2015 Holiday/Travel Plans

Andy Dufresne

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where did you stay? I've a feeling this is on my horizon fairly soon unfortunately.

A very closely situated Sequoia Lodge Hotel. Nice hotel, the 1664 a cracking drop, but the queues, FFS they start for breakfast and end for your evening meal. 2hour wait for the ratatouille ride and the rest all around 45-70 mins. If you have the patience of a saint you might get through the week lol

Going to Berlin for 5 nights at the start of July. Second time there but first time was with the school so looking forward to being able to do our own thing!

Pricey but excellent. Also, my great grandmother was from Dunvegan so when we went it was a bit of nostalgia.

Michael Smith is leaving the 3 chimneys at the May and the new chef is the Masterchef Professionals runner up Scott from St Andrews. Stayed at the House over by and ate there. As Kincardine says pricy but good.

Pricey but excellent. Also, my great grandmother was from Dunvegan so when we went it was a bit of nostalgia.

Michael Smith is leaving the 3 chimneys at the May and the new chef is the Masterchef Professionals runner up Scott from St Andrews. Stayed at the House over by and ate there. As Kincardine says pricy but good.

Yeah I heard that. Should be really good then!

Booked flights to Portugal, starting in Lisbon and leaving from Faro. Nothing booked for the 10 days in between yet. Looking at 2 or 3 days in Lisbon, getting a train to Lagos for a few days, then the last few days spent somewhere closer to Faro but not Albufeira. Really need to get my finger out my arse and get it booked.

Got flights booked to go to Split in Croatia for a week in July. Might take the bus to Mostar in Bosnia for a day or two while I'm there.

Was in Split for a week or so last August. Fantastic city. If you don't go to Mostar then I would recommend spending a few days on one of the islands. We stayed on Brac for a few days, a 2 minute walk from Zlatny Rat beach.

The f*nny in Croatia was unbelievable.

Booked flights to Portugal, starting in Lisbon and leaving from Faro. Nothing booked for the 10 days in between yet. Looking at 2 or 3 days in Lisbon, getting a train to Lagos for a few days, then the last few days spent somewhere closer to Faro but not Albufeira. Really need to get my finger out my arse and get it booked.

Use the train to travel from Lisbon down to faro stopping off every so often.

Just back from Argentina last week. Was fantastic. Would definitely go back (with better Spanish next time).

Planning another cheap weekend to Dusseldorf / Dortmund to coincide with the start of the season in August. My brother's moving to Canada as well so I'll go and see him in October.

Use the train to travel from Lisbon down to faro stopping off every so often.

Booked the hotels last night. In Lisbon from Wednesday to Saturday, getting the train to Lagos(6 hours, but has to be done, f*ck it) and staying there Saturday until Wednesday, then staying in Faro itself on the Wednesday and Thursday night, flying back on the Friday.

Booked the hotels last night. In Lisbon from Wednesday to Saturday, getting the train to Lagos(6 hours, but has to be done, f*ck it) and staying there Saturday until Wednesday, then staying in Faro itself on the Wednesday and Thursday night, flying back on the Friday.

Nice one, I done Lisbon to Faro by bus. It was a b*****d.

Finally got round to booking Albufeira for the Scotland Gibraltar game in October.

I've now got to look forward to;

Ibiza opening parties end of May/June for 5 nights

Thailand for 3 weeks end of June/July

Albufeira for 5 nights in October

Also looking to get a Dortmund game in, and go to Canada for new year. If I can fit these two in, it'll have been a reasonably good year.

Going to Sorrento in July and then up to Rome for a few days. We're been to Rome before but not Sorrento, anyone got recommendations for Pompeii tour and boat trips?

Going to Sorrento in July and then up to Rome for a few days. We're been to Rome before but not Sorrento, anyone got recommendations for Pompeii tour and boat trips?

Go to Pompeii yourself, you get the local train (called the Circumvesuviana IIRC?) from Sorrento to Pompeii Scavi station which is right at the entrance. It's huge, and if you want to see all the main parts it will take you most of the day, you can get an audio tour and work your own way round. There is next to no shade so make sure you wear a hat and take plenty to drink.

The Amalfi coast is a must see imo, the missus and I did a tour on a minibus that took in Positano, Ravello and Amalfi. If you do a tour on a big bus then you spend a lot of time sitting waiting on the road as they will only let a limited number of large vehicles on the coast road at any time. There is also a service bus from Sorrento to Positano and Amalfi.

We never made it to Capri but everybody I know who has said it was a good day trip by boat.

What hotel are you staying in?

Go to Pompeii yourself, you get the local train (called the Circumvesuviana IIRC?) from Sorrento to Pompeii Scavi station which is right at the entrance. It's huge, and if you want to see all the main parts it will take you most of the day, you can get an audio tour and work your own way round. There is next to no shade so make sure you wear a hat and take plenty to drink.

The Amalfi coast is a must see imo, the missus and I did a tour on a minibus that took in Positano, Ravello and Amalfi. If you do a tour on a big bus then you spend a lot of time sitting waiting on the road as they will only let a limited number of large vehicles on the coast road at any time. There is also a service bus from Sorrento to Positano and Amalfi.

We never made it to Capri but everybody I know who has said it was a good day trip by boat.

What hotel are you staying in?

Grand Vesuvio, it's just under a mile from the centre, they run a shuttle bus but we'll likely just walk, If the picture are to be believed it's has views across the bay of Naples from the rooms and pool.

The local train service looks pretty good so we were planning to use it to get around rather than pay for bus tours and than be stuck with their timetable. A guy at work also mentioned a place called Herculeun which is apparently better preserved than Pompeii, so will need to find a bit of a balance between looking at ruins and lying at the pool.

Did you go into Naples, from what I've read so far it's not the nicest city?

Grand Vesuvio, it's just under a mile from the centre, they run a shuttle bus but we'll likely just walk, If the picture are to be believed it's has views across the bay of Naples from the rooms and pool.

The local train service looks pretty good so we were planning to use it to get around rather than pay for bus tours and than be stuck with their timetable. A guy at work also mentioned a place called Herculeun which is apparently better preserved than Pompeii, so will need to find a bit of a balance between looking at ruins and lying at the pool.

Did you go into Naples, from what I've read so far it's not the nicest city?

Grand Vesuvio looks terrific, we stayed in the Grand Hotel Aminta which is further up the hill.

Herculaneum is better preserved but smaller than Pompeii, so it's just down to personal choice.

Didn't go to Naples, but it's rough as fook by all accounts.

Archived