Views on Russia

RUTH58

Hello,

I am a PhD student at the University of Glasgow, researching Russian migration to Scotland. One part of the project involves looking at the way Russia is represented in Scottish/British media, as well as Scottish public opinion towards Russia. I am currently carrying out a questionnaire with people who live in Aberdeenshire, Ayrshire, Glasgow and Edinburgh, to find out their opinions and views towards Russia and Russian people.

If you live in any of these areas, are over the age of 18, and have a spare 5 minutes, I would be very grateful if you could complete the questionnaire. I am really keen to hear from people who are engaged with and interested in politics/current affairs, so would be very pleased to receive responses from people who use this forum. You do not need to give your name, so responses are completely anonymous. Thank you very much :)

Ruth

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only two Russians I knew were a bloke that worked for my mate and his sister than my mate was banging. The bloke had been in the Russian navy and was a machine. He did labouring jobs and his lunch consisted of two rotisserie chickens from Morrisons that he ate, bones and all. His day off consisted of a six mile run to the mouth of the river Doon where he would swim a few miles upstream and lift logs he had chained into makeshift weights. Hed then swim back down to the sea and run home. Not bad for a 40 year old.

They both moved to England because they didn't like it here.

The only two Russians I knew were a bloke that worked for my mate and his sister than my mate was banging. The bloke had been in the Russian navy and was a machine. He did labouring jobs and his lunch consisted of two rotisserie chickens from Morrisons that he ate, bones and all. His day off consisted of a six mile run to the mouth of the river Doon where he would swim a few miles upstream and lift logs he had chained into makeshift weights. Hed then swim back down to the sea and run home. Not bad for a 40 year old.

Sounds like a stable, dedicated guy. Daily Mail would hate him because he wasn't born in England though. This is how they'd portray him:

4-putin-riding-a-bear.jpghttp%3A%2F%2Fhss-prod.hss.aol.com%2Fhss%

There's a Muscovite who frequents my gym who is a class act. Slots every available weight plate on the 7ft Olympic bar and squats like a beast, with no faux-masculine wailing or anything.

Realise I may be contributing here to a stereotype of Russians being proficient weight-lifters.

...then he fought Rocky. Rocky battered him.

Views on Russia: Pretty Corrupt, likes a scrap, nearly as scary as the USA. Putin is still a better leader than 'call me Dave' or Mr Millibean.

No wonder they are sending planes and subs. I if saw that was the best leaders we could find, I'd be thinking of invading too. Ruth knew.

RT > BBC

Whenever I flick on the TV. RT and Al Jazeera would be the only news channels I'd watch, and I'm well aware that RT isn't going to criticize Putin or the Kremlin in any meaningful way. Then again, if I was living in Russia I would probably prefer watching BBC for much the same reasons.

Hard to hate Russia/Russians, unless you're a shitdick.

Or you live in a country bordering it I guess.

Only really spoke to them online but got on really well with all of them and think it's a pretty cool country with people I seem to get on a lot better with than those from here. Honestly though I generally fucking hate the people here and get on with pretty much everyone better. Maybe just that people online there are generally of a slightly better class than the average person.

Arguably the best national anthem in the world too, close contender with Japan.

Hard to hate Russia/Russians, unless you're a shitdick.

Or you live in a country bordering it I guess.

Only really spoke to them online but got on really well with all of them and think it's a pretty cool country with people I seem to get on a lot better with than those from here. Honestly though I generally fucking hate the people here and get on with pretty much everyone better. Maybe just that people online there are generally of a slightly better class than the average person.

Arguably the best national anthem in the world too, close contender with Japan.

Both kicked in the arse by a tune that makes the hairs on our neck stand up.

Never been to the Millenium or the arms park?

Archived