Jack Harper

jamiefitz

2 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:
2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:
So we should fire all of our coaching staff because some wean you've never seen play says he hasn't had a phone call?

No, we should sack them all because they're fivkin) fuckin useless and should never have gotten their jobs in the first place

Are you mwi? 

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's safe to say the chances of Harper being a wildcard in the squad any time soon are quite low.

Malaga signed 4/5 players in January and they all seem to be getting game time. The signed another big lump of a striker, so Harper is basically 3rd choice there (in a team that's starting to play 1 up front more often). They've also signed a young guy on loan from Getafe, gave him the No.10 kit and he's starting in Harper's usual positions a lot of the time.

Harper's averaging 20 mins as a sub over the last three games and could be stuck in a rotation for a wide place in midfield.

From watching 5 or 6 of his games this year, I'd say he's a decent player but doesn't have much of a spark. He doesn't run at defenders much, he's not a great goalscorer. He's just kind of there. Making the odd good touch or turn, and constantly pressing the opposition (which he gives away a ridiculous amount of fouls for).  Maybe the muscle injury from a few months ago has affected him a little.

I'd still like to see him get a chance at some point. San Marino would have been a good chance for him to come on as a 2nd half sub but it's probably came too soon.  

Edited by charger29

22 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Disgraceful that Oli McBurnie was picked ahead of him for the under 19s though.

Agreed. Disappointing he didn't get a chance with the u21's either, although for different reasons.

It will be interesting to see what happens with him in the summer. Apparently Malaga want to re-sign him again, but if Getafe somehow hold onto a CL spot and are still interested, then he might have to go.

Is that record time for someone to go from "OMG WHY HE NO GETTING PICKED" to, "probably third choice for his lower division club"?  Maybe he's always been on the radar, and just never seemed to offer what we needed?

Agree that he should have been given the chance at the youth levels though.  It's something that always baffles me about our setup - surely the whole point of the U19 - U21 - Senior path is that it should actually be a path?  We should be bringing promising players into the U19s with a view to weeding out those that aren't good enough, promoting the ones that are to U21, and getting them playing how they would in the seniors.  Instead, we seem to have wildly different setups, and randomly promote players before sending them back.  There's very little joined up thinking, or at least that's how it appears.

On 28/02/2019 at 10:41, forameus said:

Is that record time for someone to go from "OMG WHY HE NO GETTING PICKED" to, "probably third choice for his lower division club"?  Maybe he's always been on the radar, and just never seemed to offer what we needed?

Agree that he should have been given the chance at the youth levels though.  It's something that always baffles me about our setup - surely the whole point of the U19 - U21 - Senior path is that it should actually be a path?  We should be bringing promising players into the U19s with a view to weeding out those that aren't good enough, promoting the ones that are to U21, and getting them playing how they would in the seniors.  Instead, we seem to have wildly different setups, and randomly promote players before sending them back.  There's very little joined up thinking, or at least that's how it appears.

I cant imagine Gemmill and Sbragia are capable of forming independent thoughts, never mind getting their heads around the idea of joined up thinking.

Some meeting of minds when those two and Mcleish meet to talk about set ups and promising players, I'd imagine.

On 26/02/2019 at 15:01, craigkillie said:

Disgraceful that Oli McBurnie was picked ahead of him for the under 19s though.

McBrunie probably did more to merit it. Given he’s now in the senior squad i don’t follow the logic. 

I'm just hoping this McBrunie lad is better than McBurnie - who has been utter pipe/gubbins/bobbins for us so far  

Maybe so, but he knows how to hing a pair of socks!!!

On 3/2/2019 at 21:38, Gordopolis said:

I'm just hoping this McBrunie lad is better than McBurnie - who has been utter pipe/gubbins/bobbins for us so far

It's Scott Brown's new alter-ego.  Like Hulk Hogan's Mr America.  Brown will come in with a mask and McLeish just cannae work it out.

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:41, forameus said:

Souttar, McKenna and Bates were all in the U21's last campaign and have progressed to the full team in an area where we were desperately lacking options. McBurnie and Burke also moved up.  That's a pretty good return and if you watch U21 football it's not a wildly different set-up to the full team.

Now, if we can find a couple of right-backs that would help.

Off topic I know, but I’ve never quite understood why Phil Bardsley has been in the International wilderness for so long now. Pretty much been a regular Right Back in the English Premier League for years now.

7 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Souttar, McKenna and Bates were all in the U21's last campaign and have progressed to the full team in an area where we were desperately lacking options. McBurnie and Burke also moved up.  That's a pretty good return and if you watch U21 football it's not a wildly different set-up to the full team.

Ross McRorie would be good in that position if he could get some experience at club level. 

8 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Off topic I know, but I’ve never quite understood why Phil Bardsley has been in the International wilderness for so long now. Pretty much been a regular Right Back in the English Premier League for years now.

I suspect he has no interest.