2015 Holiday/Travel Plans

Andy Dufresne

If you can be arsed (probably 3 hr flight from Bangalore) get up to to Amritsar to the Golden Temple, but more interestingly go the extra 40 mins or so up to the Pakistan border and see the Wagah border ceremony.

Fucking mentalists.

Would love to do that but it is one of the areas that is off limits and my company wont allow me too close to the Pakistan border. Shame!

You got any recommendations over that neck of the woods?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mexico now looking like the favourite for summer holiday. Jamaica also an option.

If you like leaving your resort at night I would avoid Jamaica. It's rough as and you're locked in at night.

A week in Scotland in February.

Nothing else planned at the moment as we need to wait and find out what time off my missus will be able to get, but hopefully get 10-14 days somewhere in August. Quite fancy Scandinavia but will leave it to nearer the time.

If you like leaving your resort at night I would avoid Jamaica. It's rough as and you're locked in at night.

I think everyone knows if you like leaving a resort at night, Jamaica is not for you, also the Dominican and the Maldives would be a mistake.

Did Prague, Budapest and Split all in the summer there but haven't been to the others so can't comment on them.

Prague is brilliant IMO and well worth a 3 or 4 night stay, great place just to walk around and there's plenty to do around the city, could probably spend a day on its own touring the different breweries (if you make it past the first one!). Bars are obviously dirt cheap and the women are incredible, if that's the sort of thing you might be after.

Would put Budapest in the same category as Prague, both were the favourites of our summer travels in Europe, and follows the same theme of architecture and things to do. Quite a few museums around Budapest about the war and stuff which would take up a day or so along with a trip to the castle and fortress etc, then an unbelievable amount of bars around the city. Spending a few nights there means you could try a different ruin pub every night, easily the highlight of the city and the Szimpla bar is a must in the city.

Wasn't a massive fan of split, polar opposite of Prague and Budapest with it's more concrete communist feel barring the old Palace walls which you could do in a few hours. Might be handy if you were wanting a couple of days by the sea as well, but if you headed to Split I'd be inclined to use it as more of a 'base' and instead spent your time on the different Islands off the coast or up to the Krka Waterfalls a couple of hours inland, not really a city break then I suppose.

I'd recommend Dubrovnik instead of Split if that's the sort of area you fancied, a bit more expensive once you're there but well worth a visit at some point. The old town itself can take up a couple days and there's quite a bit of stuff on the Croatian Wars that are really interesting. Much preferred it to Split and you'd still have the option of a couple of Island day trips.

Wherever you go I'd recommend staying in a hostel, especially if you're by yourself, gives you the freedom to still do your own thing but they'll probably organise group walks/pub crawls and stuff, especially in Prague and Budapest.

As I said I only spent a few nights in each place and others will have better knowledge about these places but give me a shout if you want to know more!

Great post mate, cheers. I'll probably give you a PM once I've decided to book up.

Great post mate, cheers. I'll probably give you a PM once I've decided to book up.

Just back from Budapest, brilliant place, really friendly and cheap as fk. Worth getting a 72 hour travel pass for a tenner, saves the hassle of figuring out how to buy tickets etc.

Just back from Budapest, brilliant place, really friendly and cheap as fk. Worth getting a 72 hour travel pass for a tenner, saves the hassle of figuring out how to buy tickets etc.

Superb mate. I booked myself a flight from Manchester earlier - £25 one way. Not to be sniffed at. That's good to know re. the travel pass. I'll just do that then.

Budapest is decent, if you're there for a while over the summer and the weather is nice, then it's definitely worth going down to Lake Balaton for a couple of days as well, lots of lakeside resort towns, bars, local cheap wine, cycling, swimming, 'beaches' etc. A complete contrast with howking around cities for weeks on end, which can get a bit samey.

• 2 weeks later...

Thus far the only certain ones for me are Blackpool in Easter with football and heading to at least another Over the Wall summer camp in July.

Also planning on Dublin and Portugal for the Scotland games as well as maybe having a trip away with the SYFA squad in July (looks like Hungary if things work out)

Looking like Florida again in October for a fortnight, maybe with a few nights in New York on the way down. I'll need something before then though - not a chance i'll get through 10 months without going anywhere. Probably look at a long weekend in Europe in July. Depending on prices of a city might just have a week somewhere. If you're getting near £400pp I'd probably rather have a week away.

Have to take school holidays if I want to go away with the other half which is a bit of a shame - don't think going without her to save money would go down well

Sitting in Hambug for a week in dry dock just now, then start the year with a week in the Canaries before doing the Far East. The ships' itinerary takes in Japan, Philippines, China, Singapore etc, but I'm only on board until mid-February and I fly home from Kuala Lumpur. Don't get me wrong, still get to visit Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Fujairah, a couple of ports in India and Sri Lanka and also go to Myanmar, which'll be different.

Other than that I'm planning a few trips through Scotland on my weeks ashore before my final exams. After July I'm at the mercy of the company.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived