 with them.

I'm guessing those games are to be played on an afternoon for floodlight reasons.

Up to and including R3 clubs are permitted a second Saturday in the event of a postponement or replay, if they want one.

(Before the 2007 restructuring it was up to and including R2 - in both cases equating to the round before top division clubs join).

From R4 onward it's straight to midweek.

As you say, it's probably a concession to part-time and particularly unlit clubs.

Of course - in any round, if the tie is still undecided after the first reattempt (and nowadays that means there'd need to have been a postponement somewhere), they must start reattempting twice a midweek, each midweek, until the tie is resolved... Mondays/Tuesdays + Wednesdays.

This applies even to clubs without lights. Several matches in the early rounds have been played on weekday afternoons in recent years.

Did you not back Linlithgow or Hurlford? They were both playing higher ranked senior clubs ...

Hurlford totally outclassed Locos in almost every department today FWIW. Won almost every 50/50. Couldn't get to Brechin in time today so I caught that one instead.

Well, in the end it did all largely go to script... 3 Juniors, 2 HL and 2 LL progressing, with 1 further HL obtaining a replay and 1 LL playing tomorrow.

Slightly surprised that League Two was that strong and that Talbot lost, otherwise as expected. Looking forward to the draw.

Far be it from me to defend my Talbot chums but they made a journey of over 80 miles and constituted 2/3 of the crowd. I wonder how many other teams in the second round of this competition took 350 or more to an away game. Very few I'd imagine. Setting aside the obsession of a couple of them, I'd say that's a more than decent effort from a village of their size. If I were from a village/town that size I'd be pretty proud of taking 10% of the population to a game like this. There are a lot of teams playing at higher level from bigger places than Auchinleck who wouldn't take anything like 350 with them.

Put that way, it was a decent turn out, but there have been Talbot fans on here in the past who claimed that they had the third biggest travelling support in Scottish football, not just junior football. I wpould have thought that it was a tie in the "big" Scottish would have seen a bigger support travel through on the basis that they might have some support from nearby villages - I know that New Cumnock and Cumnock are on your doorstep. Your support was generally well behaved, but the chant hoping Ally Semple would die in his sleep left more than a sour taste. Have to say, I was disappointed by Talbot as a team. Even allowing for them being down to 10 men for more than half the game they didnt create one clear cut chance from open play in the entire match IIRC. Usually Talbot come into their own in the second half and whilst they had a lot of possession, they were not able to impose their usual pressing style, maybe because Meadowbank is much wider than the typical junior pitch and they seemed to run out of ideas. There was no doubt, that Edinburgh City used the width and their extra man well and looked the smarter and more sussed off the two sides, hitting very well on the break.

Archived