Fernando Ricksen

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A statement from Ricksen...

I want to react on yesterdays article in the Daily Record about Ally McCoist being banned from the Tribute Game on Sunday the 25th of January.

Neither Rangers nor me have banned Ally McCoist from the game.

I was shocked to read it in the papers just like everybody else.

Ally McCoist is a great man who has my greatest respect.
He is a Rangers Legend and All-Time goal scorer.
He has done amazing things for the club as a player and coach.

If there are problems between Rangers and Ally McCoist then it’s between them.
This should be settled between them and not the papers.
Neither should the Tribute Game or me be dragged into this.

The game on Sunday should be a great positive day.
A day that will show what it means to be part of ‘The Rangers Family’.
A Family that helps each other in difficult times.

I really hope to see Ally McCoist on Sunday at Ibrox.
I hope he will come.

Fernando Ricksen

Went with a celtic daft mate and his family to Stiliyan Petrov's charity match and it was a great day out,fantastic atmosphere and a little bit more than emotional as it brings your own mortality into question when you see guys like Stiliyan and Fernando struck down with a very severe and life threatening illness at such young ages...you cheer or boo these guys on a Saturday,but it's hard to imagine them no longer with us.....so I have no doubt that Fernando Ricksen's match will be a sellout also,and have the same friendly and warm feeling that there was at the Celtic game...forget whatever is going on just now,and all other differences get put aside at times like this.

Ricksen was a decent footballer and I wish him all the best and hope for a full recovery, he doesn't deserve what is happening to him right now.

^^^^^^ This and others.

WTF is going on? People being sensible, kind, generous, respectful and friendly ffs!

This is no way to conduct a thread involving The Rangers. Get a grip.

FYI. Only kidding. Good luck to Ricksen.

In all seriousness, good on the club for doing this. I've sent a wee donation direct - Link.

(I'm assuming twenty is more or less the cost of a ticket?)

ETA: And Sally could do with opening his pocket, not his mouth for a change.

Decent gesture WRK, that's very good of you, I take it all back.

Rob

Fernando Ricksen statement: "To all Rangers fans and groups I read on social networking that some fans don't want to attend my game on Sunday as they believe some of the proceeds will go to Rangers Football Club. I can state now RFC will not benefit from the proceeds of my game. it will be split 4 ways between myself, lsabella Ricksen, MND Scotland and Rangers foundation. Glasgow Rangers have been kind enough to donate the stadium and facilities free of charge so please don't let this keep Rangers fans away from the chance to see some of the greatest players I have played with at Rangers football club and throughout my career. Please all supporter groups share this Thank you all for your support Fernando Ricksen"

AS a fundraising and tribute match takes place at Ibrox Stadium this Sunday, Celtic FC Foundation, the charitable arm of Celtic Football Club, today announced that it is to make a £10,000 donation in support of Fernando Ricksen, his family and Motor Neurone Disease Association Scotland.

The match takes place following the sad announcement in 2013 that Fernando Ricksen had been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease.

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: “We are pleased to be able to make a donation which will assist both Fernando’s family and MND Scotland.

"At Celtic, unfortunately we are all too familiar with MND and its devastating effects. Jimmy Johnstone, the man voted Celtic’s greatest ever player, fought bravely against this illness as did former player John Cushley, someone who gave so many years’ service to the Club.

"Through Celtic FC Foundation and our wider charitable work, we are also in contact with a number of supporters who are facing this disease. We have had a long association with charities which work to tackle MND and through this event we are pleased to be able to offer our support again.

"We would like also to take this opportunity to send our thoughts and best wishes to Fernando and his family.”

http://www.celticfc.net/news/7527

AS a fundraising and tribute match takes place at Ibrox Stadium this Sunday, Celtic FC Foundation, the charitable arm of Celtic Football Club, today announced that it is to make a £10,000 donation in support of Fernando Ricksen, his family and Motor Neurone Disease Association Scotland.The match takes place following the sad announcement in 2013 that Fernando Ricksen had been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease.Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: “We are pleased to be able to make a donation which will assist both Fernando’s family and MND Scotland."At Celtic, unfortunately we are all too familiar with MND and its devastating effects. Jimmy Johnstone, the man voted Celtic’s greatest ever player, fought bravely against this illness as did former player John Cushley, someone who gave so many years’ service to the Club."Through Celtic FC Foundation and our wider charitable work, we are also in contact with a number of supporters who are facing this disease. We have had a long association with charities which work to tackle MND and through this event we are pleased to be able to offer our support again."We would like also to take this opportunity to send our thoughts and best wishes to Fernando and his family.”http://www.celticfc.net/news/7527

I saw this morning, great gesture by Celtic.

Hope Rickson gets a full house at his game...horrible,horrible illness to have.

I saw this morning, great gesture by Celtic. Hope Rickson gets a full house at his game...horrible,horrible illness to have.

It truly is. Well played the Hoops.

Could have been classier and just continued to fund their charitable work as they have been. Which is laudable, and only to be expected of a club with the public image they like to project. I don't see the need to go down this road with respect to what the rangers fans (not the club) are doing.

Cheap PR, really, so they can wave to their cousins from the moral high ground. No normal person issues a press release when they donate to charity, do they?

Could have been classier and just continued to fund their charitable work as they have been. Which is laudable, and only to be expected of a club with the public image they like to project. I don't see the need to go down this road with respect to what the rangers fans (not the club) are doing.

