Where should my son go to Uni? P&B decides.

Romeo

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A few people have mentioned Glasgow and that would be my first choice as no need for digs, decent uni and such but I think he fancies staying in another town/city.

Thats a good shout as Uni should be a new experience and it won't really feel much different for him if he's living at home and still in same city.

I would have said Edinburgh would be the best of the places to live in but the uni is well known for its snobbery.

I don't know what sort of personality your boy's got on him but my suggestion would be to move away to get the best out of the whole experience.

Exactly. I suggested Glasgow too, but if that's where you live I retract it. Definitely a good idea to send him away.

e.g. if he goes to Edinburgh and spends 1st year in halls, he'll meet a bunch of new friends, tap some poon, and generally set himself up with people to move into a flat with the following year. It's ideal.

I'm currently doing an MLift in French Lifterature if that helps bro #benchlifteraturemorelike
Qual course m9. Being legit on French lit is an amaze way to impress 9's but it can also be incredibly empowering. #doyouevenupliftbro
Here's a novel idea- let him decide.
Sounds like a shite novel brah.

I went to Manchester and agree that it's a great City & Uni but like you say tuition fees would blow most folk out of the water. Scandalous.

There are tuition fee loans though, Saars in Scotland I believe, you don't start paying it back till you are earning in excess of £23K and then it's graded the more you earn the more you pay. A first year undergraduate at MMU can get up to £3K a year in support packages, all non refundable. So its not quite as black as it's painted.

Things may have changed over the last couple of decades but Embra and St Andrews used to be Scottish universities in name only, filled with yahs with a lot of the lecturers gearing their courses more towards the English education system. Voted for Aberdeen as the best of the rest that are/were genuinely geared towards Scottish students.

Things may have changed over the last couple of decades but Embra and St Andrews used to be Scottish universities in name only, filled with yahs with a lot of the lecturers gearing their courses more towards the English education system.

When I was at Edinburgh (from 2003 to 2007) they tried to sneak in courses about 'The British Enlightenment', etc, which seemed to be part of a wider movement to argue the case for the importance of 'British' (rather than Scottish) thinkers in that period - I'm not having it - mainly because it's not really true - despite what they might argue, in comparison to philosophers in Scotland, mainland Europe (mainly France) and America, English writers seriously lagged behind.

Were they on the list? Agree that they are probably close to being on a par or better than Aberdeen depending on the subject. Think the idea was the future student in question would go somewhere that would mean living away from home and that meant the east coast.

Ah sorry I didn't notice they weren't in consideration because of location.

Just noticed as well that it was for East coast, as I was about to recommend Glasgow for its English Lit. department. Outstanding time there, plus the department is top and the lecturers and tutors were great.

As for Edinburgh, I was only there for a year for a post-grad and couldn't get out quickly enough. It may be top in the league-tables for research or whatever etc. but I would not recommend in the slightest.

• 9 months later...