Dundee United v Celtic - Sunday 21st December

Didn't get along today so watched it courtesy of BT. Hard to believe it was largely the same team as played Aberdeen.

Whilst we rode our luck I think the victory was deserved. Spittal was a bit quiet and Rankine was a wee bit frustrating at times, other than that I thought we were excellent. Morris, Dillon and Butcher all very good and has already been said we saw both sides of Ciftci including a great goal and a great assist.

We will now enter two difficult ties against local opposition in second place and in a very positive frame of mind surely.

Credit to Ronny Deila, in both the BT Sports and the Radio Scotland interview he played down the disallowed offside goal; his predecessor would have been screaming and spitting about it at the time and for days to come.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the script with the boy Butcher? Has McNamara repositioned him in midfield, similar to what he did with Paton? He looked bog ordinary whenever I've watched him at centre half so have been surprised to see him reemerge in the first team in recent weeks.

We saw his full repertoire today:

A needles booking - check

A goal - check

An assist - check

Ignoring team mates in better positions - check

Arguing with officials - check, check and check

Just when I think i've had enough of him he goes and plays like he did today and I go and fall in love with him all over again :wub:

You forgot the bit when he stopped and appealed for a throw-in while Izaguirre sailed right past him. Classic Nadir.

Effe gets a bad rap, Matthews was fucking horrible but he ghosts through games.

I think Ambrose is sometimes hard done to with the level of criticism he gets, but he was utterly diabolical today. For most of the game Dundee Utd were just lobbing the ball in his direction and playing off the numerous mistakes.

What's the script with the boy Butcher? Has McNamara repositioned him in midfield, similar to what he did with Paton? He looked bog ordinary whenever I've watched him at centre half so have been surprised to see him reemerge in the first team in recent weeks.

He had a chance last season at centre half but was a bit erratic and usually looked like a walking red card in every game. A few eyebrows were raised when he appeared at centre mid this season but to be fair it looks like a much more suited position for him. He certainly has the energy for it and has even had some decent moments going forward. It's good to have some genuine competition for Rankin & Paton in there.

Pretty much. Apparently Butcher had been getting onto McNamara for a while to play him in midfield rather than central defence but he was injured for the last couple of months or so of last season so it took until November for him to get a chance to show what he can do. It was as much a surprise for United fans as it was to you to see him back in the team when he first re-appeared back in November.

Most of us thought that there was something about him but he was so far down the pecking order at the start of this season that nobody really saw getting the opportunities he needed. He's done well when he's played though. Helped set up goals in the games against St. Mirren and Ross County and offers something different to Paton and Rankin. He's still flying into the kind of tackles that you'll remember from the opening game of last season but he's been generally timing them better at the moment.

If only we didnt let that 2-0 lead against St Mirren slip and that last minute goal to Celtic.......

I see Phil MacBigot is making a loose reference to Anti Irish decisions again.

Armageddon rules yet again. Today's result gets it right up Chico too who is always bringing down the league and how he thinks Celtic just need to turn up to win the treble.

Well done United.

If only we didnt let that 2-0 lead against St Mirren slip and that last minute goal to Celtic.......

I see Phil MacBigot is making a loose reference to Anti Irish decisions again.

Armageddon rules yet again. Today's result gets it right up Chico too who is always bringing down the league and how he thinks Celtic just need to turn up to win the treble.

Well done United.

I can't stand the man, but i haven't see him made any reference it was somehow anti irish

I can't stand the man, but i haven't see him made any reference it was somehow anti irish

Me neither. But, despite the lack of interest I think he's trying very, very hard to make to it look dramatic (the poster, not Phil Mc).

Well played UTD. You were very lucky we didn't have Griffiths on earlier.

A journalist tweets about bad defending, poor finishing and bad luck costing the Victims the game....

Phil MacBigot foolows up with his usual,

"Its easy to see you havent worked a sports desk in Scotland Brian"

Then lists "honest mistakes"

No immediate references but going by his usual sentiments he obviously finds some conspiracy in todays game.

And always remember in Phils World, if you hate his beloved Celtic or say anything against them, you are Anti-Irish.

A journalist tweets about bad defending, poor finishing and bad luck costing the Victims the game....

Phil MacBigot foolows up with his usual,

"Its easy to see you havent worked a sports desk in Scotland Brian"

Then lists "honest mistakes"

No immediate references but going by his usual sentiments he obviously finds some conspiracy in todays game.

And always remember in Phils World, if you hate his beloved Celtic or say anything against them, you are Anti-Irish.

I seen the tweets, as I said though, nothing hinting about anti irish, just the usual paranoia pish

Archived