motherwell have always been quite conservative in the attendances they announce. Im sure this has something to do with tax. Why would a football club pretend there are more at a game than there really is? I cant get my head around that tbh. I don't think they do. surely not? why would they? i don't think they are as small minded and petty as some on here seem to think.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

United have sold around 1000 "festive hat trick" tickets so far for the Celtic, aberdeen and Dundee games. Add that to 5500 season tickets there will likely only be a couple of thousand home tickets available when these go on sale and all three are pretty likely to sell out. So far so boring. However, just got me wondering if we were back in the days of pay at the gate, unrestricted terraces and reasonable prices how many would attend these games.

The ne'er day Derby I could see a crowd well in excess of 20k maybe approaching 25k or am I talking pish?

motherwell have always been quite conservative in the attendances they announce. Im sure this has something to do with tax. Why would a football club pretend there are more at a game than there really is? I cant get my head around that tbh. I don't think they do. surely not? why would they? i don't think they are as small minded and petty as some on here seem to think.

Celtic claim more because they include season ticket holders in the numbers. I don't know why, but I suspect it's for PR reasons because there's no other benefit to it. But the very fact some clubs do overestimate so freely underlines why clubs don't understate attendances for tax reasons despite the myths that surround it. It would be comically naive to try it.

St Johnstone - and presumably Motherwell - will automatically count people as they come in the turnstile. Only variable is how much they attribute to corporates/freebies or whether they count them at all.

United have sold around 1000 "festive hat trick" tickets so far for the Celtic, aberdeen and Dundee games. Add that to 5500 season tickets there will likely only be a couple of thousand home tickets available when these go on sale and all three are pretty likely to sell out. So far so boring. However, just got me wondering if we were back in the days of pay at the gate, unrestricted terraces and reasonable prices how many would attend these games.

The ne'er day Derby I could see a crowd well in excess of 20k maybe approaching 25k or am I talking pish?

The festive ticket idea from united is a great way of pulling in boys for games around Xmas.

I remember when Hibs and Hearts would come to Fir Park and more or less fill the South Stand, now they don't come at all and Ross County and Inverness bring a couple of hundred.

Also, our highest attendances of the season were always v Rangers. In the days of terracing we would get 15,000 crowds. Even when the stands were built the games were usually still a sell out of around 12 - 13,000. Latterly these matches had dropped to about 9,000 - 10,000 due to fewer visiting fans and a drop off in home fans attending OF matches.

Celtic haven't traditionally come to Fir Park in the numbers of Rangers fans but our last match had less than 7,500 in the 3-3 draw with Celtic. There has been a big drop in home fans coming to these matches, I'd imagine very few non season ticket holders come to these matches now and even many ST holders stay away from these matches. I'd say that significantly more Motherwell fans turn out for matches against other teams than the OF. The gulf in class and the general atmosphere at these matches, I think, is a big turn off for many supporters.

Among our core support there has been widespread disillusionment during probably one of our most successful periods. Cup football is probably the most exciting point of the season for most clubs as they actually have a chance of winning something but Motherwell's record in these matches has been pathetic. We also failed to even score a goal in 6 consecutive European matches, which made the whole idea of qualifying for Europe seem a bit futile as we were miles off the pace in all of these matches. High prices, poor quality football and a lack of real competition in the league I think have very much diminished its appeal.

I remember when Hibs and Hearts would come to Fir Park and more or less fill the South Stand, now they don't come at all and Ross County and Inverness bring a couple of hundred.

Also, our highest attendances of the season were always v Rangers. In the days of terracing we would get 15,000 crowds. Even when the stands were built the games were usually still a sell out of around 12 - 13,000. Latterly these matches had dropped to about 9,000 - 10,000 due to fewer visiting fans and a drop off in home fans attending OF matches.

Celtic haven't traditionally come to Fir Park in the numbers of Rangers fans but our last match had less than 7,500 in the 3-3 draw with Celtic. There has been a big drop in home fans coming to these matches, I'd imagine very few non season ticket holders come to these matches now and even many ST holders stay away from these matches. I'd say that significantly more Motherwell fans turn out for matches against other teams than the OF. The gulf in class and the general atmosphere at these matches, I think, is a big turn off for many supporters.

Among our core support there has been widespread disillusionment during probably one of our most successful periods. Cup football is probably the most exciting point of the season for most clubs as they actually have a chance of winning something but Motherwell's record in these matches has been pathetic. We also failed to even score a goal in 6 consecutive European matches, which made the whole idea of qualifying for Europe seem a bit futile as we were miles off the pace in all of these matches. High prices, poor quality football and a lack of real competition in the league I think have very much diminished its appeal.

Didn't you score 4 against Stjarnan

Didn't you score 4 against Stjarnan

They didnt score in either leg of the ties against Panathankios, Levante or Krasnodar before the scored against Stjarnan. They also never scored in the second leg against Odense before that, so it was actually seven games without a goal.

Is is a decent article, and the graphs are a good way of illustrating their point immediately. Although I would have made some distinction for seasons outwith the top tier: say a hatched effect.

Notable - despite the doom mongering - are the general stability or even slight increases at many of the larger clubs (you could put Rangers until recently, Hearts, and Hibs in that bracket too). However, we can also see the steady decline at Kilmarnock and Motherwell.

Also, despite the oft-heard despairing of many of their fans, St Johnstone have - broadly speaking - been steadily rising for 10yrs.

Think we'll get around 11,000 for both Aberdeen and Celtic and then 13,000+ for the Derby. It won't be near 14,000 as there will be segregation in the Jerry Kerr.

Still pretty good though and its nice to see us averaging over 7000 against teams who bring on average 300 away fans. Inverness game is the first of half season tickets so should be decent crowd there too.

Big teams like United and Aberdeen still took decent crowds on Saturday. Cup crowds have been dwindling for years which is a fucking nonsense seeing as the biggest thing most of us can win. Have to say I always loved Scottish cup third round day being 2nd week in January.

Big teams like United and Aberdeen still took decent crowds on Saturday. Cup crowds have been dwindling for years which is a fucking nonsense seeing as the biggest thing most of us can win. Have to say I always loved Scottish cup third round day being 2nd week in January.

I used to love going through at the Start of January and look forward to the cup, now it's in December people don't have as much money as it is coming up to Christmas and can't afford £25 to watch a game that is on the telly.

Archived