Motherwell v Day-Glo Nightmares

thisGRAEME

Also I was impressed with Connelly when he came on for United. I'd never heard of him till the game a few weeks ago was he one of the Queens park youngsters?

He arrived with Andy Robertson but has taken an extra year to break into the first team. Looks like a really exciting prospect.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As mentioned the first half went really well and some good passing and movement. Midfield looked to be gelling quite well at that point too. Dan Twardzik kept Motherwell in the game for the most part with a string of saves from one to ones throughout. Time and time again which was all too familiar last season was Motherwell's inept ability to keep a lead in the second half. Does Black ever learn? Winning at half time, the opposition have had a talking to so lets go out and sit back. It doesn't work.

Second half Utd were good. Made a lot (and wasted) chances but they were impressive. I don't think Motherwell played all that bad either tbf but Utd deserved their win.

Iain Vigurs (whom I like a lot as a player) started to piss me off somewhat. Especially when he lost the ball at 1-1 and just stood there watching the Utd player move past him without even trying to tackle. This led to a one on one which Twardzik managed to save. I hope he gets a bloody rollicking for that. Paul Lawson hobbled off injured again - he is starting to be the Darren Anderton of the squad by the look of things but it was nice to see him play in a familiar position in the first half.

It was a poor first half display from United, yet we could easily have had 2 or 3 goals. Can't believe the number of sitters we missed today.

Second half was better, and we ground out the win.

Obvious to see what Souttar adds to the team - still making the occasional mistake, but looking good, and hopefully he can stick in there alongside Fojut. Weird illness, given he was warming up before the game.

I don't know why, but I really like seeing Watson score.

Are United fans in the minority in loving the Scottish Cup? I think we outnumbered the Motherwell fans today which is pretty fcuked up!

I made it 6 one on ones we missed plus other chances. All set for it to be one of those days.

We are a really exciting team with the ball. Without the ball we are murder sometimes, thought well pulled us around and drifted by some shocking tackling in first half.

I'm always delighted when Watson scores too. How much does the away stand hold, I would guess about 2500 in there today?

Butcher made a huge difference when he came on. We really never got stuck into Motherwell at all until he came on and seemed scared to tackle at times. I don't know if starting with one holding mid was the right decision but Jackie did really well with his changes and change of formation to turn the game around for us.

Apparently there was 4827 at Fir Park, with 2061 being Arabs, looked more like 6500. I call Bullsh!t

To be fair, I thought less than 5000 when I was at the game. The stand behind the goals holds 4800, it looked like Utd had just about half filled it. Not too surprised when the figures came out.

I don't know why, but I really like seeing Watson score!

I LOVE Keith Watson. I'd start him every game if his knees would hold out.

I came home from the game and had a look at United's Facebook page. The comments when they put on that Keith was replacing Fojut were all very negative. It makes his goal all the more sweet.

I thought united were really shite in the first half. Motherwell were all over us and I feared we were going to be on the receiving end of a right kicking. Great to see them come out in the second half looking much stronger, slicker and more creative.

Is that the first time this season we've come from behind to win?

I didn't get to the game so will catch in up on Arabzone later, delighted we are through after a very tricky tie away from home. Good to hear that the players that came into the team played well and that Connolly made an impact (as well as Butcher).

Apparently there was 4827 at Fir Park, with 2061 being Arabs, looked more like 6500. I call Bullsh!t

I thought that as well. :lol:

Given that the South Stand holds 4,500 and it was about two thirds full I suspect there may a shortage of calculators in Fir Park these days.

Strange game. We were poor in first half and Motherwell could have been home and dry had they taken their chances. It looked like we had a couple too but from where we were it was hard to see if we were unlucky or just poor finishing.

Our defensive midfield tactics that worked so well last week didn't work at all this week, hence Motherwell's dominance. They also kept the ball really well and we were chasing shadows for much of the first half.

Our half time substitution made all the difference; I reckon Butcher has reinvented himself as a defensive midfielder, he was impressive today. Once we had rectified that situation our attacking players were able to do their stuff and I thought we were awesome going forward in the second half.

Also if there is any doubt about Connolly starting ahead of GMS it was answered today; he did more in his first 15 minutes on the park than GMS did in an hour.

Despite my misgivings of Souttar I thought he did OK today as well as getting a goal. It was good to see Watson score,he had a torrid time of it defensively in the first half. Dillon was my MOM; Erskine and Armstrong put in a shift and I thought Dow did really well though he's not suited playing that role he ran himself ragged for 90 minutes.

Delighted with a win that I would not have predicted at half time. Also excellent away support.

I thought that as well. :lol:

Given that the South Stand holds 4,500 and it was about two thirds full I suspect there may a shortage of calculators in Fir Park these days.

TBF I think clubs aren't 100% honest over the attendance figures nowadays, less tax

I reckon Butcher has reinvented himself as a defensive midfielder, he was impressive today. Once we had rectified that situation our attacking players were able to do their stuff and I thought we were awesome going forward in the second half.

I wouldn't get too excited. He added aggression which was needed, but we really need some football players in the middle of the park. Watching Keith Lasley take the piss out of our midfield is about as much as I can handle. Well that and Paul Paton thinking he's a quarterback - is he unable to move and pass the ball at the same time?

2766 Motherwell fans sounds right mate, our end was fucking empty. Less than 3000 'Well fans for Scottish Cup 4th round day? Abysmal. Never quite thought I'd see the day. Having 4th round day in November is utterly gash.

Archived