Question Time

Elixir

Brilliant, we've got that fat smug twat on next week AGAIN!! any chance of seeing some new blood from the SNP on this borefest! QT has gone downhill rapidly over the last few years! Admittedly, he usually seems to get a decent reception down south, but it would be good to hear someone else's tune?

Brilliant, we've got that fat smug twat on next week AGAIN!! any chance of seeing some new blood from the SNP on this borefest! QT has gone downhill rapidly over the last few years! Admittedly, he usually seems to get a decent reception down south, but it would be good to hear someone else's tune?

Why? Don't unionists believe they all say the same anyway. [emoji12]

12 minutes ago, mjw said:

Pretty much.
Although you could say the same about Rob,the same raging mess in all his posts.

He's happy as Larry, mate, could not be happier. Raises the Union Jack and salutes it every day, has a photo of Churchill standing in front of the Palace of Westminster signed by Thatcher AND Blair on the nightstand. Absolutely no worries about any threats to the glory of the UK. None. No cracks whatsoever. SCOTLAND COMMITTED ITSELF TO THE UK STATE IN 2014 WHY WON'T THE VOICES STOP

Or something. Happy though.

Yesterday an MEP ended up in hospital after a fist fight. There seems to be a new obsession in Britain with rampant populism and the Tory Party seem to be taking their influence from 1930s Germany. Diane Abbot has just been appointed Shadow Home Secretary.

It was reassuring to see a politician like Chucka Umunna on the panel. Calm, considered arguments and a sensible head. Opinions developed from facts and weighing things up, not a maniac playing up to people prejudices or someone rigidly sticking to an ideology for form their 'opinion'. The difference between Chucka and that Burgon clown last week, night and day.

If Chuka was quoting left wing policies then I never noticed any..

You'll have to get to know jmo a bit better. When you understand what he means by "left wing", things should be clearer.
Imho, Ummuna was simply treating that appearance as an initial interview for the job which he bottled out of last year. Another self serving hangover from what jmo and his ilk see as the Golden Years.

You'll have to get to know jmo a bit better. When you understand what he means by "left wing", things should be clearer.
Imho, Ummuna was simply treating that appearance as an initial interview for the job which he bottled out of last year. Another self serving hangover from what jmo and his ilk see as the Golden Years.

Yes weirdly enough I would consider when we were actually in power to be the Golden Years.

If Chuka was quoting left wing policies then I never noticed any..

He spoke in favour of immigration, attacked the Tories on Amber Rudd's 'name and shame foreigners' proposal, attacked their record for working people, attacked UKIPs xenophobia, passionately rubbished the notion we should work with Assad and defended western interventionism against dictators and fascists. He gave the answers a left-wing person should give to those topics. When combined with his support for our remaining in the common market for the sake of working people and his sustained opposition and campaigning against zero hour contracts I feel he is articulating exactly the sort of left-leaning views we need to hear more of from the Labour Party.

He spoke in favour of immigration, attacked the Tories on Amber Rudd's 'name and shame foreigners' proposal, attacked their record for working people, attacked UKIPs xenophobia, passionately rubbished the notion we should work with Assad and defended western interventionism against dictators and fascists. He gave the answers a left-wing person should give to those topics. When combined with his support for our remaining in the common market for the sake of working people and his sustained opposition and campaigning against zero hour contracts I feel he is articulating exactly the sort of left-leaning views we need to hear more of from the Labour Party.

Not many left wing policies in that list. Your average person would just consider most of these to be populist posturing rather than policies.

Of course you're talking complete sense. But who needs sense when you can simply protest and throw abuse like you're in a football stand? Who needs considered argument and sensible solution, because of course the populist posturing of White Rose and his pals always works?

2 hours ago, BerwickMad said:

Of course you're talking complete sense. But who needs sense when you can simply protest and throw abuse like you're in a football stand? Who needs considered argument and sensible solution, because of course the populist posturing of White Rose and his pals always works?

I didn't watch it myself but if you're telling me Umunna offered a "solution" to each of those issues, I'll definitely have to watch it on iPlayer.

I did watch Keir Starmer on Marr (rightly) complain about the sort of language being used but fail to really disagree with any Tory policy.

Incorporating a wee phrasebook of nice words into every other sentence (sensible, moderate, considered, centre-ground, "we need to have a look at") without ever actually saying anything would be my idea of posturing. That's what the New Labour types seem to exist to do at the moment.