Hartley and Neil

I don't think we'd be where we are just now if we won the league. That game at Hibs changed the team.

Hartley clearly seems to always get results against us and I think over the course of the season that won't change but I do think we'll win one of our meetings this season and I still think we'll finish above Dundee although after January it could easily all change.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any Dundee fan that tries to disregard what we've achieved this season is taking the piss. Same goes for any of our fans that try and say that Dundee didn't deserve to win the league last season. We are quite simply two of the best sides to come up in the last decade or so. Personally, I'd love to see the two of us finish in the top 6 (with us hopefully edging it) as there were many people claiming that last season's Championship was one of the poorest ever which I never believed at all.

I doubt we'll be bringing in, in January. We'll be trying to offload if anything. Been well reported that Clarkson 'stretched' our budget and then we had to bring in Schenk as we had the keeper emergency and were denied a loan of Scott Gallagher from Hearts.

Managed to offload Riley which will have allowed for manoeuvrability but I think Hartley's got a clear idea of 3-4 players he wants rid of. Even 6 months after he was gone Bomber played a big part in the squad we've currently got as he was offering big wages and extensions based on promotion to players that weren't top flight quality.

I doubt we'll be bringing in, in January. We'll be trying to offload if anything. Been well reported that Clarkson 'stretched' our budget and then we had to bring in Schenk as we had the keeper emergency and were denied a loan of Scott Gallagher from Hearts.

Managed to offload Riley which will have allowed for manoeuvrability but I think Hartley's got a clear idea of 3-4 players he wants rid of. Even 6 months after he was gone Bomber played a big part in the squad we've currently got as he was offering big wages and extensions based on promotion to players that weren't top flight quality.

I would agree with most of this but we badly need cover at centre half and I don't think our youth players are capable of the step up at the moment. Obviously Davidson can play there but I think he's one of they players on the way out especially after disgracing himself in a reserve game.

• 3 weeks later...
Tubbs, on 13 Dec 2014 - 21:26, said:

Well today was an interesting development for this thread.

Was it?

Accies fans really have collectively shot their load that hard over today's result, their head has left their bodies.

1 out of 4 whilst Hartleys been at Dundee and I can't be bothered looking up his record against Alloa. Now that he's won against him it'll be interesting to see what happens next time they meet.

I'd say Neil has done better this season if Hamilton finish in the top six. I tend not to pay much attention to other teams but I'm surprised how well Hamilton are doing and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I thought they'd struggle. I may be wrong but I don't think they made a lot of changes in the summer whereas we completely overhauled our team and we've improved massively, which just makes me wonder how Hamilton are doing well when they were second best to us last season.

I've been assuming their bottle would crash but it hasn't happened yet. I still think Hartleys the better manager and I wouldn't swap him for Neil or anyone else in scottish football. That may sound like a strange thing to say but I can't remember the last time there was this much optimism in a Dundee team (without ridiculous overspending) and most of that is down to the work Hartley has done. I remember at the end of last season accies fans wanted Neil gone after he lost the plot in the run up to the last day but it would be hard to imagine another manager doing better than him in the same conditions.

This wasn't supposed to sound like the patronising 'diddy team plays good football' stuff but it may come across that way :lol:

Was it?

Accies fans really have collectively shot their load that hard over today's result, their head has left their bodies.

The league table pleases me far more than a single result, to be 10 points clear of any team with far more resources is pleasing.

Of course it should be pleasing. I'm very content with my teams position. That doesn't stop you being far too excitable in the middle of December.

Thanks for contradicting yourself. Or perhaps you could point to something that actually suggests over excitement.

Just saw this thread pop up after making a relevant post on the Dundee forum so I'll sum up what I said.

I don't think the Hamilton or the Neil V Hartley comparisons are really relevant in determining anything.

Gordon, Hendrie, Devlin, Gillespie, Crawford, Longridge and Ryan are all 23 and younger and then you add Canning and Neil in there who have guided them through the last few seasons and you see that they actually have a pretty valuable squad, much more so than the one Hartley inherited when he took over in February. Hamilton had a group of guys who had worked their socks off to remain a competitive second tier side, we had shit journeymen thrown together while we hoped for the best. The board have had a lot of patience in Alex Neil and seem to have let him make experienced additions to his young side whenever they could and it's obviously paid off quite a bit.

In the summer, we had Wighton, Kerr and Boyle as our young performers and no other real assets. While the three of them have potential, Wighton and Kerr haven't played near as much football as any of those Hamilton guys and Boyle played his first season at second tier level last season. The squad has been filled with journeymen shite that have been moved on and replaced by more journeyment shite. We are lucky enough to have produced Wighton and Kerr given our the detrimental effect administration has had on youth development.

Although Hartley has a significantly higher budget, it's a massive challenge to spend that competently but he's come up with gems in Bain, Stewart, Konrad and McGinn who will hopefully play here for a few years to come and the experience of Clarkson and McPake who have had a strong influence so far.

Both managers have faced quite different challenges and done quite well so far. Interested to see what work both managers do over the next few seasons.

You would expect that given our higher budget, we will naturally become the more dominant side but that doesn't come without long-term work and isn't an easy task.

Is that it? Stating that a thread about Neil and Hartley might be informed by a result of a match up between their teams ? :lol:

Its not as if I said we totally ran over a poor Dundee team who were completely out played and outfought; and that it clearly represented a tactical victory for Neil. Or that the 10 point gap was a total embarrassment for a team who think they are doing well under a great manager :o

Totally ran over? 4 shots on target : same as Dundee. Same amount of fouls as Dundee. 2% more possession.

All that yet remember, Dundee were awful and Hamilton were 'sensational'.

As was said, far too excitable.

I said that at half - time so the description was correct. I also admitted after the match you came into it and caused us problems. However, in the first half, we tore you a new one and you mustered one shot on target and we could and should have had more goals.

I said that at half - time so the description was correct. I also admitted after the match you came into it and caused us problems. However, in the first half, we tore you a new one and you mustered one shot on target and we could and should have had more goals.

But you didn't score more goals. And the reason was that you were poor. We were just worse.

Totally ran over? 4 shots on target : same as Dundee. Same amount of fouls as Dundee. 2% more possession.

All that yet remember, Dundee were awful and Hamilton were 'sensational'.

As was said, far too excitable.

I said ' its not as if I said........... ' and then gave an example of over excitement; but in your over excitement you missed the nuance of my point :lol:

Archived