Dundee v Celtic

Dave Coaches

It's in my opinion that it is an anti brittish song. Not sure why this would be sung at a football ground. I believe also the national anthem since it changed its word in 1998 has came under a lot of bother regarding the lyrics rather than the original in 1922.

But you new this already and again it's only my view.

i JUST checked the full lyrics to that song as most of the lyrics of it I knew of are clearly NOT anti British as the worst line in the song being "no more shall it shelter the despot or the slave" which you know I THINK are good things are not specifically saying the despot has to be a certain thing however my search did reveal 2 lines I did not know of and which I never here sung at Parkhead "

"Out yonder waits the Saxon foe" Which yeah is fairly racially specific and could just about be seen as bad enough to be anti British, though its not calling them subhuman or anything hitler esque. I am not convinced the rest of the song is anti British but is more about Ireland remaining free, none the less like all national anthems (or at least many) its is militaristic trash that just has a cute tune and the odd nice bit of emotive poetry. Surely you don't find the concept of a nation (the south of Ireland) freeing itself from what it perceived as oppression (rightly or wrongly) as offensive or the idea that people shouldn't be slaves, surely that line doesn't offend you? If the last line about saxon foe is left out the song is fine bar the fact I HATE nationalism. Kind of wish they would keep the tune but scrap 90% of the words to make it less about the bloody military... many nations need to do that pronto! War is not cool!

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then if not a reaction then what for?

Also why sing the national anthem of another country?

Maybe their grandad was Irish, so took it to the game, and it was passed on like that. I dont really see people should have a problem with a non irish person waving it because their great grandad did and it was just passed on, its not a problem in america for 10th generation Italians who dont know where pizza was invented to call themselves Italian and wave Italian flags at a baseball game of a club with a large italian heritage. I see slightly more of an issue with the singing of the National Anthem of Ireland if your not 1st or 2nd generation Irish than the use of flags which is just a tradition which initially started just so Irish people living in Scotland could remember their kinsmen.

Celtic was founded by Irish people so its in memory of our heritage. I would still like a few more Saltires and even the occasional blue white and green UJ (to represent, Britain, Ireland (because our club was founded by Irish we are just remembering how our club started nothing sinister or to do with norn iron) and of course Scotland!) A song that I do find distasteful unlike the one line in the soldier song (though I dont really like the theme of soldier song either or any militaristic song) is actually Roll of Honour simply because that, unlike Sinna Finna Foil is clearly political and is talking about an organization that blew up lets not forget, many innocent Catholics as well as innocent atheists let alone the occasional targeting of ulster Scots people deliberately (ethnic based attacks are even more mindless than just regular terror attacks). The line "England your a monster" is also kind of offensive too given many of us have English families.

Not really. Our performances and results have been up and down all season. A not unexpected 2-0 defeat in the cup against Celtic isn't going to affect his reputation in the slightest.

Tommy Wright after today however...

Seriously though you seem a basicly not biggoted guy but I find it odd your comparison of Belgium flags for Dundee fans and Irish flags for Celtic Fans, there was mass immigration from Ireland and the flags where waved originally by Irish people and it was passed onto their descendents and so it has continued, if your dad waved an Ireland flag and his dad did, and their reason was simply that their dad did and they were remembering the heritage of the club and their ancestory what's wrong with that? Look one day their will be another club like Celtic, maybe their will be mass indian Immigration and they will want a club primarily to celebrate their Indian heritage would you get so worked up about them wearing the Indian flag 100 years after the fact of them actually being Indian because it had been passed on farther to son? But I suspect the time such an event occurs we will both be very dead.... Heck a nuclear war might have even killed off most of us all and all that was left was scavenger people back to like the pre 2nd century levels of tech and societal development....

EVERYONE should care because they keep dragging us 5 centuries into the fucking past! Jesus!

Wait can you count? This is only 2015, Celtic where founded in 1888 by Irish people hence Irish Flags to begin with which where passed on in a father to son manner, if we assume that average life span is 60 years that makes 2008 (1888 +60+60) before the majority of people at Celtic park where not actually born In Ireland or had an Irish Dad (2 generations) meaning we are been driven at minimal only 7 years into the past by people remembering a time most people at Celtic Park where born in Ireland or had an Irish Dad and only 137 years since the Formation of Celtic so waving Irish flags or Union flags in manner that is passed on father to son can hardly be classified as dragging us 5 centuaries into the past, its not even 2 at max yet, or only 7 years at min.

I find it bonkers and it shouldn't happen, it's wrong for a football club(or indeed any sports club) to represent anything other than the community it's from, and whilst 100 years ago the east end of Glasgow had a high Irish immigrant population it wasn't exclusively such and certainly isn't now. For a club from that area to have an Irish identity is wrong.

To use the excuse that it was set up for and by Irish immigrants is poor, my club for example was set up due to a mass disagreement with the cricket club who enforced a ruling all members must be part of the cricket club to play for the football side. But we don't have a cricket hating identity.

the east end still has a high percentage of people with Irish Ancestory though so it is representing the community its from, though I agree we also need some polish flags as a lot of polish people are coming to all parts of glasgow. We don't start telling people of Indian descent who are 3rd or 4th generation that they cant speak punjabi or wave their flag of their parents do we? Maybe its because visually White Irish people who are now very mixed with anglos, saxons, lowland and highland Scots that those with Irish ancestory now look indistinguishable from the general population you feel remembering their ancestory is somehow phony? Whereas people with mixed race rather than mixed ethnicity often look still visually different and so you would allow them to be proud of their ancestory because you feel they are different from you? How about seeing no one as different from you but that each person is entitled to celebrate their ancestory? Now If I bring in an England flag to parkhead to celebrate mine, I just hope they are as accomadting to that flag as to the portugese flag, the saltire and the Irish flag I will also be brining in for similar reason!

Seriously though you seem a basicly not biggoted guy but I find it odd your comparison of Belgium flags for Dundee fans and Irish flags for Celtic Fans, there was mass immigration from Ireland and the flags where waved originally by Irish people and it was passed onto their descendents and so it has continued, if your dad waved an Ireland flag and his dad did, and their reason was simply that their dad did and they were remembering the heritage of the club and their ancestory what's wrong with that? Look one day their will be another club like Celtic, maybe their will be mass indian Immigration and they will want a club primarily to celebrate their Indian heritage would you get so worked up about them wearing the Indian flag 100 years after the fact of them actually being Indian because it had been passed on farther to son? But I suspect the time such an event occurs we will both be very dead.... Heck a nuclear war might have even killed off most of us all and all that was left was scavenger people back to like the pre 2nd century levels of tech and societal development....

What was the "Irish" flag when this mass immigration of Irish people took place?

Wait can you count? This is only 2015, Celtic where founded in 1888 by Irish people hence Irish Flags to begin with which where passed on in a father to son manner, if we assume that average life span is 60 years that makes 2008 (1888 +60+60) before the majority of people at Celtic park where not actually born In Ireland or had an Irish Dad (2 generations) meaning we are been driven at minimal only 7 years into the past by people remembering a time most people at Celtic Park where born in Ireland or had an Irish Dad and only 137 years since the Formation of Celtic so waving Irish flags or Union flags in manner that is passed on father to son can hardly be classified as dragging us 5 centuaries into the past, its not even 2 at max yet, or only 7 years at min.

So Celtic's attendances in 1888 consisted of new born babes, fresh off the boat from Ireland, clutching "Irish" flags? Impressive.

Archived