Discussion About The Reasons For Terrorism

DAFC

Despite the fact someone literally posted the perpetrators reasons for the bombing, you are apparently claiming you know better.

However (as usual) you will only slag off other peoples opinions rather than stating your own because you don't have enough self confidence.

Man up.

Aye ok Jock, what exactly am I claiming to know better than the mass murders?

Your mewling seems to indicate you seem upset that I often point out what a roaster you are. This pleases me.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye ok Jock, what exactly am I claiming to know better than the mass murders?

Your mewling seems to indicate you seem upset that I often point out what a roaster you are. This pleases me.

However (as usual) you will only slag off other peoples opinions rather than stating your own because you don't have enough self confidence.

Man up.

Oh dear. The predictability is off the scale.

Also a lot of historical factors. The Ottoman collapse in the 19th and 20th century and the shoddy way the Balkans and the Middle Eastern questions were handled probably influenced a lot of negativity towards the west.

Is this all because some ones bedroom furniture fell apart in 19oatcake?

It's worth noting that "Al-Qaeda" (for want of a better name) and Bin Laden took issue over US intervention in Kuwait. That's what their declaration of war/jihad against the West appears to have stemmed from, and that's why they started attacking US-related targets during the 1990s. Incidentally, there were even arrests made in the UK relating to jihadists (again, for want of a better name) before the Afghanistan War kicked off.

The whole thing doesn't exist in a vacuum with one root cause behind it. Western foreign policy has facilitated the growth of certain aspects of Islamic terrorism, that's not open to debate, but it isn't the sole reason behind it. You can't explain away Boko Haram, the supposed Caucasus Emirate, and other militant jihadist groups on account of America being big and bad. Try and explain away the Islamic extremism in South Thailand and other parts of Southeast Asia as "a response to the USA" - it has nothing to do with it, instead it's a group like ISIS trying ti establish a caliphate. Incidentally, one of the groups behind the Bali bombing are involved in this and you'll never guess when they kicked off their actions: 2000, well before the invasion of Afghanistan.

It's an easy narrative to go with - the West have brought this on themselves - and we've certainly not helped ourselves but it's nonsense to say Western foreign policy is the sole reason for terrorism based on Islamic extremism.

It's worth noting that "Al-Qaeda" (for want of a better name) and Bin Laden took issue over US intervention in Kuwait. That's what their declaration of war really stemmed from, and that's why they started attacking US-related targets during the 1990s. Incidentally, there were even arrests made in the UK relating to jihadists (again, for want of a better name) before the Afghanistan War kicked off.

The whole thing doesn't exist in a vacuum with one root cause behind it. Western foreign policy has facilitated the growth of certain aspects of Islamic terrorism, that's not open to debate, but it isn't the sole reason behind it. You can't explain away Boko Haram, the supposed Caucasus Emirate, and other militant jihadist groups on account of America being big and bad. Try and explain away the Islamic extremism in South Thailand and other parts of Southeast Asia as "a response to the USA" - it has nothing to do with it, instead it's a group like ISIS trying ti establish a caliphate. Incidentally, one of the groups behind the Bali bombing are involved in this and you'll never guess when they kicked off their actions: 2000, well before the invasion of Afghanistan.

It's an easy narrative to go with - the West have brought this on themselves - and we've certainly not helped ourselves but it's nonsense to say Western foreign policy is the sole reason for terrorism based on Islamic extremism.

There was plenty of Islamic terror in Europe and elsewhere in the world during the 70s and 80s too, so for the OP to write it all off as being simply a reaction to modern day Middle Eastern interventions by the West is pretty ill informed.

I could go on but other obvious problems like Israel/Palestine, Iraq, Iran, Syria, Korea and others were pretty much all created and caused by Western interference and exploitation. America and the West have interfered or exploited just about every country on the planet.

Also, this:

I'm no expert on the division of the Korean peninsula but is it really fair to lay the blame for two Koreas entirely at the feet of the West? I'm pretty sure (in fact, I'm almost certain) that the Soviet Union was involved somewhere along the line.

The west are largely to blame for terrorist activities unfortunately. Drone attacks wiping out weddings, children, innocent people etc just breed people desperate for revenge.

The over whelming bulk of the victims of Sunni extreamist violence are Muslims. Their motivation is not the West but the establishment of a form of Salafist theocracy across as much territory as they can get their hands on. They have a publically stated wish to comit genocide against Shia, Suffis and to murder any liberal Muslim and view the west as largely getting in their way. They believe they live in the times of Jahiliyyah, a time whithout laws.

This brand of extreamism comes from Saudi Arabia that funds it around the world.

Western actions exacibate this situation. But the blame for the tens of thousands killed by violent takfiri jihadis lies with violent takfiri jihadis.

It's worth noting that "Al-Qaeda" (for want of a better name) and Bin Laden took issue over US intervention in Kuwait.

It was the presence of US troops in Saudi and their support for the monarchy there. IIRC he had no objections in principle to them throwing out a non Muslim Hussain (although they would have preffered an all Muslim army to have done so) just that they stuck around. From their all kinds of "grievences" were tacked on to rationalise the attacks. At one point the clown used Global Warming to justify attacks on America.

It was the presence of US troops in Saudi and their support for the monarchy there. IIRC he had no objections in principle to them throwing out a non Muslim Hussain (although they would have preffered an all Muslim army to have done so) just that they stuck around. From their all kinds of "grievences" were tacked on to rationalise the attacks. At one point the clown used Global Warming to justify attacks on America.

If I remember rightly, Bin Laden offered his fighters to Hussein prior to the first Gulf War, but Hussein declined and thereafter Bin Laden denounced him.

If I remember rightly, Bin Laden offered his fighters to Hussein prior to the first Gulf War,

Afghanistan fighters fought with the coalition. Bin Landen offered his services to the House Saud to defend the Holy Land but he was knocked back as basically being a bunch of amateurs. Had Saddam Hussein gotten his hands on him, he would have done some rather nasty things to him. Ba'athism is staunchly secularist, taking a big leaf out the book of Attaturk.

Also, this:

I'm no expert on the division of the Korean peninsula but is it really fair to lay the blame for two Koreas entirely at the feet of the West? I'm pretty sure (in fact, I'm almost certain) that the Soviet Union was involved somewhere along the line.

China more so. When Mao complained to Stalin how many troops they were losing, Stalin replied something on the lines of "Chill, plenty more where they came from."

Not sure what’s worse, those claiming that religion has little/nothing to do with the problem or those claiming it is solely the cause.

Blind adherence to a despotic, bigoted religion is what is driving the terrorism we have been witnessing in recent years; it is fuelled by the actions, both historic and ongoing, of the governments of the ‘civilised West’.

With the open, unapologetic admission by the US of the use of torture an escalation of the problem is almost inevitable.

"We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell them stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I took the fairy to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say. Now where were we, oh ya. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones."

Also, this:

Imperial Japan was a lot to blame as well iirc.

One thing is for sure. War is never about spreading freedom or democracy. There is always sinister economic reasons behind it. You cannot defeat a noun by declaring war on it. That doesn't mean to say a small group of people can't get rich off maintaining bad policy i.e. military industrial complex.

"We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell them stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I took the fairy to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say. Now where were we, oh ya. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones."

You will have to tell me what I do to upset you Pete.

That way I can do it more often. :)

Archived