Referendum night. Expected results

~~~

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The temptation of the bottle of 18 year old Auchentoshan may be too much for you if we get independence :thumsup2

In all honesty, I think it tastes like shite, but convention here dictates that as I have something to celebrate(I hope) I have to be the one supplying the bevvy.

That said, there is every chance it will be opened on the train to work and long gone by the time I make it to the office...

Anyone know why Orkney and Shetland seem to be destined to declare as No?

Although they get lumped together, it isn't always sensible given the way Orkney is a lot closer to the mainland. In Shetland, a lot of people never really embraced being Scottish because a large portion of the population was of Viking ancestry (the islands were handed over to Scotland as part of a dowry in the 1460s) and the shift from Norse customs to Scottish feudal ones is generally viewed as having been a backward step for the local people. The Norn language was still on the go into the 1700s and some of the Norse customs like the patronymic naming system lasted until about 150 years ago. I did my family tree a couple of years back and didn't have to go back too many generations beyond my grandmother's to reach female Shetlanders with -daughter surnames in the old parish records. The Church of Scotland eventually forced the Norse descended families to adopt a fixed -son surname.

I know they don't feel particularly Scottish, especially with their Nordic roots, however I would have thought they would have preferred to be ruled from Edinburgh than London

Unfortunately they don't and won't. Shetland (and Orkney) have done very well for themselves over the years from oil revenues thanks to negotiating directly with Westminster, and largely bypassing what was then the Scottish Office.

Are any posters on here from Orkney or Shetland? It would be interesting to get your thoughts.

Unfortunately they don't and won't....

"I'm a Shetlander and British but not Scottish" was always my grandmother's take on the subject even after 50 years of living in the central belt. That kind of sentiment isn't as strong with the younger generations, who grew up with Grampian TV (hence why they voted Yes Yes in 1997) but it is still there, so there's not been enough of a shift in the mentality of Shetlanders for there to be a Yes to independence. The SNP weren't able to beat the Lib Dems there in 2011 in a similar manner to mainland constituencies. The preferred alternative to Tavish Scott was a local independent candidate who came close but didn't quite get the job done. The big change from the 70s is that this can no longer be used as an effective wedge issue by BBC journalists with an agenda, because people remember how much was done by Westminster about any Shetland aspirations about greater self-government after they delivered a resounding No in 1979, i.e. hee haw.

An estimated 90% of the resident English in Scotland will vote no. That means that in the event of a small margin of less than 8%, they will determine the outcome of this referendum. How is that democratic or equitable? Based on recent polls the Scottish people are voting YES, it’s only the English resident in Scotland who are being joined by a minority of Scottish sympathisers that may win the day for NO. I am voting YES tomorrow in line with the sovereign will of the SCOTTISH people. I hope you do too.

Note: Ironically, the undemocratic political influence that England has over Scotland could be the very same influence that returns a no vote - how sad that would be - Vote Yes

An estimated 90% of the resident English in Scotland will vote no. That means that in the event of a small margin of less than 8%, they will determine the outcome of this referendum. How is that democratic or equitable? Based on recent polls the Scottish people are voting YES, it’s only the English resident in Scotland who are being joined by a minority of Scottish sympathisers that may win the day for NO. I am voting YES tomorrow in line with the sovereign will of the SCOTTISH people. I hope you do too.

Note: Ironically, the undemocratic political influence that England has over Scotland could be the very same influence that returns a no vote - how sad that would be - Vote Yes

Oh dear.

The referendum is about where you live now, not where you were born. Who is going to be affected more by the result, someone born in Scotland who lives in Portsmouth, or someone born in Portsmouth who lives in Scotland?

Because they live here and they have a right to help decision the future of the country

So will north Lanarkshire and Inverclyde give an early indication of which way it's going do you think? If it's yes in nl and tight in Inverclyde it will be game on I think.

I live and actively canvassed in Coatbridge and work between Uddingston, Bellshill and Motherwell.

Coatbridge is a definite YES and Motherwell is a YES. Bellshill will vote NO, but not by a clear majority. Airdrie is almost a total polar opposite to Coatbridge but, if canvass and stall support is anything to go by, Airdrie could surprise a few and vote YES. Coatbridge is a a traditional Labour heartland. Put a red rosette on a donkey and it'd win an election. However, the general view here among the working class is that, yes they are traditional Labour voters, but are fed up with the Tory governments they didn't vote for. Was blown away by the amount of people that told me that when out canvassing. Can see Coatbridge having a 55% Yes majority.

On the whole though, I really can't call it. If the working class of North Lanarkshire go out in their droves tomorrow I can see it being Yes, but not by much. Cumbernauld might be the town to decide the overall percentage for NL.

Archived