Pimms Jamboree at Trafalgar Square

QPSAFalkirkFirm

Well the same crowd that attends anything to with a royal parade and The Proms heard there was free flags available and trotted down to Trafalgar Square this evening to let the Scots know we were " jolly good eggs" and reassure us that the there would always be a warmth in their hearts for the Jocks. How bloody insulting!

Showing a complete and utter lack of awareness of the political maelstrom up here, in their colonial manner they think the answer to it all is to get the bunting out and parade a few old queens. Hoorah! And to cap it all it's in London just to remind us all, as if we needed it, that all important events only ever happen in London. I guess Leeds, Liverpool and Newcastle were all shut for the night due to cuts! And at Trafalgar Square, a monument to English Imperialism.

It's like setting a bag of shite on fire on some bodies doorstep and ringing the bell.

It's a real toughie deciding whether to go with the historical perspective of Tom Devine, the head honcho, mass-published Godfather of Scottish historical studies since seemingly forever, or Dan Snow - a run-of-the-mill graduate who claims to be a historian off the basis of who his father is.

Maybe they chose Trafalgar Square because it's where the Scotland support used to congregate on Wembley trips during the Home Internationals? Seems very elite-driven and the impression I get is most English people really don't see this as an existential threat to their sense of nationhood the way most non-Quebecois Canadians did during the last Quebec, referendum, so are really not that bothered about the outcome hence the Tory backbencher opposition to more powers.

The glorious thing is that these people don't have a vote.

Much like David Beckham. Did anyone, just anyone, think that having David Beckham plead for the union was going to have a positive effect on the Scottish electorate? The best the Bitters could hope for is for it not to lose them votes.

He was their headliner too. Maybe John Prescott was in charge of that one.

It's a real toughie deciding whether to go with the historical perspective of Tom Devine, the head honcho, mass-published Godfather of Scottish historical studies since seemingly forever, or Dan Snow - a run-of-the-mill graduate who claims to be a historian off the basis of who his father is.

He also claims the sodjies had a rare old time in the trenches during WW1. Fucking loved it, so they did.

Many soldiers enjoyed WW1. If they were lucky they would avoid a big offensive, and much of the time conditions might be better than at home.

For the British there was meat every day - a rare luxury back home - cigarettes, tea and rum, part of a daily diet of more than 4,000 calories.

Remarkably, absentee rates due to sickness, an important barometer of a unit's morale, were hardly above those of peacetime. Many young men enjoyed the guaranteed pay, the intense comradeship, the responsibility and a much greater sexual freedom than in peacetime Britain.

:blink:

At least he says they enjoyed it because life in Britain was so dire though. Sometimes even a Dan Snow type can tell the truth by accident.

Saw Bob Geldof doing his usual and trying to be a man of the people and saying that every nation in Britain wasn't happy with Westminster, but the Scots 'Shouldn't go taking the huff and leave'.

Clearly not got a clue.

He also claims the sodjies had a rare old time in the trenches during WW1. Fucking loved it, so they did.

:blink:

At least he says they enjoyed it because life in Britain was so dire though. Sometimes even a Dan Snow type can tell the truth by accident.

I'm reading a book on WWI at the moment. It's a bunch of stories written by the people who were actually in the trenches. Epic tragedy is how I would describe it.

Piss off Izzard and Snow organising this "ooh please stay" demo in Trafalgar square with fucking Gove and Geldof in tow. Fucking bollocks. Suddenly it's all one big society, like everyone hasn't been out for themselves for the last 35 years! Who gives a shit. Whatever the UK had post-war it's been lost, or sold off. Move on. By the end of the week we (residents of Scotland) have to live with the decision and all these "ooh please stay" mob will be back at work or looking at their new iPhone. c***s.

Of course, Dan Snow's interest in keeping Scotland as part of the UK is nothing at all to do with who his father in law is, no siree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Grosvenor,_6th_Duke_of_Westminster

To be fair Eddie Izzard has put more effort into trying to keep Britain together than Westminster has. He was out campaigning from very early on and I genuinely believe he wants Scotland to stay part of the union for reasons beyond money, which again is more than can be said for Westminster.

Both Izzard and Snow were interviewed on Sky and actually came across well, acknowledging the scare mongering and our right to decide but basically asking us to stay. It's not enough to change my mind but I think they deserve a bit of credit for trying something other than fear to get us to stay.

I have to add though that the opinions of those Down South have largely been responsible for my conversion from No voter to Yes voter ... with many of them being genuine friends of mine that I've lived and worked with in the past.

The majority of these opinions have been expressed via Facebook and I've sensed the surprise when the Jock they forgot they had on their friends list suddenly jumped in to shoot down their utter pish :P

Archived