Question Time

Elixir

Whataboutery...

Do you agree that 16 and 17 year old should need to get parental permission to vote? If not then why does the SNP insist that they should need permission to avoid having to listen to sky fairy talk at school?

You made a long winded post about my posts and how you ignore them. If you could keep doing that we'll both be happy.

I don't believe sky fairy nonsense should be in our schools at all.
If you want brain washed in that go to church.

This was car crash TV - McDonnell came across as an ass, Soubry (after a good start) when balls out crazy, and Letts was like a parody of a Victorian Tory.

The most appalling moment, though, was Dimbleby's "you're a Marxist! You claimed to be a MARXIST!" attack, and the subsequent jeering of the audience, was like something out of the original Manchurian Candidate, or Trumbo. It really was like an unsettling coming to life of the 1960s American Communist witch hunts. What's genuinely worrying is that it was the BBC's flagship weekly politics show - and it was the presenter leading the charge against the evil reds.

First post I've read you've ever made that didn't involve accusations of "regionalists"....

12 minutes ago, mjw said:

You made a long winded post about my posts and how you ignore them. If you could keep doing that we'll both be happy.

I don't believe sky fairy nonsense should be in our schools at all.
If you want brain washed in that go to church.

Nah. I've changed my mind thanks.

This was car crash TV - McDonnell came across as an ass, Soubry (after a good start) when balls out crazy, and Letts was like a parody of a Victorian Tory.

The most appalling moment, though, was Dimbleby's "you're a Marxist! You claimed to be a MARXIST!" attack, and the subsequent jeering of the audience, was like something out of the original Manchurian Candidate, or Trumbo. It really was like an unsettling coming to life of the 1960s American Communist witch hunts. What's genuinely worrying is that it was the BBC's flagship weekly politics show - and it was the presenter leading the charge against the evil reds.

What a load of shit. McDonnell said it. He was filmed saying he was a Marxist. He was sitting there trying to take the moral highground about 'straight talking, honest politics', then tried to sweep a comment he made under the carpet. He should have either admitted it and argued for it because he said it, or admitted it and explained why he now doesn't believe in it. What happened was McDonnell trying to ignore it and make a joke out of it. The presenter had every right to go for him on it. Dimbleby and others do similar whenever they come across bullshiter politicians. McDonnell has a habit of this. He says something that he really believes, for example about being happy to split the party 'if that's what it takes', then a soft denial or a joke.

What a load of shit. McDonnell said it. He was filmed saying he was a Marxist. He was sitting there trying to take the moral highground about 'straight talking, honest politics', then tried to sweep a comment he made under the carpet. He should have either admitted it and argued for it because he said it, or admitted it and explained why he now doesn't believe in it. What happened was McDonnell trying to ignore it and make a joke out of it. The presenter had every right to go for him on it. Dimbleby and others do similar whenever they come across bullshiter politicians. McDonnell has a habit of this. He says something that he really believes, for example about being happy to split the party 'if that's what it takes', then a soft denial or a joke.

What McDonnell did was attempt to provide context for his comment while being constantly interrupted by Dimbleby, who appears to have forgotten his role as Chair requires impartiality while maintaining order.

What McDonnell did was attempt to provide context for his comment while being constantly interrupted by Dimbleby, who appears to have forgotten his role as Chair requires impartiality while maintaining order.

"Look, I'm straight and honest with people, I'm a Marxist." Maybe he could explain why he's a Marxist, giving some examples why, or why he isn't a Marxist and the comment was a mistake. He did neither and tried to fudge the issue because the comment doesn't suit him anymore. It's all the more laughable when his supporters jump on the 'negotiate with ISIS' line from Smith when there is actually context provided for the comment.

1 hour ago, BerwickMad said:

I think my post went over your head (as most things do). I wasn't claiming McDonnell had never claimed to be a Marxist or hold Marxist views. I was registering distaste at an "impartial" BBC presenter castigating him for beliefs he might have once held as though he, Dimbleby, was a McCarthyite witch hunter. McDonnell should have stood his ground and admitted he had Marxist views. His pathetic handling of Dimbleby and the audience's Cold War approach only helped legitimate it. So what if he is anti-capitalist?Despite what Dimbleby and the audience seemed to think, it's not a crime and it's not the BBC's job to uncover and demonise the pesky and invidious reds.

The whole thing was deeply sinister. It looked like the BBC and its man had taken it upon themselves to decide what are and are not acceptable political beliefs, and hound those who held/hold them.

We see this kind of thing throughout history: the state and its loyal servants make a folk devil out of beliefs they deem hostile and go after those who hold them. Watching the other night the message seemed to be "Marxists = bad, and those in our midst must be exposed and jeered".

Edited by Antlion

49 minutes ago, BerwickMad said:

"Look, I'm straight and honest with people, I'm a Marxist." Maybe he could explain why he's a Marxist, giving some examples why, or why he isn't a Marxist and the comment was a mistake. He did neither and tried to fudge the issue because the comment doesn't suit him anymore. It's all the more laughable when his supporters jump on the 'negotiate with ISIS' line from Smith when there is actually context provided for the comment.

I don't think anyone is trying to defend how poorly McDonnell handled the attack. But that doesn't mean it was Dimbleby's job to provide it. Again, it's not an impartial chair's job to hunt and expose the damned commies.

2 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

First post I've read you've ever made that didn't involve accusations of "regionalists"....

And that's the first of yours I've read which wasn't an attack on the SNP (damned nationalists, eh? Imagining wanting Scotland to be a state!).

I see you've made up for the lapse with a whole new thread predicated on attacking the Scottish government, though. Welcome back, honey.

What happened to not being interested in the past and only looking forward? Or does that only apply when it is someone you agree with that is having their past questioned?

We see this kind of thing throughout history: the state and its loyal servants make a folk devil out of beliefs they deem hostile and go after those who hold them. Watching the other night the message seemed to be "Marxists = bad, and those in our midst must be exposed and jeered".

Were you similarly outraged when Nick Griffin was subject to the same thing?

What happened to not being interested in the past and only looking forward? Or does that only apply when it is someone you agree with that is having their past questioned?

However my point isn't really about what he believes, it's about the way he addressed the questions on it on Thursday night. Especially considering the campaign he's running is supposed to be about straight talking, honest politics.

On 17/09/2016 at 19:55, mjw said:

Nick Griffin going on QT was the beggining of the end for the BNP.
For that everyone who jeered him should be immensely proud.

Aye, it worked so well that the BBC went on to try the same trick with his successor for a good four years or so, in the process managing to completely mainstream the majority of the fascist platform.