Cheap PR, really, so they can wave to their cousins from the moral high ground. No normal person issues a press release when they donate to charity, do they?

A good gesture is called Cheap PR now? This is clearly a very sensitive thing for the Rangers support this Ricksen stuff, to do this before the first OF game involving the Newco all kicks off is a smart move IMO.

Can't do anything these days without doing it wrong, they didn't donate = shocking. They do = cheap PR stunt....

A good gesture is called Cheap PR now? This is clearly a very sensitive thing for the Rangers support this Ricksen stuff, to do this before the first OF game involving the Newco all kicks off is a smart move IMO.

Can't do anything these days without doing it wrong, they didn't donate = shocking. They do = cheap PR stunt....

Yet you call it a "smart move". Nobody would have raised an eyebrow had celtic just let their rivals' fans get on with it. Had anyone said anything, they could, at that point, have pointed to their own charitable work.

Or, they could have given the money and not made a statement. But then, it's not real corporate charity work if nobody heard about it, is it?

Yet you call it a "smart move". Nobody would have raised an eyebrow had celtic just let their rivals' fans get on with it. Had anyone said anything, they could, at that point, have pointed to their own charitable work.

Or, they could have given the money and not made a statement. But then, it's not real corporate charity work if nobody heard about it, is it?

Wow how sinical are you?

I've already seen all my Sevco supporting mates applaud the move on twitter.

It's a great move just before the first Old Firm game involving the Newco. Will hopefully make people remember it is just a game of football after all and maybe release a few tensions that are building ever ever ever so slightly.

Could Celtic have even kept this donation private? Is it just Celtic you have a problem with announcing they're donating, what about all the other people/companies that are?

In other words what's the big deal and why is this such a problem to you.

Ricksen was a great footballer and from what I remember a crazy likeable guy. Why make such a fuss over Celtic doing this? Cheap PR, pfffft.

Wow how sinical are you?

I've already seen all my Sevco supporting mates applaud the move on twitter.

It's a great move just before the first Old Firm game involving the Newco. Will hopefully make people remember it is just a game of football after all and maybe release a few tensions that are building ever ever ever so slightly.

Could Celtic have even kept this donation private? Is it just Celtic you have a problem with announcing they're donating, what about all the other people/companies that are?

In other words what's the big deal and why is this such a problem to you.

Ricksen was a great footballer and from what I remember a crazy likeable guy. Why make such a fuss over Celtic doing this? Cheap PR, pfffft.

When it comes to charity? More cynical than you would believe possible. I contribute by DD to a couple of charities, and have made a donation to MND research recently, on the back of hearing about this game. Any person with a bit of decency wants to help those worse off than them, surely.

The problems i have with charity are manyfold. The obvious one, already highlighted, is that everybody wants to make sure that everybody else knows what a good guy/gal/company/government they are - it always has to reflect well on the giver. Nobody in my real life, other than Mrs WRK, needs to hear about my donations, and even she doesn't know yet - at least I don't think I've mentioned it - about the one-off donation to MND research.

Next - why don't we ask why some charities exist? Take the Poppy Appeal - sure, it's a laudable aim to care for those who have been injured and killed in our country's service - SSAFA is one of my wee list - but surely the honourable thing to do, as a nation/society, is to care for these people from the public purse? And don't get me started on Help for Heroes. :angry:

I would add to this category the various medical charities - again, MacMillan is on my list - which surely deserve to at least have the respect of carrying out their work without having to beg?

Then, your modern charity event. When the work colleague who spends most of their weekends walking in the Peak District says "will you sponsor me to walk up to Macchu Pichu?", or the fitness freak asks for sponsorship to run the Great Wall of China - fúck off, unless you're going to pay for my holiday as well.

In this particular case, as far as i know there is no rangers involvement in the organisation, other than the use of the stadium. It's being done for the fans, by the fans, and is a rare bit of good news for them at the moment. I'm sorry if you disagree, but I think celtic's behaviour looks like they're trying to look good.

Oh, and Fernando Ricksen as a player? I remember him as being pacy, skilful, and one of the worst-timed tacklers* I've ever seen. Comes across as a genuinely decent fella, though.

*Being diplomatic, there. ;)

Oh ffs take a day off. Of course you could have made your own one of donation without telling us all about it. You didnt though you made a post about it.

It is a fantastic gesture from Celtic and one i know that will be welcomed by all right thinking people.

You might possibly have a point about charity fund raising and societies responsibilities but do you really think this thread is the right place for your views?

There is enough negativity flying about regarding Rangers and Celtic at the moment. I think this will do nothing but good and remind people that it is only a game. There are far more important things in life

Go boil your head ya clown, one club has reached out to player from a rival club who has been struck down by a terrible disease and your slating it?? This is what football should be about, away from the 90 minutes of a competitive game we are all jock tamsons bairns with different struggles away from the games

Most companies that make large donations publish it?.its good PR for the charity and the donater too, Im sure Ricksen and his charity are delighted with it.

WRK I just don't agree.

I think it was a great gesture from Celtic and I think what Sevco are doing for Ricksen is great too.

Great stunt, look at how many people are now talking about this. It's in all the papers, Celtic have helped Rangers out and raised awareness for the charities.

Stop overreacting, I'm sure you'll see me join in the pointing and laughing of Sevco just as much as anyone else on this forum but at the end of the day this is about more than football.

What they are doing here for such a good lad and ex employee should be applauded as should Celtics public donation.

I hope Sunday is a success.

Archived