Spartans v Clyde

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things about Saturday cannot be excused :- The team's performance and Ferguson's reaction to some pretty tame criticism. No reasoning or allowances can be made for either, and both need sorted.

What's funny about this thread is that it brings out those who don't go to games, those who celebrated ex chairmen dying and those who have an agenda against the chairman. There is also an undoubted level of personal dislike for the manager coming through - which is fair enough I suppose. You could argue a match thread should predominantly be for those in attendance?

Finally what is missing is a bit of reality. We lost two years ago in a replay to Nairn, who were not as good as Spartans, yet there was nowhere near as much bile on that thread. We are 4 points worse off than last season, and a win away from play off spots on again the smallest budget in the division, and we are going through a transitional period on the park. Whether you agree with it or not, you must give it a chance to work before making a full judgement rather than dooming it to failure before its had a chance!

There is of course always a balance to be found in any debate. However what we are talking about here in some posts is not just the current shortcomings of this manager or this team, but indeed the continual disappointment of seeing the club decline over a number of years, and repeated issues with fans behaviour, managers behaviour, team performances and failed strategies.

It is the cumulative effect of frustration and disappointment, not the last week or eight.

Two things about Saturday cannot be excused :- The team's performance and Ferguson's reaction to some pretty tame criticism. No reasoning or allowances can be made for either, and both need sorted.

What's funny about this thread is that it brings out those who don't go to games, those who celebrated ex chairmen dying and those who have an agenda against the chairman. There is also an undoubted level of personal dislike for the manager coming through - which is fair enough I suppose. You could argue a match thread should predominantly be for those in attendance?

Finally what is missing is a bit of reality. We lost two years ago in a replay to Nairn, who were not as good as Spartans, yet there was nowhere near as much bile on that thread. We are 4 points worse off than last season, and a win away from play off spots on again the smallest budget in the division, and we are going through a transitional period on the park. Whether you agree with it or not, you must give it a chance to work before making a full judgement rather than dooming it to failure before its had a chance!

Your point about a personal agenda against the chairman, can you pinpoint who has one & why? When you're speaking about a chairman or board, ie the people who run an organization, they are ultimately responsible for its progress

All anyone can do is judge people by their actions, give credit where it's due, and question it where they feel it's appropriate. Trying to tie an alleged personal agenda to make the point invalid is cute, but it doesn't work. Although from your own post, you seem to think it's "fair enough" to have a personal dislike of the manager?

Speaking of which, it's true, perhaps he will turn everything around. Again, all anyone can do is look at the evidence of the actions so far. Aside from the performance levels with what is now predominantly his own players, he has criticized them in public for a number of weeks now to a degree that would be questioned by experienced managers. The idea being that your players are backed in public, with some level of criticism where appropriate, but largely it's kept for the dressing room. The quote in the Scotsman is incredible

Any team has room for improvement. Last season, that team made the playoffs in 4th, and lost only 2 players to higher leagues. If the manager has come in and decided what was there wasn't good enough, and has made significant changes in personnel, then by definition what he should have now is a team better than last season's. Or at least by the end of the season they should be. People are looking at the overall picture an assessing how likely that will be based on what's happened so far

This season the pyramid system kicks in. We all thought it was about risk reduction, not increasing it

Your point about a personal agenda against the chairman, can you pinpoint who has one & why? When you're speaking about a chairman or board, ie the people who run an organization, they are ultimately responsible for its progress

All anyone can do is judge people by their actions, give credit where it's due, and question it where they feel it's appropriate. Trying to tie an alleged personal agenda to make the point invalid is cute, but it doesn't work. Although from your own post, you seem to think it's "fair enough" to have a personal dislike of the manager?

Speaking of which, it's true, perhaps he will turn everything around. Again, all anyone can do is look at the evidence of the actions so far. Aside from the performance levels with what is now predominantly his own players, he has criticized them in public for a number of weeks now to a degree that would be questioned by experienced managers. The idea being that your players are backed in public, with some level of criticism where appropriate, but largely it's kept for the dressing room. The quote in the Scotsman is incredible

Any team has room for improvement. Last season, that team made the playoffs in 4th, and lost only 2 players to higher leagues. If the manager has come in and decided what was there wasn't good enough, and has made significant changes in personnel, then by definition what he should have now is a team better than last season's. Or at least by the end of the season they should be. People are looking at the overall picture an assessing how likely that will be based on what's happened so far

This season the pyramid system kicks in. We all thought it was about risk reduction, not increasing it

At the risk of sounding cute, no surprises its you posts first response, and that's as much attention as I'll give your post

There is of course always a balance to be found in any debate. However what we are talking about here in some posts is not just the current shortcomings of this manager or this team, but indeed the continual disappointment of seeing the club decline over a number of years, and repeated issues with fans behaviour, managers behaviour, team performances and failed strategies.

It is the cumulative effect of frustration and disappointment, not the last week or eight.

Well said SouthLanarkshireWhite. I might also add that I'm sick of the idea - usually deployed by people who seem keen on the EK idea - that any criticism of the way the club is run, or how the team is doing, is somehow illegitimate, or has a hidden agenda behind it.

I also agree with the point that it's the wider (generally unprofessional) atmosphere around BF that is causing more concern than might be justified.

Ferguson's apologised, for the conduct at least, but hands up time....the writings on the wall that this is an absolute disaster waiting to happen. And i speak as one of the half dozen extremely fucked off with Clyde fans who stood applauding Spartans into the tunnel after correctly berating my team of spineless amoebas. The fine line between distinguishing whats correct criticism has went on for years....i remember Brucey Dunn jubilantly bouncing around the Westfield Suite after we bored our way to a win over Arbroath in our first match after Maitland chucked it, claiming it was good to finally feel 'professional'....as usual he wasnt short of sycophants rushing to agree with him. Frankly i've only ever liked three or four individuals from the club or payroll who werent players, certainly none of the current lot. If you shake hands with them, count your fingers after. Of the previous goons we have endured, not many of them appeared capable of doing a child out of a sweetie....which is quite worrying in a way. Those doing the bitching about others' alleged agendas need to wind their necks in when it concerns their own, but at least they have an opinion.

:lol: People who think I was annoyed about the shouting.

I was annoyed about the result, like everyone else, and I shouted at Ferguson since I thought he should be shouting at the team but it's up to him how he manages the team. In the cup of course there's a few cup shocks, we were the victim of one of those. Oh well, lets move on and think about the league which we're unbeaten in 4 in.

For all the Clyde fans this is what it's like tae have yer ain ground, though unless yer aboot 50 you'll no remember.
Probably more like aboot 90 given the last 50 years at Shawfield were as tenants with the greyhound racing promoters ruling the roost.
I dont think its spartans ground either ??Remember Clyde fans its only a game :P

Archived