It's not looking good is it?

Bill.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe any of project fear but having worked in banking for 10 years or so and having worked at Gogarburn in the past, I'm fairly certain that a Yes vote will lead to job losses in that sector.

Now that may just be a hunch but having worked at RBS throughout the time they went bust, I wouldn't believe anything written in an email to staff.

I am away from there now, and will vote Yes next week. However, it is absolute folly to dismiss concerns about job losses out of hand. It is a real concern. I don't think it would do the Yes campaign any harm to admit this.

This. Anyone who thinks "there will be no job losses!!!!" is a total roaster. Jobs will go. The question is how many.

they cant, even if job losses are minimal, mention that there "could" be job losses before the vote will have the no campaign using that at every opportunity

Its daft to let unionists harp on about job loses though. Cos like Scotland really has a thriving and competitive industrial and manufacturing base now.

We must have dreamt about all the Scottish "proper" jobs destroyed in the past 40 years. Skilled industries harpooned through poor management and political ideology. Lives rendered worthless

The countless more job losses that are bound to happen in the current and future UK austerity drive.

Better together eh?

This. Anyone who thinks "there will be no job losses!!!!" is a total roaster. Jobs will go. The question is how many.

I don't know much about the finance sector so I can't comment on job losses there. I reckon certain jobs will be lost as the economy adapts in an Independent Scotland, those associated with Trident for example.

But I would make these two points.

Firstly, overall economic activity can, and I believe will increase as we spend our resources on more labour intensive activities. This in turn will have a multiplier effect.

Secondly, what guarantees do we have in the finance (or other) sectors in the event of a NO vote?

I can understand people who will partly base their decision on "what about MY job" but I hope there are more who will look at the bigger picture and the longer term and think "what about OUR future jobs".

Selective editing to prove a point? Really?

Absolutely not at all and the fact that you couldn't stick with the line of thought is disturbing.

What folk were discussing was the possible loss of revenue from RBS and if or if not that had been factored in to the budget of iScotland.

Your "After all you look at all the small nations who benefit from providing financial services; Bahamas, Luxembourg, Caymans, Panama, New Zealand. All these countries do very well from providing a low tax base for savings and investments. Just being small doesn't make it uncompetitive and in the case of banking, it can be the opposite." may or may not be true but was totally missing the point.

Is it possible for you to allow normal people to have a discussion about practical aspect of independence?

Have a minute on the naughty step for each year of your life. Talk to us again in 14 minutes.

I am happy to take that as a point, if you are willing to accept that jobs could also be created.

To suggest that it's all one way traffic I can't accept.

They "could" be created, yes.

But automatically dismissing every single story about possible job losses as "scaremongering!!" has almost become a hobby for some Yessers. I really hope that it's just a political stance and that these people aren't dim enough to actually believe it.

It's fair enough to argue "yes there will be some jobs lost, but more jobs will be created in independent Scotland so we'll be better off", but just blindly dismissing everything said by any company that's even remotely negative about independence is real head in sand stuff. I really hope these idiots don't work in a sector where jobs go, otherwise they're in for a hell of a shock.

Absolutely not at all and the fact that you couldn't stick with the line of thought is disturbing.

Did you actually read what I said? Clearly not, but hey, why not pick out one particular paragraph. Why are you ignoring the first statement in my reply, or did you forget the other posts I've made in this thread?

But automatically dismissing every single story about possible job losses as "scaremongering!!" has almost become a hobby for some Yessers. I really hope that it's just a political stance and that these people aren't dim enough to actually believe it.

It's fair enough to argue "yes there will be some jobs lost, but more jobs will be created in independent Scotland so we'll be better off", but just blindly dismissing everything said by any company that's even remotely negative about independence is real head in sand stuff. I really hope these idiots don't work in a sector where jobs go, otherwise they're in for a hell of a shock.

I don't think I ever have, but if you are aiming that in general fair enough.

The issue of potential job losses is serious and deserves to be debated in a serious manner.

What has pissed many of us of is the headlines being peddled by NO, which the media have been complicit in, that have no foundation.

Also the views of the guys at Aberdeen Asset Management that have barely been given a mention.

Again then, throw your argument into reverse.

We already know thousands of jobs have been and will continue to be lost in Scotland under the union. That is fact. Not campaign bullshit.

Lets hear some of your proposals that would assist job creation in Scotland whilst in the union.

Oh, No voters :(

I can understand Bill's excitement as he's clearly just an elderly racist Englishman, but why are Scottish No voters wringing their hands in glee at the prospect of Scottish job losses? Even though there won't be any.

The very WORST kind of Scottish person.

I don't believe any of project fear but having worked in banking for 10 years or so and having worked at Gogarburn in the past, I'm fairly certain that a Yes vote will lead to job losses in that sector.

Now that may just be a hunch but having worked at RBS throughout the time they went bust, I wouldn't believe anything written in an email to staff.

I am away from there now, and will vote Yes next week. However, it is absolute folly to dismiss concerns about job losses out of hand. It is a real concern. I don't think it would do the Yes campaign any harm to admit this.

I tend to agree, but I don't see why there would be *net* losses in banking, as many banks that currently have no operations here would have to set up (small) operations here. I think the biggest losses would be in pensions, as the UK gives tax relief on the contributions of UK residents. Not all pensions jobs would need to move, but some would. We should balance things like that against the fact that many businesses will need to set up formally registered Scottish subsidiaries and submit separate tax returns for their activities here. Lots of work created by that. There will also be new ministries (Defence, Finance etc) and other government organisations (like regulators), not to mention embassies. Only a liar or a fool would try to say right now what the net result will be.

Archived