2015 Holiday/Travel Plans

Andy Dufresne

I've been to the Sensatori in Egypt a couple of times and it's superb. Some family are regulars at the Mexico one and rave about it also. The future missus is keen to give the Mexico one a go so is on the list of options.

Anyone ever stayed in one of the Hard a Rock hotels? The one in Punta Cana looks excellent. Dom Rep is where we spent our first holiday together 5 years ago and enjoyed it (was the north side).

I'd imagine they're all great. The whole concept is superb. I especially like all the gourmet restaurants. The one in Mexico was 24 hour all inclusive including room service. One of restaurants in Mexico one has a Michelin star.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many places here sound absolutely fantastic. Puts my places to shame.

Manchester in March

Tenerife in May

Ibiza in June

Managing to do these without touching the money I am saving to move out but debating whether to dip into my savings for a 5 day trip to NY or Toronto in October

I'm sure there's a thread here somewhere...

Has anyone been to Miami?

Thinking about 2 nights as a 'mini break' while in Orlando in October. Flights £40 each and can get a 4* hotel on South Beach for £100 a night.

Always fancied it. Just wondering if anyone has been/has any recommendations.

Florida in just over 8 weeks time.

Getting more and more anxious about it as it draws closer. Hate flying.

You'll be fine, seats are comfy as f**k and I loved having a telly right in front of my seat.

Be interested to hear your thoughts out your return. I'm getting married next year and Jamaica is top our our honeymoon list. Been looking at the Sensatori hotel.

I was at the sensatori Jamaica last September for a fortnight and it was superb. Staff are brilliant and the food is stunning. Hugely relaxing and never seemed as if it was full.

I was at the sensatori Jamaica last September for a fortnight and it was superb. Staff are brilliant and the food is stunning. Hugely relaxing and never seemed as if it was full.

Superb. I really fancy Jamaica and have done for years. When they opened the Sensatori a couple of years ago it then caught my attention again.

We get married on the last weekend of July next year so will be the first fortnight in August, which I am hopeful will just miss the wet season.

We get married on the last weekend of July next year so will be the first fortnight in August, which I am hopeful will just miss the wet season.

ya hoor ye, we didnae miss it. f**k it, when it pissed doon we went and got ratarsed at the bar, win win

Yeah most likely. I usually get valium from the doctors for flying but usually need to combine them with a load of booze to actually sleep. If I could just sleep on planes it would be half the battle.

flyings half the fun ya fanny ha ha

I know all the stats suggest it's the safest way to travel etc but I just wish my brain could work this way. All my brain does is think 'tons and tons of metal isn't meant to be in the sky' or 'If something happens we're fucked'. Hate it I really do :(

go to Blackpool then, why pit yasell through the trauma ffs

Be interested to hear your thoughts out your return. I'm getting married next year and Jamaica is top our our honeymoon list. Been looking at the Sensatori hotel.

We're staying at the Lady Hamilton hotel which is the hotel she went to before and she says its a massive complex with 8/9 restaurants, 13 bars loads of pools aswell as 4 private beaches. She would recommend Dunnes river and Ricks cafe for sure.

I'm sure there's a thread here somewhere...

Has anyone been to Miami?

Thinking about 2 nights as a 'mini break' while in Orlando in October. Flights £40 each and can get a 4* hotel on South Beach for £100 a night.

Always fancied it. Just wondering if anyone has been/has any recommendations.

I live in South Beach mate. PM me for owt. Those flights are decent - it's a 4 hr drive, so hoof that for the sake of 2 days. Do you know which hotel?

Because its a family holiday for my daughter as she's at that age where it'll all be amazing for her so want her to have a great holiday before she starts school in August. Hardly going to deny her the opportunity to go to Disneyland just cos I hate flying.

Unless he's a fiendish Malaysian or suicidal Egyptian Keep in mind that the crew flying the thing want to get there just as much as you.

Some mates are out interrailing in June and I was planning on maybe going out to meet them. The only time I can fly out is when they're in Vienna but the flights from Scotland are all quite expensive and have long stopovers. Not sure what to do just now.

Some mates are out interrailing in June and I was planning on maybe going out to meet them. The only time I can fly out is when they're in Vienna but the flights from Scotland are all quite expensive and have long stopovers. Not sure what to do just now.

