Stupid Names For Kids

Romeo

On 30/11/2018 at 23:45, The Nightfly said:

When I was working in China I realised that the locals liked to give themselves Western names so that the expats could remember them and pronounce them easier. I met Stone, Jobs and Yahoo.

When I was at uni halls in Glasgow, I shared with some Chinese chaps who decided to give themselves westernised names. And they needed to look no further than Glasgow rivers. Yes, one called himself Kelvin and the other Clyde. 

12 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

My Son had a basketball game yesterday against a team from Edinburgh - judging by the shouts of encouragement from the Edinburgh parents, there was a Tarquin, a Felix and a Tobias playing.

What do you expect...fucking basketball indeed!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 03/12/2018 at 17:28, Cardinal Richelieu said:

When I was at uni halls in Glasgow, I shared with some Chinese chaps who decided to give themselves westernised names. And they needed to look no further than Glasgow rivers. Yes, one called himself Kelvin and the other Clyde. 

I had a Chinese student down in Wales who called herself “fanny”. Then irn-bru did that advert so no-one will believe me.

On 03/12/2018 at 17:28, Cardinal Richelieu said:

When I was at Uni ('79 - '83) I was friendly with some Chinese students. They had all been advised to choose a 'traditional' UK name to help them to fit in. The list of names that they had been given obviously dated from the 1930's.

Luckily, 'Albert' Fung realised quite quickly that this list was nonsensical, and within the first week or so was introducing himself as 'KC' after his first and middle names.

He wasn't happy about the bad advice he had been given.

• 1 year later...
On 20/01/2019 at 15:44, mathematics said:

I had a Chinese student down in Wales who called herself “fanny”. Then irn-bru did that advert so no-one will believe me.

I've had dealings with a Fanni Kiss before.

Seems that Kiss is a pretty common Hungarian surname, but I'm presuming that this isn't particularly well known where she lives in SE England.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

I've had dealings with a Fanni Kiss before.

Seems that Kiss is a pretty common Hungarian surname, but I'm presuming that this isn't particularly well known where she lives in SE England.

Plenty Fannis down there though.