Scotland v Republic of Ireland

Lyle Lanley

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ned Jnr is half Italian and likes to see Italy doing well (we're watching the Croatia game right now FWIW, or were cause it's been stopped for crowd trouble) but does he support Italy over Scotland ? does he f'ck ! And does he claim to be Italian rather than Scottish ? course he fucking doesn't !!

I'm half English and spent a third of my life down there - will I be supporting England on Tuesday night - course I fucking won't ... I was born and bred in Scotland FFS !!

Half this board could probably claim "Irish Heritage" (I could) but let's face it the only ones pretending to be Irish are the ones that were dragged up by an Old Firm supporting parent.

If it's any consolation to the Plastics reading this I'd state that the knuckle-draggers that support Northern Ireland or England ahead of Scotland rate higher in the moron stakes !!

Let me give you a scenario and tell me honestly what you'd do.

Imagine your boy goes on to marry a Scottish girl, and they have a boy. He's all Scottish looking and has a name like Kevin or something. However, when this daughter of yours was pregnant she moved to China.

Now imagine you meet your grandson and the wee pasty Kevin is wearing a Scotland top. Are you going to take your son to the side and say "you get that boy changed, Kevin is Chinese and that's that"? Or is it just with similar looking nationalities that you self righteously like telling people what nationality they are?

I think it's fair to assume that anyone who uses:

• an 'x' before and after their name online
  • the phantom 'h' to words in order to make it more 'Irish' (see: 'Bhoy' etc)
  • squiggly lines in posts to make them more pretty

is most likely either a 15 year old girl, or a man in his 50's pretending to be a 15 year old girl. Either way, still trying to pretend that MSN Messenger didn't die and emailing the owners of Bebo to demand that their Bebo 'love' of 589 be recognised in some way as "it wiz mare than that fat slag Sonia who pumped ma Tony hud".

Either way, not really the behaviour of a parent.

a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_antandd

http://www.ybig.ie/forum/scottish-fans_topic50457_page1.html

This must be it, from boys in green forum. Seems some Irish fans had positive experiences but some had negative. Irish fans being called "dirty ta1g" and "fen1an b*****d" was pretty disgusting to be fair (especially seeing that a "fen1an b*****d" scored the winning goal).

1320 Lichtie laying into the Irish fans on the site!

Went on there last year, had a nosey after the draw to see what they were saying and noticed the travel forum where they were all clueless so went on to try help answer a few of their questions.

Since then I've popped on every so often and in the week before the game and the way they were just absolutely dismissing us and calling our team and players shite made Fridays result even better!!!! :

The Irish thought they would get 4 points off us minimum.

Get it right up them! ;)

post-14721-14161804805078_thumb.jpg

Let me give you a scenario and tell me honestly what you'd do. Imagine your boy goes on to marry a Scottish girl, and they have a boy. He's all Scottish looking and has a name like Kevin or something. However, when this daughter of yours was pregnant she moved to China. Now imagine you meet your grandson and the wee pasty Kevin is wearing a Scotland top. Are you going to take your son to the side and say "you get that boy changed, Kevin is Chinese and that's that"? Or is it just with similar looking nationalities that you self righteously like telling people what nationality they are?

Fell asleep after Kevin...zzz

I've never called anyone a fen1an b*****d.You seem to know Shauns political affiliation how would you know this?

I don't have the slightest idea what Shaun Maloney's political proclivities are. I do know he has an Irish kaffliky name which alone is enough to make him a "fen1an b*****d" in the eyes of a certain section of Scottish society.

The Fianna are as much part of Scottish mythology as they are Irish. The links between Scotland and Ireland go back centuries with an almost constant stream of people back and forth. It's ridiculous that to some people the age old relationship between the two places is seen almost entirely through the context of a century long rivalry between two football clubs based in Glasgow. Unfortunately it seems that plenty of people in our OF obsessed sports media suffered from that. Ludicrous to see them asking Strachan was he worried about playing at Celtic Park.

Anyway, far more important that all that shite was the win. I'm still watching that goal over and over again. With the Waspies then getting a draw at Ibrox on Saturday this was a quite magnificent sporting weekend. Bring on England :)

Ive already said Ireland were shite but if your describing things as utter thuggery then what was Grant Hanley's performance?? MON got the team wrong and we didnae have enough creativity. Scotland were good but you hardly gubbed us no matter how shite we were & if we'd got the draw in stoppage time no one wouldve said it wasnae a fair result. Know Im repeating myself here but if Hanley gets sent off like he should, straight red or 2 yellows take your pick, then its a different game & a different looking group.

