The European Union

Reynard

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eh, he does, and it's bad

Then he copied it from me - I've used it for ages.

Also, if my post is such a 'holocaust' then it shouldn't be hard for you to provide a counter, right?

I'm not sure there is any way to counter a view, other than with laughter, that believes a UK wide referendum vote requires to have individual regional approval to be binding in those regions.

I'm not sure there is any way to counter a view, other than with laughter, that believes a UK wide referendum vote requires to have individual regional approval to be binding in those regions.

Maybe we could extend this to a general election too. That way Scotland can veto every single government forming that isn't a Labour one. Seems fair.

it's always cringy when you start using other folks patter, it was particularly bad when you tried on Supras' really horrendous 'meight' banter. Please refrain from it, it's the forum equivalent of dad dancing at a wedding. I'm sure there is a counter argument to what I said, and you are free to make it.

It doesn't really matter what this trolling w**k says, it still comes out as trolling wankspeak.

Arguing over who came up with patter like 'meight' is tragic even for this forum

Nobody is arguing over who came up with it.

So, I take it you don't read threads but dive in with irrelevant points and questions that have already been answered, all the time? There's no excuse for ignorance. Please educate yourself in future.

Lucky I never said that then. The point I've made previously, which you agreed with, is that Sturgeon was trolling, that it was a piece of political positioning. The point is not that Scotland can realistically have a 'regional' veto. The point is to position Scotland in a place where should there be a UK No vote where Scotland and England go seperate ways ,that further action can be taken to protect EU memberhsip for Scottish citizens. The popular counter to this is that the UK is the only relevent body involved and that as a unitary state, the further feelings of it's constituent parts are of no relevence. This is clearly the legal case. My point was that as a general rule, the idea of the seperate nations as a family within the UK persist, and therefore Sturgeon has a moral, rather than legal case for assuming that Scotland has a right to decide it's own EU fate post EU referendum, if it disagrees with the other home nations.

Nobody is arguing over who came up with it.

So what's the disagreement then? Who used someone else's tragic patter first?

Quite.

It's just pointless tone trolling. I don't think this poster offers much other than that, to be honest.

Lol

The point is not that Scotland can realistically have a 'regional' veto. The point is to position Scotland in a place where should there be a UK No vote where Scotland and England go seperate ways ,that further action can be taken to protect EU memberhsip for Scottish citizens. .

But there can be no such action.

There's no such thing as a "Scottish citizen". This is fundamental.

and therefore Sturgeon has a moral, rather than legal case for assuming that Scotland has a right to decide it's own EU fate post EU referendum, if it disagrees with the other home nations.

Right.

So, in the same way Orkney and Shetland had a "moral" right to remain in the UK if they voted not to secede on Sep 18th?

But there can be no such action.

There's no such thing as a "Scottish citizen". This is fundamental.

It's certainly legally fundamental, it doesn't alter the fact that there are clear national identities within the British state and it's also clear that there are divergences of opinion on policy issues. I'm not arguing the legality of this, I'm suggesting that an EU out vote where Scotland is perceived to have voted in favour of staying is a realistic trigger for a second Indy ref, legally binding or no. That's all based on the slightly irrational setting of identities, nevertheless, it's real enough even if it has no legal character.

I'm not arguing the legality of this, I'm suggesting that an EU out vote where Scotland is perceived to have voted in favour of staying is a realistic trigger for a second Indy ref, legally binding or no. That's all based on the slightly irrational setting of identities, nevertheless, it's real enough even if it has no legal character.

It's exactly what Tavish Scott tried before the Indy referendum. Pointless posturing that means nothing.

Right.

So, in the same way Orkney and Shetland had a "moral" right to remain in the UK if they voted not to secede on Sep 18th?

yeah, they did, and had they set their own referendum in order to make that fact clear to them, more power to them. As I've said countless times you can reduce this argument to absurdity, Scotland can go on it's own, Orkney can go on it's own, why not Aberdeen? - you can go the other way, what's so special about the UK as an organsing unit. There is a clear irrationality in how people choose identities, at the same time, it has it's own life - Scotland as a cultural, geographical unit has a life of it's own that encompasses Orkney and Glasgow. Scotland is an indivisible unit, not for any real reason other than historical inertia, but that's real enough. The British state cannot make the same claim despite being legally so.

Scotland is an indivisible unit, not for any real reason other than historical inertia, but that's real enough. The British state cannot make the same claim despite being legally so.

Scotland is quite clearly not an "indivisible unit".

Scotland is quite clearly not an "indivisible unit".

The birth of scotland as a nation involved the elite carving the place up for their own ends without ever consulting the people. In reality, scotlands place in the UK has now got more legitimacy than the kingdom of Scotland ever had. It remains the ONLY constituent part of the united kingdom which has ratified it's continuing membership.

Why is it unbelievable?

Leaving the EU would be a disaster for Scotland.

The UK is supposed to be a democracy, why isn't every party willing to let the people have a say. The majority will win, whether we stay or go, and democracy is the winner. Why are they so terrified of that ?

Archived