The Cost Of Football Survey

I don't think quality comes that high on the list for many fans. Look at the lower leagues in England where the quality isn"t great but they still pull in great crowds. Then look at those fans who have the choice of standing and can have a beer. They clearly have a better matchday experience.

So you don't agree that in the 80s and 90s and up until the TV money in England, Spain and alike took off we had better quality in players? You don't thinks there is a correlation on that and the apathy on paying more with a sh*tter league and player standard?

I'm a Jags supporter and notice the massive decline in the SPFL and professional lower leagues whilst we pay more for the experience and can tell you there are plenty like me. Most of my football friends who are old firm fans, a Motherwell supporter and an Aberdeen fan all think similarly to me and are very sporadic in attendance as they are fed up paying for a crap product and experience. I am a little more numb to poor football due to Thistle's peaks and troughs over the years.

We don't just pay more, we see worse players more now than ever. It's great our top players head to better leagues like England but it is a well known fact that Scottish football is murder and at the worst level it has ever been. Less people attend and more people are engaging in other things than pay for a sh*t day out at Firhill, Pittodrie or Fir Park. With Celtic owning the league with an awful side it's justifiable to me. You're not as a father going to spend £100 or more for a family day when you can use that money for something else worth the money.

I mean look at the Scotland match prices the SFA brought in. We want more kids, more families and more Scots attending. Not going to happen if SFA are blinded by the £££ signs. We finally are playing well and they do that. Makes little sense other than to fill the coffers.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Attendance is driven by performance and the matches meaning something. All the evidence indicates this... Crowds go up when teams are doing well, or if they're doing badly they go up when crunch relegation matches come along, and for 'derbies'.

Increases in crowds caused by gimmicks, price-cuts, or 'silky play' are minor in comparison.

Archived