Points on your licence?

Tom McB

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon this isn't entirely how it works.

You are suggesting that insurance companies know who has got points and yet keep that information to themselves in the hope that said drivers will have an accident and they'll then find out that their insurance has been invalidated?

Its all a bit tin foil hat this.

No. They're hoping the driver doesn't have any accidents. That way they can take the premium next year too.

They choose not to confirm whether you have points or not until you have a claim. That way they can take money off you every year but not every have to pay up if you ever make a claim.

This is the perfect situation for them, all the return with none of the risk since the problem only ever gets officially discovered if you try to get some money back from them.

They could check when they take your policy, unlike us they don't have to pay for a DVLA check. Choosing not to makes them more money though.

They keep quiet about lots of things if it's in their interest.

E.g if 2 cars are registerd insured at the same address and both are insured as being kept in the single garge at that property every night, they know chances are both polices can be invalidated as neither car spends every night in the garage. However until they properly investigate and confirm things, they can just keep taking your premiums.

I'm always careful driving in England, just because it's unfamiliar territory, and I was just passing over the border near Gretna once when some arse in a BMW zoomed by at ludicrous speed. Later on I was quite smugly happy to see the same arse pulled over at the side of the road explaining himself to traffic cops just outside the Tebay services.

makes people live in fear, a motorist driving 85mph on a 70mph doesn't...

It does when they pass within inches of you in a 20 year old Nissan Micra tbh

People that drive them should not be on the road tbf..

I agree, there should be different speed limit for different cars. Folk in shite like that should be forced under 60

Archived