Dundee v Celtic

Dave Coaches

I had the misfortune to be on a train to Glasgow after the last United Celtic game. The Celtic fans sang the Lee Rigby all the way to Glasgow - every single one of them. If it's not out of support for IS why do you sing it?

So every Celtic fan on the train sang the Lee Rigby song for two hours straight? :rolleyes: Like I said I wouldn't be surprised if there were those who would sing such a song, but after the Brentford game I believe it was, where it was all supposed to have started, apart from rants and raves, it just seemed to grow arms and legs.

I don't sing it, nor have I heard other Celtic fans sing it. I am not really sure how you got here from me saying about Celtic fans and Palestine flags. Unless, like the question you never answered, you are under the impression if a person shows support for the Palestine people it's one and the same as supporting Islamic fundamentalists.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of interest how is Leigh the Dee rated by the Celtic fans. Has he had a fair crack of the whip? He may not be actual champions league quality but when did Celtic last have a striker that good? He seems pretty decent to me.

Well if you make statement about hearing "vile and bigoted songs" I would at least expect this to be backed up with the names or lyrics.

I suspected most people here anything Irish related being sung from celtic fans and automatically assume it is bigoted or vile.

So references about the IRA are acceptable?

Did I say that?

Of course not. What a ridiculous question to ask.

I said I didn't know the name of the songs but I heard IRA chanted in a couple and you were telling me to name the songs?

Probably a reaction to the banned billy boys sung from the lovable Dundee characters..

Do you mean Rangers supporting Dundonians from last weeks Derby? Because Dundee fans have never, ever sung the song you refer to.

Probably a reaction to the banned billy boys sung from the lovable Dundee characters..

See the thing about that is there is a difference to what we sing and the billy boys song? Lyrics are changed to make it inoffensive. It's this attitude that confuses me, you try pass the blame for references to the IRA on a reaction of songs from other fans even though it is chanted week in week out at celtic games?

What most will hear is the billy boys tune and react. Id like never to hear the "RA" mentioned again at Celtic games but pissed up dicks will be pissed up dicks at the football. Anyway I have READ more offensive things posted on here than a few chants of "up the RA".. :rolleyes:

Aye that's fair enough in a sense, I'm just confused as to why people are trying to make excuses for the reasons of pro ira songs. I agree that there are more offensive things said here or there but are usually done by singular or very small minority of idiots but you have to admit when it comes to "banned and offensive chants" (not just celtic btw) there seem to be more than people are making out.

I find nothing worse or more cringe worthy than hearing the RA mentioned in songs especially if its on sky or whatever(insert joke about never attending Celtic games). Unfortunately some will argue that these RA songs are just part of the Irish history that is connected to the club or its the old RA etc etc..Others probs just sing it to annoy the f**k out of opposition fans who have been shouting abuse at them..

I understand that you find it cringeworthy and you don't like it etc but to me it feels like you're trying to find a way that - it may not be acceptable but people are going to sing it anyway cause they always have due to history.

But if you look at it from smaller clubs points of view it pisses us off to see Celtic and The Rangers continuously get away singing these banned songs with no punishment being delivered yet smaller teams fans get done for the littlest of things.

Take today as an example, pro ira songs chanted, smoke bombs let off etc - nothing gets done yet in the Derry a couple of wee fanny's hold up a UJ (nothing wrong with it even if I don't like it) and there taking it off them without reason.

I didn't and I cant state this more clearly.... I find it under no circumstances acceptable to sing pro IRA songs at or around football stadiums. I would like nothing more than these songs to be totally eradicated. Offensive songs not really bothered but where do we draw the line? Football fans have become so soft and pretty much offended at everything of late its hard to know.

I don't agree with the UJ been taken but I can understand why.

I probably worded that a little wrong, I'm not meaning to say you find it acceptable, I'm smart enough to realise that you've said in every post that you don't find it acceptable.

I wish Rangers and Celtic fans took Scotland flags to games but doubt I'll ever see that.

I've seen the saltire in Rangers/Celtics supports many times.

What we need is to ban all national flags over the size of say 3cm by 3cm, so no matter the designation of the flag the bearer looks like a fucking tool.

Do you mean Rangers supporting Dundonians from last weeks Derby? Because Dundee fans have never, ever sung the song you refer to.

Yes, it's the Dundee Derry Boys that the Dundee support sing about isn't it? Do Dundee fans stick to the nonsense of how the name came about thanks to a dairy being near the stand or are they willing to hold their hands up and admit they are still using a term than came about from a time when Dundee fans were singing one or two questionable songs shall we say?

Yes, it's the Dundee Derry Boys that the Dundee support sing about isn't it? Do Dundee fans stick to the nonsense of how the name came about thanks to a dairy being near the stand or are they willing to hold their hands up and admit they are still using a term than came about from a time when Dundee fans were singing one or two questionable songs shall we say?

I've no idea how the Derry got its name but if you think Dundee fans give any kind of fucks about Catholics/prods/Ulster/King Billy you're sadly mistaken.

The same can definitely not be said about the piss-soaked gadgie minks from Lochee that support your mob.

I've no idea how the Derry got its name but if you think Dundee fans give any kind of fucks about Catholics/prods/Ulster/King Billy you're sadly mistaken.

The same can definitely not be said about the piss-soaked gadgie minks from Lochee that support your mob.

The Derry came about the same way that the rangers fans use the term 'Derry'. There was a time when Dundee fans would sing some rather naughty songs.

I

The lack of sectarianism in Dundee is definitely a noticeable and positive feature.

As part of our history course we teach the issue of irish immigration in to Scotland and so cover the background to sectarianism. Virtually no kids here have heard of King billy or any of the baggage that goes along with it. Teaching in Paisley was a different matter. I'd suddenly find that half the class were academic experts in 17th century scortish-irish relations.

Archived