JamieStevenson

Just watched the season premiere. Good or bad? I have no idea whatsoever right now. Sitting through it thinking "what the hell am I watching?"

Unlike most of the other TV shows based on comics I have no prior knowledge of this one at all. Where is John Constantine supposed to be from? Newcastle? There was a hint of Geordie at the start but all I'm hearing now is a Welsh accent, I can't get past it.

Think I'll stick with it though, the visuals are fantastic.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Constantine - born in Liverpool, brought up in Northhampton, lived the majority of his life in London and Matt Ryan the actor who plays him is Welsh, so I suppose the accent will be a bit fucked up!!! :geek

I enjoyed it, but how a DC/Vertigo character is going to blend into the Nolan-verse, I'm not sure and believe it or not this, somehow is connected to the same Universe as Batman, Arrow, The Flash etc as it is under the remit of Christopher Nolan (as all Cinematic characterisations of DC characters are) and also Constantine is actually written by David S. Goyer the screenwriter of all three of Nolan's Batman films, so the pedigree is there as are the effects and stylisation of the show, it's all very good so far, I've definitely seen enough to keep me going with it!!!

But I do feel that the only thing that could go against this show is the basic premise that Constantine is a c**t, a humanist with man's best interests at heart, but a cynical c**t all the same, now this makes for an interesting character on the written page and fans will already be liking what they're seeing but I'm thinking that your average TV viewer might not be prepared to invest the time into giving such a show with such an obvious anti-hero a chance, hope I'm wrong though!!!

Something bad happened in Newcastle...read quite a bit of the comics, a really good character and a right c**t as previouy said. I don't recall many cross-overs in what I read apart from Swamp Thing where I think he first appeared?

• 2 weeks later...

John Constantine - born in Liverpool, brought up in Northhampton, lived the majority of his life in London and Matt Ryan the actor who plays him is Welsh, so I suppose the accent will be a bit fucked up!!! :geek

I enjoyed it, but how a DC/Vertigo character is going to blend into the Nolan-verse, I'm not sure and believe it or not this, somehow is connected to the same Universe as Batman, Arrow, The Flash etc as it is under the remit of Christopher Nolan (as all Cinematic characterisations of DC characters are) and also Constantine is actually written by David S. Goyer the screenwriter of all three of Nolan's Batman films, so the pedigree is there as are the effects and stylisation of the show, it's all very good so far, I've definitely seen enough to keep me going with it!!!

But I do feel that the only thing that could go against this show is the basic premise that Constantine is a c**t, a humanist with man's best interests at heart, but a cynical c**t all the same, now this makes for an interesting character on the written page and fans will already be liking what they're seeing but I'm thinking that your average TV viewer might not be prepared to invest the time into giving such a show with such an obvious anti-hero a chance, hope I'm wrong though!!!

Are they really all set in the same univese so there can be crossovers?

It seems to me DC are doing too much right now trying to catch marvel.

Arrow, the flash, gotham and constantine mean 4 DC series all at once and also going up against agents of sheild.

I'd assumed gotham was different 'cos it's on a different timeline and only arrow and the flash were linked directly.

I think maybe I have a personal problem with mixing up superheroes and mystical stuff too much. Dr strange as an avenger also seemed weird to me.

• 2 months later...

Must admit I'm enjoying this.

Watching this on my own as the wife doesn't like 'scary' stuff.... I laughed at this until the last one I watched, eps 6 I think with the possessed serial killer demon kid!

Haha a couple of wee jumpy moments and woke her up shouting 'Shit' as I was lying in bed watching on the iPad. Creepy wee fucker it was.

Still enjoying this but still waiting to see if NBC are going to renew it for a second season though!!!

Apparently they haven't ordered the second part of Season One as they did with Gotham and The Flash and as such Season One will end with Episode 13, Constantine‘s late launch meant that the network only had four episodes worth of ratings to work with when the time came to make a decision about how many episodes to order!!!

but this is not the end of Constantine they might yet renew it for a second season as the next 9 scripts, which were written as the second part of Season one are already in place and the series has had a major, major resurge in the ratings in it's last half of the season, so it hasn't been cancelled, apparently it is just a desicion that hasn't been made yet!!!

Also anybody else recognise his mate Chas???

Just realised that he was Reggie Ledoux in True Detective, the guy that was dancing around the garden in his pants and a gasmask!!!

• 2 months later...

Seems Warner Brothers are trying pretty hard to get this picked up by another network, The CW appears to be the favoured destination.

The Arrow himself is campaigning for this show too, he tweeted:

#SaveConstantine -- Hey TV Networks / Netflix and the like... If you pick up the show, I'll guest star.

• 2 weeks later...

Gets backing From Shatner and the guys from Supernatural. Can't believe they cancelled it but then started Lucififer

• 3 years later...

If anybody missed this first time round , it started again last night on FOX at 8pm (Tuesday's), you'll get the first one easily enough on catchup and just Series Link the rest, if you haven't seen it it's well worth the watching!!!

still suprised this never got picked up, given how successful Arrow / Flash / Supergirl / Legions were at the time. Although mybe 5 shows running at the same time, all interlinked would have been too much

They're obviously still keeping the character going, he's appeared in Arrow since then and I'm sure he's rumoured to be making an appearance in Legions!!!
There is so many good things that could still be done with this, they might pick it up again for the new DC streaming channel, there is a few Easter Eggs in the series that would be worth visiting, I always liked that back in Constantine's house/HQ//Batcave, Dr. Fate's helmet was sitting on a shelf, how he got a hold of that would have been a good story!!!

Archived