Yup pretty much cannot fly direct from Scotland to Austria, it really has been a pain in my arse since I moved over here. Vienna wouldn't be convenient for my anyway, but I always had to travel to Munich for flights. Not exactly handy for you though.

No flights to be had to Bratislava? Only about an hour or so on the train to Vienna.

I live in South Beach mate. PM me for owt. Those flights are decent - it's a 4 hr drive, so hoof that for the sake of 2 days. Do you know which hotel?

I'll maybe PM you nearer the time mate.

Id been looking at the Grand Beach Surfside - realise that's little further north. Will defiantly be flying down. Flight times are good. Arrive at 10am and leave at 8pm so effectively 3 days.

Any recommendations on hotels in the area, preferably on the beach. Probably max £135 a night (ish).

Any recommendations on bars and places to eat would be very welcome.

Edit to add: you're a good man.

Surfside's a really nice area. The beach will be nice and quiet up there, but it's a big Jewish family area so not much in the way of boozing. In fact, outside of the hotel bars I can only think of Flanigans, which is shite.

I'd have no problem staying there: we were thinking of moving there a couple of months back; but I'm an old git so it depends what you're looking for. You can get down to SoBe from there on the bus; also the county are looking now at legalising Uber, mostly because Uber have ignored the ban and carried on regardless, so I guess Gimenez thinks he may as well get his kickback.

If you head a little South to 71st - 74th area there's a TON of places to eat, with a couple of standouts - primo pasta for nice Italian and Buenos Aires Bakery. Mi Colombia is really cheap and really good, but a bitch to find - just head to 71st between Collins and Indian Creek and look lost, someone will help you. Outside of South Beach it may help if you know a little Spanish. Don't worry if not, most folks are friendly. Don't leave without drinking lots of Cuban coffee, which is the reason Miami doesn't have a meth problem - if you wanna be a shivering, tooth-decayed mess, you don't need to find a dealer, just a cafe or grocery store. The best coffee will be made by ladies aged at least 100.

Good bars - in the city the views from Epic Brickell make up for the price of the drinks, just. Wood, Gramps and Kush in Wynwood are good if hipsterish. On the beach, For people watching just get a table on one of the Lincoln Road pavement cafes - Hofbräuhaus or Rio Station probably the best for actual drinking. The Playwright shows EPL and La Liga. The Abbey, Clandestino and Yardhouse are your best bet for craft brews. Club Deuce and Teds for shitholes. Google image Teds to get an idea of the barmaids. Montys at South Pointe has a pool in the bar; don't eat there tho, their foods fucking terrible. You can get irn bru at the publix at 5th and Alton if you need it for the next morning.

Hotels wise, I'm not sure! The one thing I do know is stay off Ocean Drive - people go to the Art Deco hotels to drink and be seen, not to stay - a lot of them are roachfests. October the tourists haven't quite started to come back - the it's still officially hurricane season till Nov 1 so you might be able to get a deal on somewhere plush further south. The really plush ones on SoBe are Loews, the Ritz Carlton, the James and the Hilton Bentley. Mid-beach the prestige ones are the Thomson and the Fontainebleau. Avoid the Marriott Courtyard on Washington & 14th-ish; its above a club that there's been shootings in recently.

Anyone here been to Rome?

I plan on visiting the vatican but I dont have any shorts that go down past my knees and have been told this might be a problem? Now they're not budgy smugglers obviously but they sit just above my knee (think yer average River Island fare) surely these should b acceptable? I dont really fancy wearing jeans if im going to be walking about all day. The missus will be wearing a top that covers her shoulders that day so thats that covered I just dont fancy buying a pair of shorts just to visit one place.

Also in lamens terms how are meals typically ordered as I see in most places that there are a few different courses so what is the etiquette over there? I couldnt see a standard run down of a meal on the likes of TripAdvisor etc etc.

And if anyone could give me any suggestions of things to do at night after our meal etc.

Going with the girlfriend and her family on a motorhome trip starting in Bilbao and going all the way through Spain towards Portugal in June. Looking forward to going to Bilbao as I really think I'll love the place; it's the only major city I've not been to in Spain. Unsure on how I'll cope with the temperatures inside a motorhome in that sort of climate though.

Archived