Poland vs Scotland

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Polands game yesterday was their Scotland-England. They started the game at pace but, after the first 20 minutes, Germany were picking their way through them and were as wasteful as we were yesterday in front of goal.

Lewandowski is obviously their talisman and his movement could cause us problems. It might be worth us bringing in another more defensive player (McArthur), sacrificing Maloney, so that when they are on the attack we can have somebody follow him about. Otherwise you can just see Hanley getting pulled all over the place when he drops deeper and out wide.

Could try playing a middle 3 of Brown, McArthur and Morrison which would allow us to keep Naismith and Fletcher as although Naimsmiths finishing was poor, I thought they linked up well together.

We have done superbly well performance wise so far but still other results go against us. Only Scotland. That Poland victory yesterday will cost us getting an automatic spot. Think we need to focus on bettering Ireland and of course results against Poland and Germany are crucial but the games against Ireland are absolute paramount now.

Can't see us winning here, a draw would be a brilliant result.

If anyone actually watched the Poland v Germany match they would have seen it was very much in the vein of some of our wins over big teams. A lot of luck, poor finishing from the opponents, an excellent goalkeeping performance and clinically taking the one or two chances that fell their way.

Germany absolutely dominated the match, it wasn't a case of Poland giving Germany the run a round.

The Polish defence was excellent, they threw their bodies in front of everything and their front guys looked pacey breaking forward on occasion although I thought the Germany defence was hopeless and very open to that sort of tactic but Poland didn't really do anything amazing. If they deserved the victory it was through hard work rather than technical ability.

The most impressive thing about Poland was the stadium and crowd. It was a great atmosphere and I think it definitely helped the team on the pitch and a big contrast to the poor crowd and tepid atmosphere of Ibrox for the Georgia match.

I didn't see anything to suggest that we can't get a result there and actually I think the game against Germany will have taken a toil on Poland. As I said Germany dominated possession and Poland worked liked devils for almost the 90 minutes. At the end they were hanging on and they looked absolutely spent. Will be interesting to see how many changes they make for the match.

No. I prefer to blame the SFA for awarding the TV rights to a satellite broadcaster. And because the SFA are always shit. They are consistent in their shitness.

When the SPL sold the TV rights to satellite broadcasters, my interest in the SPL started to wane. Now I couldn't give a monkeys about the top division in Scotland. I prefer the EPL, and Match of the Day is the reason for that. The same is happening with my interest in the Scotland games.

I could sort of understand it if they sold the rights to home games to a satellite broadcaster, but when it's away games too, it makes it very difficult to keep up my armchair support for the national team.

I've not heard the argument that the government should subsidise the BBC's coverage of the Scottish national team, but I'd probably trade that for trident.

The SFA don't sell the TV rights. UEFA control the TV rights centrally and sell them to the highest bidder.

Maybe by the time of the qualifiers for Euro 2024 people will get the fact that the order of fixtures, day of the week the games are played, time of kick off and what TV station the games are shown are nothing to do with the SFA and all to do with the central contract.

Saturday or Sunday games are either at 5pm or 7.45pm and all other days at 7.45pm.

Just think Champions league but for national teams.

I don't see why we can't take all three points on Tuesday. The counter attacking role suits our players better than having to break down an awkward opponent with lots of bodies behind the ball like Georgia. I also think that last night will have taken a lot out of Poland physically and mentally. Hopefully they run out of steam quicker than us on Tuesday.

Nothing has been decided in the group so far but the early signs are that results aren't going our way. The Republic's late winner over Georgia and Poland surprising Germany. For Scotland to qualify we need to take care of our own games but also hope other results favour us which so far they haven't. Lose on Tuesday and I think we'll be up against it in the long run for an automatic spot

Marshall

Hutton Martin Hanley Robertson

Mulgrew/fletcher Brown

Bannan Morrison Anya

Naismith

S Fletcher can come on if we're chasing the game. But tbh not worth changing a winning formula. Only dropping maloney because he looked knackered at the end of the georgia game.

A draw would be great and we are more than capable of getting a result. Poland defended brilliantly against Germany and they managed to take the couple of chances they did have. We need to be able to keep Lewandowski quiet and stop Poland from breaking quickly, something they did so effectively against Germany. However we will be sitting off a little so that will hopefully stop that from happening. I would be happy with the same eleven, I thought that Naismith and Fletcher were poor yesterday but they were almost there with most things they tried and they should start again. I would be tempted with possibly Bannan in for Maloney though. As long as James McArthur is nowhere near the team on Tuesday, he was awful when he came on against Germany and was awful when he came on yesterday.

If Hutton plays like he did against Georgia but improves his crossing, and Robertson takes more time with his crosses, then we should have enough service to score more than one, but hat is unlikely given our finishing on Saturday. I'm confident about this but I was confident of a 2/3-0 yesterday so I dunno

Would be delighted with a point.

Marshall

Hutton

Martin

Hanley

Robertson

Fletcher

Brown

Maloney

Morrison

Anya

Naismith

I think that is the team I'd pick and have S.Fletcher play a role as the game progresses as he did against Germany.

No need to change a winning formula too much I think. In my opinion you want to have 3 in midfield and have D.fletcher play defensively slotting in the channels to protect the center halfs as Lewandowski will be very dangerous. Crowd the midfield and hit them on the break with Anya and Maloney supporting Naismith.

Full backs will find it tougher to break forward Tuesday nights but a 4-5-1 defensively with a counter attack 4-3-3 would fit the personnel we have.

Marshall

Hutton Martin Hanley Robertson

Mulgrew/fletcher Brown

Bannan Morrison Anya

Naismith

S Fletcher can come on if we're chasing the game. But tbh not worth changing a winning formula. Only dropping maloney because he looked knackered at the end of the georgia game.

The fact someone thinks there's an even choice between Darren Fletcher and Charlie Mulgrew makes me want to weep!

A draw would be great and we are more than capable of getting a result. Poland defended brilliantly against Germany and they managed to take the couple of chances they did have. We need to be able to keep Lewandowski quiet and stop Poland from breaking quickly, something they did so effectively against Germany. However we will be sitting off a little so that will hopefully stop that from happening. I would be happy with the same eleven, I thought that Naismith and Fletcher were poor yesterday but they were almost there with most things they tried and they should start again. I would be tempted with possibly Bannan in for Maloney though. As long as James McArthur is nowhere near the team on Tuesday, he was awful when he came on against Germany and was awful when he came on yesterday.

They linked up brilliantly. The simple fact was Naismith's finishing was off. On another day he could easily have had a hat-trick.

Archived