UKIP

Im_Rodger

Is there some justification that a lot of people voted UKIP in England as a protest vote.

Remember not that long ago the SNP were derided as a protest party up here.

I'm not linking their policy terms with that of the SNP BUT a lot of people in Northern England felt rightly disenfranchised by the establishment and the labour party in particular, imo.

Obviously they have a lot of the crazy as bat shit brigade too.

Is there some justification that a lot of people voted UKIP in England as a protest vote.

I'm not linking their policy terms with that of the SNP BUT a lot of people in Northern England felt rightly disenfranchised by the establishment and the labour party in particular, imo.

Aye mate you have hit the nail squarely on the napper. Not just the North though .Big 3 nearly all the same and ukip had an appeal to the disenfranchised voters .And yeah they are a bit crazy. Sometimes crazy is good.Just a shame that the votes didn't turn into deserved seats

Missed this thread. Where the f**k did this cretin come from? He seems a bit upset. *Insert Ainsley Harriett meme*

Perhaps it's the boy that took the selfie with the Nigel t-shirt on.

If it was a national list system like in Israel then the SNP would be on the ballot paper in London and Aberdonians coud choose Plaid Cymru or Sinn Fein. It would be nost intriguing

I never really thought about it like this. I'm a fan of PR but I always saw it as bad for Scotland as it would further dilute the SNP, and hence a voice for Scotland.

This is from the Express so I wouldn't swear by its accuracy:

graphpol-286376.jpg

It doesn't include the NI parties or Plaid Cymru, so I'll hazard a quess it's not very accurate.

To be fair to UKIP I sympathise with their not getting fair representation.

Its a bit of a broken system that allows a party to get absolute control on 36% of the vote and then allows them to gerrymander the system to their advantage. Surely things like boundaries shouldnt be in the MPs control

Yep that sort of system appears pretty poor to me, but the people vote overwhelmingly for two parties who support it.

Aye mate you have hit the nail squarely on the napper. Not just the North though .Big 3 nearly all the same and ukip had an appeal to the disenfranchised voters .And yeah they are a bit crazy. Sometimes crazy is good.Just a shame that the votes didn't turn into deserved seats

"Deserved seats" :lol:

They were thumped in every constituency in which they stood, bar one. Which of those many humiliating defeats were undeserved?

UKIP was never off the TV for years on the run up to this election, never did I hear them question the FPTP system, Now they're crying about it how it's unfair etc....

I get the impression they generally thought they would have been in the SNP position as the 3rd biggest party in the house giving it big licks and when that didn't work out, the dummy was firmly been thrown out the pram.

I'm also seeing UKIP only averaged 6,220 per candidate whereas the SNP got 24,651.

That wold include areas they stood within Scotland

graphpol-286376.jpg

The Daily Express now??

Did they support AV, imperfect as it was, when they had the chance 2 years ago?

So many sudden converts to PR from Ukip to sad Labour.

graphpol-286376.jpg

If you add up the total for each party under PR, it totals 650! So, no DUP, SDLP, UUP, SF, Independent (Lady Sylvia Hermon) or Plaid Cymru.

I was going to write that going by those figure, Labour + Lib Dems + SNP + Greens could have formed a coalition, as they would have had 327 seats, whereas Conservatives + UKIP would have had 323.

It would certainly have made things a lot more interesting under that scenario.

But not including the NI parties and Plaid Cymru in their calculations makes the whole thing irrelevant.

While I massively disagreed with them, I know a few (mostly elderly folk) who voted for UKIP as a protest against Labour and the Tories. None of them harbour any strong anti-immigrant or EU feelings, but had had enough of the other parties.

If you live in a seat where the Greens aren't likely to make any headway I can see why they'd do it.

While I massively disagreed with them, I know a few (mostly elderly folk) who voted for UKIP as a protest against Labour and the Tories. None of them harbour any strong anti-immigrant or EU feelings, but had had enough of the other parties.

But they can barely remember their own name and they'll all be dead soon.

I'm sure that's not going to come back and haunt me.

They've had their period of "success", only way is down now.

Aye, that explains why they've just taken control of their first council - something the BNP, Greens & 57 varieties of Communist Party in the UK never managed once.

Like the Greens, they'll be gutted that yet again it proved so near & yet so far (the Bristol West result was a particular sickener - Greens leapfrogging the Libdems, only to get leapfrogged in turn by Labour), but as the SNP know very well it is a very slow road to beating the ugly sisters - and at least both know they can swat the Lib Dems aside now with ease.

And one small crumb of comfort is that the combined reminants of the far right - the BNP & NF - secured less votes than the Official Monster Raving Loony Party and the Cannabis Is Safer Than Alcohol Party. When even a veteran evil old b*****d like Holocaust denier Richard Edmonds can only scrap 49 votes in a seat where his old BNP mates got over 1000 last time (with UKIP opposition, may I add), it's pretty safe to say they're finished. Bye bye, nasty Nazis, you won't be missed.

Thanet is over 90% White British.

I can only assume these people that think it's overrun with immigrants have never traveled west of the Medway.

Studies have shown UKIP vote is highest in areas where the immigrant population is lowest. Strange but true.