Partick Thistle vs Motherwell - 04/10/14

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Ainsworth goal is an absolute peach. How the hell did he generate that much power from that short a run up :lol:

I've seen it at the match, I've seen it a few times on the highlights rewinding it - did Fox get a hand to that Ojamaa header? I'm leaning towards no, but if he did that's an unbelievable save.

Pretty sure Fox got a hand to it which pushed it onto the bar. Fox did produce some excellent saves yesterday, I never actually doubt his ability to make fantastic saves, he lacks a few attributes, but if he had them he wouldn't be with us I guess.

Thought before the game on Saturday that if we could score first, we would go onto win relatively comfortably. Admittedly, it wasn't as comfortable as we would have liked (at least for the ten minutes or so following Ainsworth's wonder strike) but I thought it was a fairly convincing result nonetheless.

I suppose the naysayers may point to the quality of the opposition which is a strange thing to say considering they're last season's runners up; that was on par with one of the poorest Motherwell teams I've seen. Ojamaa apart, they were extremely limited and rarely looked like threatening. The big problem they've got for me, apart from consistently losing their better players and running on an increasingly reduced budget, is that the spine of their team is ageing quickly - McManus and Sutton and to a slightly lesser extent, Hammell and Lasley all had their moments of looking pretty cumbersome and like their best days were behind them. The players supplementing them will need to step up very quickly or else they'll struggle all season; the boy Law can't defend and O'Donnell had him on toast all day, O'Brien is nowhere near the class of Hutchinson and Vigurs has yet to find the form from his County days.

But all that said, it would very unfair to take anything away from what was a pretty good performance from us. The reintroduction of O'Donnell was pivotal and gave us the attacking width that we've been missing recently. Personally, I prefer McMillan as our right-back but Saturday was a great example of what O'Donnell brings to the team and if we can slot the former in at left-back then I would be happy with that. I still think O'Donnell's defending leaves a lot to be desired and against better opposition, we might have been punished on a couple of occasions but I suppose that's the opportunity cost we need to pay to benefit from his attacking qualities.

Seaborne was colossal and seemed to really embrace the captaincy, and the aforementioned McMillan really helped to tighten up our left side which had been becoming a bit of problem. A lot of our play seemed to go through Osman who rarely wastes possession and keeps it tidy but not sure on the sustainability of a play-maker role. Lawless continued his recent good form and the pass for Bannigan's goal was a beauty. Doolan was back to something resembling his best after a couple of indifferent performances and it was a great finish with his weaker foot. I thought Christie brought to the team what I'd hoped Stevenson would and he put in a fine display.

Craigen is a funny one with the fans; there doesn't appear to be any middle ground - you either love him and think he's the best thing since sliced bread or detest him and question whether he's a footballer. Personally, I think he sees things that others might not (not dissimilar to what Shaggy used to be like) and when it comes off like it did in the run-up to Doolan's goal, it's great; but when it doesn't, some may find it quite easy to label it as incompetence. I think he too often floats on the periphery of a game without imposing himself but he's got a knack of making pretty significant contributions which is hard to argue with despite his anonymity at times.

Nice to go into the international break on the back of a win but I'm not particularly confident that our inconsistency won't continue in our next game. Before the game yesterday, Gary Neville was talking about Arsenal's fragility and incapability of going away from home, being hard to break down and then nicking a 1-0 - all things that strike a chord with us, unfortunately. Similarly, I don't think we've got the personnel, much like Arsenal, to facilitate a game-plan like that so it leaves us with the sole option of playing United at their own game which I fear won't end very well.

That Ainsworth goal is an absolute peach. How the hell did he generate that much power from that short a run up :lol:

I've seen it at the match, I've seen it a few times on the highlights rewinding it - did Fox get a hand to that Ojamaa header? I'm leaning towards no, but if he did that's an unbelievable save.

If you want to get the ball past Scott, shoot from range. It's his weakness, as if he's been trained to not expect long shots. That said, when he's on his game he's a hell of a good keeper.

I actually noticed yesterday how fucking boring most of our sponsors seem to be. Clyde Scaffolding being an honourable exception.

I quite like the Rockus hoarding.

If you want to get the ball past Scott, shoot from range. It's his weakness, as if he's been trained to not expect long shots. That said, when he's on his game he's a hell of a good keeper.

Or hit it at his near post.

What happened to that being over critical after a 3-1 win?

Or is that just when anyone is critical of Craigen that gets said?

Go back to my original post, I talked about SOD & Osman and called myself over critical. I wasn't talking about Craigan.

Anyone else think Eccleston could prove to be an important player for us?

I know he's not had too much game time and his fitness is in question but to me he looks like a really clever player who could play the lone striker role our tactics seem to demand.

Despite what was said in an earlier post his through ball for SOD' s goal was not easy and was perfectly weighted.

I thought the guy was impressive during his short time on the park

Anyone else think Eccleston could prove to be an important player for us?

I know he's not had too much game time and his fitness is in question but to me he looks like a really clever player who could play the lone striker role our tactics seem to demand.

Despite what was said in an earlier post his through ball for SOD' s goal was not easy and was perfectly weighted.

I thought the guy was impressive during his short time on the park

With an assist and a goal so far it could be argued he has been more influential than Ryan Stevenson so far. I feel Nate can only get better as he reaches full match fitness.

I'm surprised he didn't play yesterday in the development league game if he needs fitness.

Maybe it's time. Maybe he'll be UNLEASHED against Dundee United.... before signing for them next summer if he's good.

Archived