SNP Deputy Leadership Contest

Ludo*1

It was the best of times, it was the most hilarious of times. Otherwise sane people telling me it would be 60+ percent yes, with a straight face no less.

Oh how I laughed on the morning after. To quote Wordsworth

I was hearing this from quite a few as well.

Internal polling and all that..

Its a bit like poor old Kiwififer who used to inbox the faithful with tales from the frontline during the local election campaign, all of which was being fed to him by some glaiket party hack handler, and all of which turned out to be utter bollocks. As said at the time, morale for the letterbox fodder is a big deal in political parties. They will be whipped up by tales of canvas returns and private polling which are entirely figments of the parties imagination. A shame, but in time you get wise to it...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of those three Hosie is the best candidate, but Robertson and Yousaf would have been comfortably better options. Like Hosie they're capable of entering a debate, putting across a reasonable argument and winning, but they're capable of doing so without coming across as condescending or a total c**t. Hosie can do the former but he needs to learn the latter if he's going to be a success in a more prominent role.

Brown is a bit of a non-entity and Constance is a total non-entity, but at least Brown attempts to talk about policies in his statement.

If there's another thread on this, my mistake! I just couldn't see one offhand.

The three candidates up for election are:

Keith Brown MSP for Clackmannanshire & Dunblane

Angela Constance MSP for Almond Valley

Stewart Hosie MP for Dundee East.

Can only see it being between Hosie and Brown personally. I'd prefer Hosie to Brown but neither are particularly great choices in my opinion.

Shows the complete lack of talent within the SNP, 3 no name candidates, this is what you get when a party depends on 2 political heavyweights at the top, the rest are mostly "mince"

No idea why Humza Yousaf or Angus Robertson never put themselves forward.

maybe a bit early for Hamza Yousaf, as for dear old Angus, give me a break :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith Brown will win hopefully. Good choice, and so far, very underrated, albeit not having a lot of media exposure.

there is a very good reason why he has had very little media exposure.................

Brown has got my vote so far.

There's a hustings this weekend which I'm going to. The mrs is going for Angela Constance and I could be convinced over so I'll wait to vote.

I like Hosie, but think Robertson is a more effective spokesman from Westminster. There's also rumours Salmond fancies getting back to Westminster.

There's a lot to be said for having the deputy leader down in Westminster considering how important the next couple of years are going to be. But then Angus Robertson has been doing a fine job of leading the WM SNP group and I wouldn't like to see that undermined in any way.

Tough choice.

There's a lot to be said for having the deputy leader down in Westminster considering how important the next couple of years are going to be. But then Angus Robertson has been doing a fine job of leading the WM SNP group and I wouldn't like to see that undermined in any way.

Tough choice.

To be fair, Robertson had his chance to run for deputy and baulked. His current position will be pretty much redundant if Hosie wins.

Keith Brown is probably the best choice out of that lot. Robertson does a good job at WM and I would rather he wasn't overshadowed by the while not being as laughably foolish and as much of a bell piece as some on here make him out to be still a bit of a fool and a bit of a bell piece Hosie. Robertson should have got the job and been in effect leader at Westminster but I fancy Salmond has his eye on that job. There would be some irony if he were to stand in his constituency of birth and become the member for West Lothian. I suspect Yousuf is biding his time and waiting for the next time the top job is up for grabs, he's still in his twenties and has the benefit of having time on his side to hang around a bit gain a bit of experience first in the cabinet perhaps.

At the end of the day it might not matter all that much as I don't the successor will be able to build the profile Sturgeon has and we may have a Forman SNP-Green coalition post 2016 and Harvie and co-first minister- convenor or whatever title the Greens like.

Archived