Dundee v Celtic

Dave Coaches

Except a Dundee fan would be waving the flag of his, and Celtic's, own country. The Celtic fan with the Irish flag would be waving the flag of a foreign country.

This is probably where the term, plastic Paddys derives.

It may be the flag of his own country, but if he is only bringing it along to try and get some form of reaction, he is a nugget, regardless of which flag he is waving.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may be the flag of his own country, but if he is only bringing it along to try and get some form of reaction, he is a nugget, regardless of which flag he is waving.

Why do Celtic fans bring Ireland flags, scarves and shirts to the game?

Those being the many thousands rather than a small section. Why does the majority of your fans wear anything to do with Republic of Ireland? Reaction?

Not every Celtic fan who brings along an Irish tri-colour is doing it for the reaction though are they? Just like not every Dundee fan who had a Union flag would be looking for a reaction. I thought this would be fair simple to understand but I guess not, so let me try break it down a bit for you.

I will use you as an example. You go to every Dundee game with a Union flag, you do it because you've always done it, it's the flag of your country and it's part of your football dress. No problem.

You go to every Dundee game without the flag except games against Celtic, then you are a nugget looking to be noticed.

Then if not a reaction then what for?

Also why sing the national anthem of another country?

Some of them will be Irish. Others will be doing it for their Irish heritage. Others will be because, rightly or wrongly the Irish tricolour is seen as "Celtic colours" in this country. Then we have those who will do it for bigoted reasons.

Not every Celtic fan who brings along an Irish tri-colour is doing it for the reaction though are they? Just like not every Dundee fan who had a Union flag would be looking for a reaction. I thought this would be fair simple to understand but I guess not, so let me try break it down a bit for you.

I will use you as an example. You go to every Dundee game with a Union flag, you do it because you've always done it, it's the flag of your country and it's part of your football dress. No problem.

You go to every Dundee game without the flag except games against Celtic, then you are a nugget looking to be noticed.

Why do a sizeable chunk of the Celtic support sing songs and wear attire in support of a foreign country? Does that not strike you as very weird?

If my fellow Dees were singing songs about Belgium, wearing Belgian shirts and singing songs about Belgium week in, week out, I would get pissed off very quickly.

If a Dundee fan brings a flag of his OWN COUNTRY to get a reaction out of the opposition then I think that says more about the opposition.

Why do many thousands of your fans that do? Or your gonna tell me you don't no any who do

Have you tried asking them why they sing it? The Soldiers Song will be along the reasoning I just listed for why some Celtic fans wave Irish fags.

Why do a sizeable chunk of the Celtic support sing songs and wear attire in support of a foreign country? Does that not strike you as very weird?

If my fellow Dees were singing songs about Belgium, wearing Belgian shirts and singing songs about Belgium week in, week out, I would get pissed off very quickly.

If a Dundee fan brings a flag of his OWN COUNTRY to get a reaction out of the opposition then I think that says more about the opposition.

If you are going to be silly and compare Dundee/Belgium to Celtic/Ireland then, well, you're not doing too well.

Ah, the great flag debate. Doesnt bother me in the slightest that Celtic fans decide to wave tricolours at the game and the same goes for Union flags.

Quick question though, what's the script with the Palestinian flag that I spotted in your end today?

Ah, the great flag debate. Doesnt bother me in the slightest that Celtic fans decide to wave tricolours at the game and the same goes for Union flags.

Quick question though, what's the script with the Palestinian flag that I spotted in your end today?

Sections of the Celtic support have this Palestinian/Irish two countries, one struggle mentality. You'll see the occasional Basque flag too.

Sections of the Celtic support have this Palestinian/Irish two countries, one struggle mentality. You'll see the occasional Basque flag too.

Thought so. Cheers. I find the whole thing a bit bizarre mind.

A rare display of common sense from vikingTON there. He's right. Right as f**k.

Not really. Our performances and results have been up and down all season. A not unexpected 2-0 defeat in the cup against Celtic isn't going to affect his reputation in the slightest.

Tommy Wright after today however...

I really have no problem with Celtic fans flying tricolours due to the fact that the club was set up for Irish immigrants and a load of their fanbase cherish their Irish ancestry. No sensible person could surely deny them that?!

I despise the IRA pish obviously along with their hatred of the British army. In fact, I really wish their fans could separate following a Glasgow based football club and the 'troubles' in Ireland.

Also, I wish Dundee fans would ditch the UJ flags. My reason for saying this is is because I don't believe the flag is unveiled for any other reason than to wind folk up. I'm sure the vast majority of Dundee fans would rather see Saltires and Rampant Lions flown instead.

Hope you all don't mind my twopence worth but Celts 67 seems a reasonable guy with reasonable arguments whilst that other clown who's trying to deny that Celtic fans were singing the up the ra song seems a bit of a, well, clown!

Archived