Tartan Army - Good Guys or Wanks?

Tartan Army  

254 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

From what I've read the Wembley games up until the 1980s were kind of more like the Rangers fans in Manchester experience than how Scotland games are now - ie a mass decampment of drunken neds and all that this entails.  

Can't say I was around for the "good old days" of violence, but nowadays everything seems generally fine.  Most trouble is just pished up people ruining it for themselves rather than anyone else. 

Having said that, the last time we played Wales in Cardiff in the qualifiers was not an enjoyable experience.  I had a friend living in Cardiff at the time, so his Welsh address got him access to home-end tickets, which we fully intended to take advantage of sensibly and without any sort of goading.  We took the lead, and we stifled our celebrations.  Not so around us, as the pockets of Scotland fans made themselves known with exuberant celebrations.  Most didn't care, but one row of particularly odd looking chaps (read: fucking mutants) took offence.  When Wales equalised, they gave it back, then when they took the lead they went to physically attack the lone Scotland fan closest, who invited them for an ill-advised square-go.  Said fan was kettled by 5 or 6 stewards at full-time, still giving it out.

Welsh fans - mutants aside - were pretty good that weekend, whereas several "footsoldiers" acted like complete wankers.  Not representative of course.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Can't say I was around for the "good old days" of violence, but nowadays everything seems generally fine.  Most trouble is just pished up people ruining it for themselves rather than anyone else. 

Having said that, the last time we played Wales in Cardiff in the qualifiers was not an enjoyable experience.  I had a friend living in Cardiff at the time, so his Welsh address got him access to home-end tickets, which we fully intended to take advantage of sensibly and without any sort of goading.  We took the lead, and we stifled our celebrations.  Not so around us, as the pockets of Scotland fans made themselves known with exuberant celebrations.  Most didn't care, but one row of particularly odd looking chaps (read: fucking mutants) took offence.  When Wales equalised, they gave it back, then when they took the lead they went to physically attack the lone Scotland fan closest, who invited them for an ill-advised square-go.  Said fan was kettled by 5 or 6 stewards at full-time, still giving it out.

Welsh fans - mutants aside - were pretty good that weekend, whereas several "footsoldiers" acted like complete wankers.  Not representative of course.

Ha, I wasnt sure what the Scotland-Wales relationship was like.

A (Scottish) friend of mine living in Bristol decided to take his (english) girlfriend to Cardiff for her birthday a few years ago, not realisng Wales were playing Scotland that day.  Not as funny as he told it but he recalls them being at the train station surrounded by p*ssed up Scots and Welsh with him and his girlfriend were dressed up for a night out with the chants of "we hate england more than you" ringing out throughout the station... 

In '77 there were literally thousands hunting for tickets all day in the centre of Liverpool let alone near the ground.

I bribed my way in hours before the kick off so missed all the trouble outside but even before I went in there were some Scots pinching tickets form fellow fans and the like so wouldn't have liked to have been Welsh trying to get in near the start of the game.

'85 was completely different in that regard as there was nothing like the same demand and I even saw some tickets held up for sale outside Ninian Park.

Such a gesture would have been suicide eight years earlier.

4 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Speaking of trouble at Scotland games. I may be wrong here, but I seem to recall Scotland fans were banned from the EC qualifier in Dublin in 1986. Like I said I could be wrong. Can anyone confirm?

You're thinking of the game in Brussels on April 1st (no joke) the following year at a time when all overseas fans were refused tickets for games in Belgium as a consequence of Heysel.

We received an allocation of stand tickets for the Dublin match,

The ban put most off travelling but they did relent and sold tickets to the few hundred who turned up on the night.

4 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Speaking of trouble at Scotland games. I may be wrong here, but I seem to recall Scotland fans were banned from the EC qualifier in Dublin in 1986. Like I said I could be wrong. Can anyone confirm?

Our fans weren't banned but all UK football fans were banned from ferries due to our UK pals from down south rammying all over Europe. I travelled to the game on the Summerston PTFC supporters' bus as part of the Summerston Young Farmers going to a farming exhibition in Dublin. We had to dress in civvies to get on the ferry. Hilarious stuff; great trip.

As for the Anfield game in 1977, there were about 150 Wales fans in the top corner of the Kop surrounded by thousands of Scots with an almost constant rammy going on. 

The worst trouble at Wales games around then was between Swansea and Cardiff fans.  There was seldom trouble between Scots and Welsh.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

15 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Our fans weren't banned but all UK football fans were banned from ferries due to our UK pals from down south rammying all over Europe.

Yes there was trouble on a cross channel ferry between West Hamd and - I think - Man U.

The ferry ban was still in place for the Belgium match in '87 and I remember travelling as a tourist days in advance of the game to avoid detection.

3 hours ago, Anfield 1977 said:

Yes there was trouble on a cross channel ferry between West Hamd and - I think - Man U.

The ferry ban was still in place for the Belgium match in '87 and I remember travelling as a tourist days in advance of the game to avoid detection.

yes, theres youtube news footage of this...one guy getting interviewed and a young Mani from The Stone Roses standing next to him..