Question Time

Elixir

Thing that put me off was the idea of having to do marking, admin work and preparing lessons for the next day, at home after a full day's teaching. f**k that for a few more weeks holiday.

Someone I know who teaches reckons he’s done his hours by Wednesday. It’s much more demanding from my own experience than people are willing to acknowledge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27087942

article on the BBC from 2014 on working hours from teachers which I doubt has changed too much.

"So how long is the working week?

For secondary head teachers, it stretches to an average of 63.3 hours per week - the longest of any of the teaching jobs. Primary classroom teachers worked longer hours - 59.3 hours - than their secondary school counterparts, who worked for 55.7 hours per week. The hours in a secondary academy were slightly less, at 55.2 hours."

These numbers could be inflated by mainly recording newly qualified teachers which likely have to spend more time planning and are less efficient than experienced teachers but on the whole I think their holidays probably balances out their work during term time. I also think a number of people would find the job fairly unbearable.

How many people really stop working when they go home from their job? Most people continue to work by needing to do things to prepare for their work, hours in which they don't get paid for. Teachers are not unique in this regard.

2 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

How many people really stop working when they go home from their job? Most people continue to work by needing to do things to prepare for their work, hours in which they don't get paid for. Teachers are not unique in this regard.

No they don't.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

No they don't.

Yes they do. All the time it takes to prepare for work and get to work adds up, but most people don't get paid for preparing and getting to work, even although it eats into their personal time.

1 minute ago, BawWatchin said:

Yes they do. All the time it takes to prepare for work and get to work adds up, but most people don't get paid for preparing and getting to work, even although it eats into their personal time.

Getting to and from work, aye.

I thought you meant doing shit at home after work.

30 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

What, like doing the laundry and getting dressed in the morning?

37 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What, like doing the laundry and getting dressed in the morning?

How about taking time to plan out your next working day? Driving to and from work, which costs you rather than pays you.  Yes, making sure your work suit is up to a professional standard also takes up time. You may even find yourself needing to go into work early each morning to make sure things are properly prepped before actually starting, which again, you're not paid for.

Teacher's seem to think that they're some sort of special exception where there should be nothing left for them to do beyond the classroom.

Edited by BawWatchin

2 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

How about taking time to plan out your next working day? Driving to and from work, which costs you rather than pays you.  Yes, making sure your work suit is up to a professional standard also takes up time. You may even find yourself needing to go into work early each morning to make sure things are properly prepped before actually starting, which again, you're not paid for.

Teacher's seem to think that they're some sort of special exception where their should be nothing left for them to do beyond the classroom.

Teachers have to do all that on top of marking, lesson plans and all the bureaucratic stuff, especially in the early years. Did you not get on with your teachers? 

There's more folk in crappy jobs like call centres, shitey basic admin, retail and similar (that require zero thought or planning once you've left and require none until you return the next day) than there in folk in jobs who actually need to do some sort of preparation.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

There's more folk in crappy jobs like call centres, shitey basic admin, retail and similar (that require zero thought or planning once you've left and require none until you return the next day) than there in folk in jobs who actually need to do some sort of preparation.

I'd hate a job where any time outside the hours wasn't totally my own. Thought about teaching and did a TEFL course but quickly realised I wasn't cut out for it. I guess you can blag it eventually but the lesson planning took me all the spare time I had. f**k that.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I'd hate a job where any time outside the hours wasn't totally my own. Thought about teaching and did a TEFL course but quickly realised I wasn't cut out for it. I guess you can blag it eventually but the lesson planning took me all the spare time I had. f**k that.

Likewise. I also think only utter mugs do regular unpaid work

Edited by DA Baracus

Same here. It was far too much stress in the short-medium term for the vague hope it became second nature down the line. I was a husk after a month of teaching.

Aye, but teachers do all that and do marking and prepare lessons. I feel they do get put upon. I’m amazed they put up with it.