You're the only person, except Davie Provan, who thinks this.

Not a chance the first one was a red, nor was the challenge on the goalkeeper - though the keeper did do his utmost to feign injury to try to get him sent off. His challenge on the keeper wasn't as bad as the one where Marshall was taken out by an Irish player - the same one I think who took a clear dive to get a freekick and Robertson booked.

Long also tried to get Hanley to react when he raked his boot down Hanley's Achilles.

I'm just not buying this 'two teams out to make the game physical' line I've seen trotted out.

Scotland played all the football, Ireland tried to kick us off the park.

Let me give you a scenario and tell me honestly what you'd do.

Imagine your boy goes on to marry a Scottish girl, and they have a boy. He's all Scottish looking and has a name like Kevin or something. However, when this daughter of yours was pregnant she moved to China.

Now imagine you meet your grandson and the wee pasty Kevin is wearing a Scotland top. Are you going to take your son to the side and say "you get that boy changed, Kevin is Chinese and that's that"? Or is it just with similar looking nationalities that you self righteously like telling people what nationality they are?

You've muddled your post up a bit but I think you're asking what I'd do if Ned Jnr married a Scot and then they had a son who was born in China, was raised in China and then the wee lad has a Scotland top ?

Why would I have a problem with that ? Ned Jnr has an Italian top !

A better question would be if Kevin, despite being born and raised in China all his life (?) suddenly decided that he was actually Scottish .... what would I do then !? Well I'd like to think he had some sort of affinity with Scotland but he'd still be Chinese !

Not sure what your "similar looking nationalities" pish is all about !!

The links between Scotland and Ireland go back centuries with an almost constant stream of people back and forth. It's ridiculous that to some people the age old relationship between the two places is seen almost entirely through the context of a century long rivalry between two football clubs based in Glasgow.

The "links" likely go back to the beginning of humans settling this part of the world when the glaciers retreated. However what we experiance has a name.

The narcissism of small differences (der Narzißmus der kleinen Differenzen) is a term that describes 'the phenomenon that it is precisely communities with adjoining territories, and related to each other in other ways as well, who are engaged in constant feuds and ridiculing each other' – 'such sensitiveness [...] to just these details of differentiation'

Narcissism of small differences

Its what humans do. That explains why local derbies are far more important than other matches.

Ned Nederlander, on 16 Nov 2014 - 23:54, said:

You'veA better question would be if Kevin, despite being born and raised in China all his life (?) suddenly decided that he was actually Scottish .... what would I do then !?

"Not give a f**k" is the only acceptable answer to that question.

At last the post getting back to the football ! Scotland deserved to win hands down, they played the better football and created better chances whilst stopping the Irish players creating anything of note. The game whilst not the most skillfull had the passion and importance that meant the pub went into meltdown when we scored something i have not witnessed since France away. We also deserved this result as Scotland are the unluckiest team ever and Ireland the luckiest!

The "links" likely go back to the beginning of humans settling this part of the world when the glaciers retreated. However what we experiance has a name.

Narcissism of small differences

Its what humans do. That explains why local derbies are far more important than other matches.

Indeed and I have no problem with that. It was going on for a long time before we ever had a Celtic and Rangers however and seeing the relationship between the two places reduced to that is very simplistic.

I'm just not buying this 'two teams out to make the game physical' line I've seen trotted out.

Scotland played all the football, Ireland tried to kick us off the park.

I only saw the 2nd half but I thought Scotland played some good technical football. Naismith and Maloney were very skillful at keeping the ball. Whittaker and Robertson were excellent in support going forward and Brown and Mulgrew were in charge of the midfield. Ireland played plenty of long ball stuff and were sluggish and uncreative after the knockdowns from Walters and Long. One criticism of Scotland is that we didn't have bodies in the box when crosses were played in and when Ireland were deep there wasn't much craft in breaking them down but all in all we made them look very average which is what they are.

Indeed and I have no problem with that. It was going on for a long time before we ever had a Celtic and Rangers however and seeing the relationship between the two places reduced to that is very simplistic.

Basically agree with what you are posting, but one of the goals of the Plantation of Ulster in geostrategic terms was to drive a permanent wedge between the Gaels of Ireland and Hebridean and Highland Scotland, which is why what was once one language and culture is now four centuries later regarded as two and the older relationship that you have in mind is lost in the mists of time for most people.

The links go back and forth Waspie, but the vitriol seems to be almost entirely one-way.

You must have blinkers on if you can't see it is two-way.