Greece

Dindeleux

On 11/07/2023 at 21:00, michakamp said:

What are the best greek islands for the families? Santorini is more a party place if i understand that right?

We (me, wife and 12 year old daughter) came back last week from Kos, stayed in a quieter part of Kos town, absolutely loved it.

15 minute walk to the old town/port which is the busy area, but mostly families and couples. Some groups of blokes and girls but nothing outrageous, a really relaxing holiday, would go back anytime.

Great restaurants, reasonable prices for food and drinks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 23/02/2023 at 16:46, welshbairn said:

Just booked up for Rethymno in November/December, gambling that the weather is decent. Any tips welcome, bit of a random pick, hope it's not a shithole, got a flat for half price by booking for a month. :1eye

On 23/02/2023 at 18:05, Ewanandmoreagain said:

I think you are brave going so late in the year !

What does Wikipedia say about the weather ?

I would have thought all flats would be cheap.

Internet reckons between 10 and 20 C.

so o K. ?!

Ag. Nic. - bus trip to the Plain of the Windmills was good.

Samaria Gorge might be dangerous this time of year

Lucked out with an unseasonably lovely low to mid 20s. Cracking rooftop apartment. Any tips on where to go welcome. 

17002306893626616075892017576781.thumb.j

4 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

You do not need to be young to scuba dive out there

Might give it a go then, my taxi driver reckoned that the sea's still warm because there's no snow on the mountains to melt and cool it down. Went snorkelling in the Red Sea when I was a youngster and it was phenomenal. 

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Might give it a go then, my taxi driver reckoned that the sea's still warm because there's no snow on the mountains to melt and cool it down. Went snorkelling in the Red Sea when I was a youngster and it was phenomenal. 

Taxi driver has it sussed !

IIRC Heraklion has an old , historic , walled town centre.

There is also another fairly famous historic attraction fairly near to Heraklion. Minos ?

You could have a trip to Santorini. I do not know if this can be done in a day though. You could spend a few days there

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Knossos.

Internet advertising 13 hour !

day trips to Santorini ( if still running )

• 5 months later...
On 22/07/2023 at 23:47, Cowdenleith said:

We (me, wife and 12 year old daughter) came back last week from Kos, stayed in a quieter part of Kos town, absolutely loved it.

15 minute walk to the old town/port which is the busy area, but mostly families and couples. Some groups of blokes and girls but nothing outrageous, a really relaxing holiday, would go back anytime.

Great restaurants, reasonable prices for food and drinks.

We’ve just booked a week in Kos town for June, sounds ideal based on your description!