European City Break... Where?

jayjay277

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to Florence next month with the burd. Got cheap flights to Bologna so hopefully get a day there as well. Anyone been could recommend anything out with the main touristy things. I'm a bit of a geek for old architecture so it ticks the boxes for me

Naples

:lol: I hope that's a joke!

I'm liking the love of Tours. Spent a few days there maybe eight years ago, by far my favourite place in France. Easily reachable from Paris too.

Been to Munich, Paris and Vienna for long weekends in the last year or so. Would definitely recommend all 3 but Vienna was my favourite.

Planning on heading to Venice or Florence in the near future, probably do Rome this year as well.

• 4 weeks later...
Just back from Prague. Defo recommend.

Bonny city. Lots of interesting sights and places.

Still very cheap in comparison to most Euro places.

In prague just now, very chilled cafe scene sort of vibe, and dirt cheap

Not been to Riga but heard great things. I've fancied doing all the Baltics in a week. I've been to Tallin, Tartu, Kurressare and Leizi in Estonia and would recommend each of them.

Infact balls to Riga. Go to Tartu. Tallest pub ceiling in the world

Not been to Riga but heard great things. I've fancied doing all the Baltics in a week. I've been to Tallin, Tartu, Kurressare and Leizi in Estonia and would recommend each of them.

Infact balls to Riga. Go to Tartu. Tallest pub ceiling in the world

Cheers. I'll let you know what we end up deciding on.

Anyone been to Riga? What's the nightlife like?

I've been a couple of times, but more than 6 years ago.

Nightlife was pretty decent and the women were stunning, probably the best I've seen in Europe. There's more than a few clip joints in the old town though, so be careful.

Anyone been to Riga? What's the nightlife like?

I have been twice,once with the missus and once with a mate a few years back when we backpacked through Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

I really like the place. It has plenty to do during the day (would especially recommend the Museum of Occupation) whilst the nightlife is pretty decent. Beers were pretty cheap and the local brands were good - if I remember correctly Zelta and Cesu were especially good. Try the Black Balsam spirit - it's fucking disgusting but you keep going back for more. We started most of our nights in a place called La Belle Epoque which my Latvian friend told me is considered pretty rough but the beer was cheap, staff friendly and quite international crowd.

There is a blacklist of places that are rip-offs/dodgy,most of them strip bars so if you just stick with regular establishments you'll be fine. If the weather is nice, there is a beach not far away. We also tried bobsleigh, which was class.

Away off to Prague and Budapest on Sunday (2 nights in Prague, overnight train on 3rd day, 2 nights in Budapest). Anyone got any advice on what to do and how to get the most from our money?

I have been twice,once with the missus and once with a mate a few years back when we backpacked through Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

I really like the place. It has plenty to do during the day (would especially recommend the Museum of Occupation) whilst the nightlife is pretty decent. Beers were pretty cheap and the local brands were good - if I remember correctly Zelta and Cesu were especially good. Try the Black Balsam spirit - it's fucking disgusting but you keep going back for more. We started most of our nights in a place called La Belle Epoque which my Latvian friend told me is considered pretty rough but the beer was cheap, staff friendly and quite international crowd.

There is a blacklist of places that are rip-offs/dodgy,most of them strip bars so if you just stick with regular establishments you'll be fine. If the weather is nice, there is a beach not far away. We also tried bobsleigh, which was class.

That sounds familiar, is it the wee place that's downstairs in a side street in the old town?

My favourite bar in Riga was called the Shot Cafe, right next door to the Military Museum. I also loved Hospitalis, a hospital themed bar where food was served up on surgical dishes and the barmaids were dressed like Rosie Dixon Night Nurse. I believe it has shut down now though.

hospitalis1%25255B2%25255D.jpg?imgmax=80

Away off to Prague and Budapest on Sunday (2 nights in Prague, overnight train on 3rd day, 2 nights in Budapest). Anyone got any advice on what to do and how to get the most from our money?

Try tank beer in Prague

http://www.prague-guide.co.uk/articles/prague-beer-tanked-up-in-the-city.html

if you eat or drink anywhere on the main tourist squares you'll pay more obviously, the Husa restaurants are quite reasonable but the traditional Czech places are cheaper

http://www.potrefena-husa.eu/en

Archived