Fernando Ricksen

RANGERS has today confirmed it will host a tribute game at Ibrox Stadium between Rangers Legends and an All Stars team in honour of former captain Fernando Ricksen, who is attending this Saturday’s match at Ibrox as a guest of the Club.

The tribute match will take place at a date to be announced shortly.

Everyone associated with the Club was shocked to hear the sad news Fernando had been diagnosed with motor neurone disease and he remains in our thoughts as he continues to fight this cruel illness.

The 38-year-old Dutchman – who enjoyed a successful career with the Light Blues between 2000 and 2006 and famously captained Rangers to the SPL title at Easter Road on Helicopter Sunday in 2005 – revealed his condition during a TV interview in Holland and has received messages of support from the football world ever since.

The game will feature a host of footballing greats in a match that is sure to capture the imagination of the Light Blue legions.

All profits from the game will be split equally four ways between Fernando, his daughter Isabella, Motor Neurone Disease Scotland and the Rangers Charity Foundation.

Rangers Chairman David Somers commented: “Everyone associated with Rangers Football Club is thinking of Fernando at this difficult time and it will be our pleasure to host this tribute game which importantly, will also benefit the wonderful work of the Rangers Charity Foundation and MND Scotland. Our thoughts are with Fernando, his family and friends and we will look forward to welcoming Fernando to Ibrox on Saturday.”

Rangers Manager Ally McCoist commented: “We will support Fernando and his family in any way we can and are delighted to be hosting a benefit game in his honour at Ibrox Stadium.

“He enjoyed a fantastic career at Rangers, notably captaining Rangers to the title in 2005 at Easter Road, and I know our fans will turn out in huge numbers to show their support for him.”

Fernando Ricksen commented: “I want to thank everyone for the many messages of support I have received since I was diagnosed.

“The countless emails and tweets, thousands of replies, the banners and the minute’s applause on the stands at Fortuna Sittard, AZ, Rangers and Zenit St Petersburg have been fantastic.

“I also wish to thank Rangers Football Club for organising this game. My years in Glasgow were very special and I have no doubt it will be an emotional day for me when I return to Ibrox Stadium once again for such a special occasion. The support from Rangers fans has meant the world to me.”

Further details about the match will be announced in the coming weeks, including ticketing information and the team line ups.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure it will be. I don't do friendlies usually and after the Dundee v Man City game i wasn't going to go to another but these games are different. Knowing the money is going to worthwhile causes is what really matters. I ll be buying a ticket anyway.

Who thinks the board have the moral integrity to actually give the money to charity?

It will have nothing to do with the board. Do they not usually have people from the Charities running the event?

Met him last year at a night him and mols held in walkabout, a brave guy fighting that b*****d of a disease. And some of the stories the guy had were top drawer. Will attend this aswell, will no doubt be an emotional night and glad the money will go to a great cause.

I really hope this isn't a repeat of the AC Milan charity game.

To be fair -wasn't it pretty well known/transparent from the start that the bulk of that money wasn't going to go to charity?

If they're saying it's split four ways then it'll be split four ways.

Can't really remember him much as a player, tbh - vividly remember some cracking free kicks, notably one against Aberdeen, but (I'm happy to be corrected here) he was probably more of an unsung hero type in midfield. Hope they raise a good bit from the game, anyway.

I am sure it will be. I don't do friendlies usually and after the Dundee v Man City game i wasn't going to go to another but these games are different. Knowing the money is going to worthwhile causes is what really matters. I ll be buying a ticket anyway.

You do know his share is going to his ex-wife :jerry

It will have nothing to do with the board. Do they not usually have people from the Charities running the event?

Put it this way:

I think the queens park board are dodgy as hell and have exploited the whole of scottish football to get them to subsidise a top flight stadium.

I think while they were blackmailing the SFA over the new Hapmden, they were shown to be selfish p***ks with no conscience.

I'd still rather see this game played at hampden though. I suspect more would end up going to the charity as I could easily see our current board charging a premium for the use of the stadium when at worst they should do it at cost.

I assume that Sooper Dooper Salary will do the bouncy bouncy belly running ?, making the art of walking quickly look difficult only to score the only goal as per usual ?

Which he enjoyed doing frequently against your lot! Super Ally, Super Ally.....

Archived