Lyle Lanley

I thought Hibs were very good tonight. I was impressed when we played them preseason and my opinion hasnt changed. They like to get the ball down and play but their defence is honking. I reckon they are better than at least half the SPL teams we have played this year. Hopefully they can go on a run and get promotion as id like to see them back in the big league

Ps Scott Allan was MOTM by a country mile. He did everything that Armstrong should be doing for us

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Hibs were very good tonight. I was impressed when we played them preseason and my opinion hasnt changed. They like to get the ball down and play but their defence is honking. I reckon they are better than at least half the SPL teams we have played this year. Hopefully they can go on a run and get promotion as id like to see them back in the big league

Ps Scott Allan was MOTM by a country mile. He did everything that Armstrong should be doing for us

:thumsup2

Tough game, when Rankin blootered it over I thought that was it. Agree about Scott Allan, very impressive.

Referee was crap, so was main stand linesman.

Driving/parking in Edinburgh is horrendous.

Too tired to post anything more.....

Some horrific defending from both teams, but made for an exciting game. Agree with those saying Scott Allan played well for Hibs.

Ciftci's decision making is getting worse by the game, we had umpteen chances at 3-2 to finish it on the break, but he picked the wrong option every time.

Blair Spittal is not a right back, although impressed with his dead ball delivery, good corner for Dow's header.

Off to bed. Shattered.

Ciftci wasn't the only one. Armstrong was meh again but there was two opportunities to play him in down the left before they levelled the game. Awful decisions.

Townsend impressed. Was pretty much a one man job at times defending.

Went along tonight sat in the united end with a united mate. Cracking match, end to end stuff. Hibs impressed me. And that's saying something considering how shocking they were last year. Ciftci was awful for United, but they always looked like they were going to win despite him rather than because of him. Every bit of play involving him broke down.

Well done both sides for a great game.

That was some game. It's tough to take for the Hibees but the difference between them tonight and the shambles they were under Butcher is remarkable. On the whole this performance was mostly a big improvement on the Partick and Killie games and presumably the ICT game too judging by the highlights. I felt we were the stronger in the first half but Hibs looked more dangerous in the second half to the point that it looked like if anyone was going to win in normal time it was going to be them. The effort of that second half seemed to take a lot out of them as we were fairly comfortable in extra-time despite not threatening their goal very often.

Erskine, Connolly and Dow worked very well together and we looked more threatening when we attacked tonight compared to most of this season. Ciftci played well when he was supported by those three but switching Connolly for Armstrong didn't work ultimately and Nadir and Stretch looked like they had never played with one another before at times.

Erskine particularly impressed me for most of tonight but I thought he began to tire mid-way through the second half and Hibs really began to exploit that by attacking predominantly down our right hand side. Spittal did his best but McNamara did him no favours by sticking him at right back despite the fact that he seemed to decide back in pre-season that making him into an attacking full back wasn't the way to go. Souttar made some mistakes tonight but his technical ability on the ball and talent for picking a pass offers so much for us. He made a couple of good blocks tonight too, one of the line and great diving header to stop the ball from coming into Malonga in extra-time.

I understand why McNamara took Paton off but Smith struggled to get into the game tonight and unfortunately I think that weakness in our midfield was major contributary factor in Hibs controlling periods of the second half.

I was devastated when Rankin blasted his penalty over the bar but thankfully Rado came to the rescue again. It won't be mentioned much now because of the penalty saves but his save from Craig's free kick in the first half was fantastic and looked like one of the best saves he's made. Tbh since the Celtic game I can't really remember him doing much wrong and it was good he got to be the hero for us again tonight.

I also thought the referee and linesman closest to the south stand were stinking tonight. I felt we should have had a penalty in the first half when Dow was cleaned out but Beaton bottled it and he massively overreacted when he booked Ciftci after he slipped up.

Overall delighted not to have fallen at the quarter-finals yet again although I really hope whatever caused GMS to go off won't see him out for a long time.

Chic Youngs commentary is worse than Championship Manager 00/01

"It's a chance for Utd......goal for Hibs at the other end"

:lol:

Pleasing game. Still worrying to hear of our main men shitting it.

Bring on the Sheep.

What a game. Good to see two teams just going for it. Don't think anyone deserved to lose. Thought rankin had fucked it up when he missed but rado pulled it out the bag.

United passed the ball around well but some hair raising moments. As much as people will slag soutar off, he actually made some pretty vital tackles, although we did look pretty dodgy at crosses. Ciftci was pish, although his booking for slipping was ridiculous.

Hibs looked good going forward. Scott allan is a player. Would take him back at united.

All in all, an enjoyable game

You had the chance to win it and bottled it: papped out instead two penalties later. :lol:

The thing is, if you were asked to put a percentage figure on how likely Hibs are to get promoted this year before the game, and then asked again afterwards, it wouldn't have went down because Kennedy and Gray missed penalties would it? I believe Hibs are improving, not at a dramatic pace but they're a better side than they were two months ago and far better than five months ago. Yesterday backs that up that point, not detracts from it.

If our playoffs involve the other side in 3rd/4th, Sevco and then the 11th place Prem team, then performances that get a 3-3 draw with United may well be good enough for all of them (if it goes to pens I'm sure six scored in a row will suffice too). So aye, I'm encouraged by last night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/29828473

BBC didn't show our 2nd goal :lol:

Aye the video is showing your (third?) goal twice, instead of showing the correct one.

Don't want to slag off the highlights considering it is someone on this board who does them, but they weren't great this time.

The length is great: a good 14 minutes for such an exciting game is definitely appropriate, but the pacing and content (not even including the fact they showed the same goal twice - pretty sure that would be corrected immediately if it was one of the Old Firm playing!) is well off.

Whilst the majority of the video was always going to be the exciting first half, it really gives short shrift to the second half, showed nothing of the extra time period (even just showing the conclusion to that period to effectively build up the anticipation for the penalties, etc) and finally - the video wasted time showing over and over again the same penalties when it got to the penalties stage.

Must try harder.

Archived