Increased engagement in politics; gone

DA Baracus

We heard how the massive turnout showed that people were engaged in politics.

Sadly it's now apparent that many were 'engaged' through fear. Listening to a phone in and the vast majority of NO supporters are describing themselves as 'relived' rather than delighted or pleased etc. In the next general election most of these voters will return to apathy and not bother voting or will just go through the motions and blindly vote Labour as usual regardless of issues.

I also think a large portion of YES campaigners will just be utterly burst and wonder what the point is. They'll be lost to politics for a long time if not for good.

In the general election next year people will just vote in the establishment as that's in their comfort zone and to step outside it clearly terrifies many.

When you're up against so many who so easily believe the blatant shite from the establishment, it does seem rather pointless.

Turnout for the next general election was always going to drop quite a bit whatever the referendum outcome, but now it's going an even bigger drop.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to burst your bubble OP but politicians are untrustworthy and no matter who's in power you can't rely on them for anything.

The only reason I disliked Salmond more is that he didn't have a plan and that would have caused mayhem. In addition to the political ramifications across Europe it would have been disastrous if Yes succeeded.

The economy of the UK and Scotland are in trouble though thanks to resting an economy's growth on mortgaged debt.

my advice to young people in the UK including Scotland is to emigrate while you still can

Hate to burst your bubble OP but politicians are untrustworthy and no matter who's in power you can't rely on them for anything.

The only reason I disliked Salmond more is that he didn't have a plan and that would have caused mayhem. In addition to the political ramifications across Europe it would have been disastrous if Yes succeeded.

The economy of the UK and Scotland are in trouble though thanks to resting an economy's growth on mortgaged debt.

my advice to young people in the UK including Scotland is to emigrate while you still can

You still here?

I'm incredibluy disappointed for so many reasons.

For me, no matter how good the arguement for independence was, if it didn't have personal benefits for many, many people, they just weren't interested.

And I point the finger at the older generation for this. Older people who doubtless have children and grandchildren but put their personal gain and comfort over and above any betterment for future generations.

For me, no matter how good the arguement for independence was, if it didn't have personal benefits for many, many people, they just weren't interested.

And I point the finger at the older generation for this. Older people who doubtless have children and grandchildren but put their personal gain and comfort over and above any betterment for future generations.

Not that I don't agree with the sentiment of your post mate, I think the bit in bold is subjective to what you believed to be on offer........which 55% of the Electorate questioned.

Lots of PC stuff flying around about how great all this democracy is. If you're In a contest you should be wanting to win. YES got beat. The country has lost a massive opportunity here and without doubt it was the senior ages, and I would define that as 45 years plus, who took the easy option. I had a rosette on yesterday and I was labelled a traitor by one surly 60 year old.

Congratulations to those in the YES camp who enjoyed victory in their own areas. Bitter sweet I'd imagine. Perhaps feelings of the team letting them down but at least they had some joy that their 'bit' was done. Absolutely gutted that Falkirk walked away in the end. Shameful.

Yes I'm sure every pensioner in the country voted without a single thought for their family.

Stuff like this is what sours peoples opinions of nationalists.

You'd do well to consider that most of those selfish old buggers have lived at least twice as long as you and will be better placed to spot a political shyster when they see one.

Yes I'm sure every pensioner in the country voted without a single thought for their family.

Stuff like this is what sours peoples opinions of nationalists.

You'd do well to consider that most of those selfish old buggers have lived at least twice as long as you and will be better placed to spot a political shyster when they see one.

Absolutely perfect response to an irrational and "passionate" nationalist who hasn't even given that car crash statement any thought

You'd think so wouldn't you?

Or.... they could have set their stubborn old minds on "my pension, my pension" and not listened to a single further word.

Utter nonsense. Is it so hard to believe that these older people just didn't agree with the Yes arguments and think by voting No, they ARE putting the children and grandchildren first? Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they're selfish.

The Yes argument simply wasn't strong enough to convince them. If you wanted to convince them you should have come up with a stronger argument.

In the same way some managers shouldn't be asked for their opinion straight at the end of the match, I'm not sure now is the time to be writing off increased political involvement. Over time the pain will subside, some will drift away but I still believe that an increase in politics will remain overall.

In the same way some managers shouldn't be asked for their opinion straight at the end of the match, I'm not sure now is the time to be writing off increased political involvement. Over time the pain will subside, some will drift away but I still believe that an increase in politics will remain overall.

I suppose you could be right. I did write the OP from my current position of utter dejection that has also seen me start to seriously look in to leaving Scotland (and the UK in general).

Archived