Poland vs Scotland

Naismith turned in a few good performances for us last year and he's definitely a first pick for the squad.

But yesterday showed that we can't rely on him as our source of goals long term. He really should have netted yesterday (did he even get a shot on target?) and I fear that it might be more goal-shy performances from him and Steven Fletcher that will cost us dearly in this group.

He's a first pick for the team chief. Without a doubt.

His performances in the last few years have been outstanding, as is his recent form for Everton.

We might struggle in terms of having an out and out goal-scorer but international football is less about this than a league campaign. There are a lot of big, big games for us in this group and we won't be tanking anyone (Gibraltar being the obvious exception). Anya, Maloney, Fletcher, Naismith, Brown, Snodgrass when fit will all chip in with goals. Stevie May could also be very good when he gets his chance.

I'd like to see an improvement in set-piece deliveries after yesterday. That's where we'll get the goals we need. The days of a Kris Boyd or Ally McCoist type striker for Scotland are probably gone for a while.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The back heel one was a great move, shame he didn't finish it. It's really enjoyable watching us at times now.

Agree. Just wish we could find the right player to give us a lethal edge up front. Doesn't need to be a messi or anything - just someone effective like Robbie Keane for ROI

He's a first pick for the team chief. Without a doubt.

His performances in the last few years have been outstanding, as is his recent form for Everton.

We might struggle in terms of having an out and out goal-scorer but international football is less about this than a league campaign. There are a lot of big, big games for us in this group and we won't be tanking anyone (Gibraltar being the obvious exception). Anya, Maloney, Fletcher, Naismith, Brown, Snodgrass when fit will all chip in with goals. Stevie May could also be very good when he gets his chance.

I'd like to see an improvement in set-piece deliveries after yesterday. That's where we'll get the goals we need. The days of a Kris Boyd or Ally McCoist type striker for Scotland are probably gone for a while.

Or Jordan Rhodes who never got picked for the squad

Morrison is the most underated player in the team. He's one of the main reasons behind us now being far more comfortable in possesion and being able to control games. Brown is great but he needs someone with a bit of composure in beside him who is comfortable on the ball, which Morrison is. Dorrans is too but not as good as Morrison.

Never been a huge fan of Maloney but at home against the diddy sides he can be a good option. He shouldn't be playing on Tuesday though.

For me Morrison is a very competent player but just isn't a central midfielder. His best games in a Scotland shirt all came when he was playing out wide and running at players, he did ok against Georgia but against better opposition he gets completely lost in the centre and I've never seen him excel in there.

For me Dorrans is actually a better player than Morrison (arguable obviously) and definitely far more suited to playing in the middle, and indeed for me it is he who is one of the most under-rated players in the squad, if not the most. He's also been back to his good form for West Brom so far this season and started every game.

Don't mind Morrison playing, but don't understand him playing in a position where others are better at playing - I'd even rather see McArthur in central mid. If he was further forward and out wide instead of Maloney I'd have no problem.

Saying all that, it's nice to be able to nitpick a bit like I am because we do have a bit of depth in that area and a few good options.

I actually fancy us to get a draw in Poland as well, which I think we'd have to be pretty happy with.

I'd like to see Rhodes play against Gibraltar - and maybe a friendly or two.

As a few others have said, I trust wee Gordon.

I'd like to see that too. Thing is tho, he'd be on a hiding to nothing. If he failed to score vs Gibraltar everyone would be writing him off (as many seem to be doing currently), or if he bagged a few goals, people would say 'Ach, it was just Gibraltar, he should be dropped for the next game vs a proper team'

Eta Rhodes was in the paper today saying he's desperate to get back in the squad and is working hard to improve his game to catch Strachan's eye. Can't fault him for his attitude.

I'd like to see that too. Thing is tho, he'd be on a hiding to nothing. If he failed to score vs Gibraltar everyone would be writing him off (as many seem to be doing currently), or if he bagged a few goals, people would say 'Ach, it was just Gibraltar, he should be dropped for the next game vs a proper team'

Eta Rhodes was in the paper today saying he's desperate to get back in the squad and is working hard to improve his game to catch Strachan's eye. Can't fault him for his attitude.

What about S Fletcher on the left side of midfield against them were he has played before at Hibernian Wolves and Sunderland?

And we play Naismith on the right of the midfield three,with Rhodes up front and McCormack behind him?

What about S Fletcher on the left side of midfield against them were he has played before at Hibernian Wolves and Sunderland?

And we play Naismith on the right of the midfield three,with Rhodes up front and McCormack behind him?

Christ.

I've seen you post this shite before, it's not going to happen. He played there for Hibs when he was 16/17 then upfront never to play there again for us. I've never seen him play left midfield for Burnley Wolves or Sunderland.

I've seen you post this shite before, it's not going to happen. He played there for Hibs when he was 16/17 then upfront never to play there again for us. I've never seen him play left midfield for Burnley Wolves or Sunderland.

Well I have loads of times big Mick played him there

Archived