Partick Thistle vs St Mirren - 19/09/14

Is Ball the lad that looks like the son of Yardley? I couldn't read the names due to that horrible strip. Who was the young lad playing next to Goodwin at centre back in the first half? He wad having a horror show before being hooked!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Ball the lad that looks like the son of Yardley? I couldn't read the names due to that horrible strip. Who was the young lad playing next to Goodwin at centre back in the first half? He wad having a horror show before being hooked!

Plummer

Cheers Barra. That really hurt as St Mirren were truly rancid in the first half. They won a corner just before half time and their fans didn't even cheervas they were that bad in that period. Second half was a no show from Thistle and we let a bad side win a game that should have been wrapped up at the break :(

<<< seething

Archie out! :(

Fs Partick!? What's going on?! Best side I've seen against Dundee all season, watched the first half and you looked comfortable and I come back to see, this?!

Second half was a no show. Saints ended up with 60% posession. I've had a day I'd rather forget all round :(

Fs Partick!? What's going on?! Best side I've seen against Dundee all season, watched the first half and you looked comfortable and I come back to see, this?!

True but Stevenson, Bannigan and Balatoni were awful tonight, even in the first half.Apart from a couple of tackles, Carroll made no impact. Sadly, tonight's game confirmed that Archie and Shaggy are tactically inept and clueless when making substitutions.. The value of victories against the likes of ICT are cancelled by the gutless surrender to the Buddies.

What a bunch of pathetic bottle merchants.

St Mirren's first half performance was as bad as I've seen from the opposition since we got promoted back to the top flight, and yet only going in with a one goal advantage, I had a feeling that we still would struggle to win the game. It's not even surprising any more to see that kind of display in the 2nd half; dropping further and further back from the offset, struggling to clear our lines, giving away daft free kicks and corners, and generally looking like a bunch of complete and utter shitebags when asked to defend a lead.

^^^seething.

Where's Standfree? He's usually along by now on a St Mirren thread after a game.

First half we completely lacked a plan of attack. Long balls to Marwood were hopeless and we rarely used proper width in Wylde and Teale. Thistle deservedly in front at the break and Doolan should have buried his chance after the goal as well.

Second half was really exciting, felt we owned it and were deserved winners in the end, although I wouldn't begrudge Thistle fans for thinking a draw was fair. The belief was there for all to see, and we used Tesselaar a lot more to ping balls into the box - one of which resulting in the equaliser.

Against Killie I was screaming for Ball to come on and partner Marwood. One up front isn't working for us and I feel we need his presence there. He was able to win more headers and more fouls which helped us retain possession in the Thistle half for longer spells. Pillar was in my way for the penalty but highlights show it to be a stonewaller. McLean lashes home to ensure utter scenes.

Perfect? Far from it. A catalyst? Here's hoping.

Long balls to Marwood were hopeless

That's where the game was won and lost. Long balls to Marwood were meat and drink for our defence. Long balls to Ball were a totally different matter and given we lined up with Bala and Muirhead in D then it's not really a surprise to be outmuscled.

Watching the highlights, Fox's save in the lead-up to the penalty was a bit over-dramatic, no? Incident looks like it could have been totally avoided.

From where I was it looked like free kick swerved, I hate to say it but Ronaldo-esque. Fox was punching at things all night so was hardly a surprise.

Can't Believe Fox got picked for Scotland. :lol:

Fox was the highest regular playing Scottish eligible goalkeeper at the time. Show's more the lack of depth after the Big 3 IMO.

Just watched the highlights, can't really comment on the entire performance.

It's good to see a sub having an impact, and Ball getting off the mark. He appears to be a player who will only really come alive in the box, so we need to play to that.

It still looks like our defence needs improvement, absolutely horrific effort from Plummer for Doolans goal.

Hopefully this kick-starts our season

He started Marewood up front himself against Kilmarnock... It (as expected) never worked. I couldn't believe it when he did the same thing again tonight.

Not surprisingly it resulted in a horrific first half performance, followed by a better second half one when the selection error was corrected.

Like I said earlier, I like Ball. He's trimmed down and sharpened up. He has the look of a double figure Premiership striker to me. Was delighted to see him get his goal tonight, he needs to start next week.

Anyway, good solid 3 points. That's us in a better position now then we were after 6 games last season, not that that is saying much!

Being a Partick fan must be infuriating, one of the most inconsistent (don't know if thats the right word here, unpredictable might be better) sides in the league

Only seen the first half but Thistle were by far the better side in the first half. They weren't as impressive as they were at Dens but still a decent first half showing. Poor defending for the first and a really poor line nearly caused Doolan to get a second straight after. The boy Marwood should have levelled things when he tried to place his shot instead of laces through it from the edge of the box.

Never seen the second half but a good turn around for saints. This win just holds off the inevitable for a wee while for dear tommy though.

Archived