Alex Salmond - Thank You.

Ludo*1

A consummately skilled politician, but I can't say I would refer to him as dignified?

As for Scotland's most successful ever, what about the likes of Arthur James Balfour or James Ramsay MacDonald?

The less said about Blair the better?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I for one will miss the man as FM. There was something special about having someone whose number one priority was Scotland. Not sticking to the party line like McConnell or being tied up in knots trying to balance the positions of the London parties with what he wanted to do.

He had a vision. He sold the vision and people bought in to it. Not just on independence - on renewables, on energy, on Scotland's place on the world stage. Such a transformation from the Lib-Lab coalition (remember that?)

Around 45% of the electorate voted SNP in 2011 - a similar number in Westminster would propel any party to a thumping majority government. Miliband, Cameron and the rest would love to have the kind of popular support Salmond had. He leaves office on a relative high. He took support for independence from ~30% to 45%, and there is no sign as yet that this level of support will fall back.

If Scotland ever becomes independent, Salmond will have done the heavy lifting.

The fat, lying c**t had to leave office because he lost his very own referendum.

alex-salmond-in-his-car-011.jpg

Reynard, :lol:

Alex Salmond is comfortably the finest UK based politician of his generation, and has done more for Scotland than anyone I can think of. He'll be sorely missed. Can't wait for him to get in to Westminster and start riling up Tory c***s though. The SEETHE will be glorious.

The fat, lying c**t had to leave office because he lost his very own referendum.

alex-salmond-in-his-car-011.jpg

This is true and the boot/arse licking on this thread is blowing him out of proportion! He was a good FM and while I was on the fence at first he convinced me to vote yes but how can he be the best ever Scottish politician when the referendum was his career's work and it was a failure.

This is true and the boot/arse licking on this thread is blowing him out of proportion! He was a good FM and while I was on the fence at first he convinced me to vote yes but how can he be the best ever Scottish politician when the referendum was his career's work and it was a failure.

He's the best SNP politician ever and is easily the best first minister since devolution. He's also took his party from perpetual opposition to the natural party of government.

No matter whether you love him or loathe him you have to accept that he has single handedly changed Scottish politics. He took what was (as was said earlier) an opposition party to being the main party in the Scottish Parliament, also making an independence debate into a movement which is still ongoing despite a referendum defeat. A movement which will continue to shape the politics of not only Scotland, but as a consequence the UK, plus other countries who desire at least political change. Scotland is now more politically engaged than probably at any other time in its history. With the Conservatives wiped out for a generation, next target is Labour and the Lib Dems. Salmond has been in the driving seat and was the focal point for all of this, and he took on and will continue to take on an establishment which has been tainted by London-centric bias and dirty tricks. His formidable oratory skills have tore many MPs and senior journalists new ones and I sincerely hope he remains in a front line role to back up Sturgeon, who has the toughest jobs in trying to fill his shoes.

If Scotland is to gain independence Salmond will be remembered for his role in the making of history.

It's sad but modern politics are nothing to do with policies, strategies, or the ability to do the job including coping with circumstance. Salmond could have said anything during the referendum campaign and he'd still be revered. He had one aim in life and he failed.

This is one of the worst circle jerks I've seen on P&B. :lol:

Young supposed radical leftys thrashing their maggots to the man who sooked in with Murdoch, Soutar etc etc and who would have delivered cuts in corporation tax while taxing the rest of us to buggery.

Fucktards one and all.

At least he has disappeared as a horrendous failure.

Young supposed radical leftys thrashing their maggots to the man who sooked in with Murdoch, Soutar etc etc and who would have delivered cuts in corporation tax while taxing the rest of us to buggery.

Fucktards one and all.

I bet you end up as the top poster all the same.

Fucktards one and all.

Don't forget Donald trump and his dodgy deals.

Alex Salmond is by far and away the best Scottish politician of my lifetime. He put Scotland first all of the time and got right up the noses of the loopy loyal on here and across Scotland. Would love him to go back down to Westminster with a sizeable group of SNP MPs so he can properly promote Scotland's needs down there

Archived