Discussion About The Reasons For Terrorism

DAFC

With recent events in various countries it has become clear that instead of making The West safer recent military interventions in the Middle East and Africa has actually made us more of a target than before.

I usually watch question time and other political shows but I have never seen anyone of note ask why The West is continually attacked and under threat from terrorism. While the idea of some sort of illuminati government or secret society is ridiculous you have to wonder why nobody ever points out the seemingly obvious hypocrisy and double standards from most Western countries.

We sell weapons to dubious people then tell them off, deny all knowledge or attack them for using them.

We lecture countries about human rights yet torture innocent people, support countries like China and Saudi Arabia. We also support slavery and exploit people on just about every third world country through cheap goods and resources.

We run a phoney world police from America that gets its way regardless of justice.

We tell countries not to use or have nuclear weapons when we invented and used them.

I could go on but other obvious problems like Israel/Palestine, Iraq, Iran, Syria, Korea and others were pretty much all created and caused by Western interference and exploitation. America and the West have interfered or exploited just about every country on the planet.

Some of this was due to the Cold War against communism but it seems like it has never stopped since.

Or perhaps it's all the fault of Islam and a few maniacs?

I'm sure that quite a few people still believe this considering the moronic racist and anti Islamic posts you see on social media.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reasons certain countries are the target of terrorism are extremely obvious but you'd have to be a very brave man indeed to broadcast it.

Most people like to think we're simply the good guys and therefore any argument that maybe we're not isn't going to advance the career of any journalists or politicians.

It might not be Islam, but you can't argue against a lack of education, distribution of wealth, corrupt governments, living in a shit-hole (I mean that relatively)...

Simply blaming in on one side won't help, no matter where you lean on the political spectrum.

Also a lot of historical factors. The Ottoman collapse in the 19th and 20th century and the shoddy way the Balkans and the Middle Eastern questions were handled probably influenced a lot of negativity towards the west.

I know where you're going with this but have there actually been many attacks? Nothing well organised , international or large scale has happened for ages on western soil.

A soldier was murdered walking down the street last year?

The west are largely to blame for terrorist activities unfortunately. Drone attacks wiping out weddings, children, innocent people etc just breed people desperate for revenge.

"They hate our freedoms -- our freedom of religion, our freedom of speech, our freedom to vote and assemble and disagree with each other."

President G.W. Bush addressing the Joint Session of Congress.

September 20, 2001

The same President Bush whose administration tortured people who disagreed with him.

A soldier was murdered walking down the street last year?

Which was small scale, domestic and not greaty organised. Its an attack that could be carried out again tomorrow by someone who decides to do it now. Compared to the time and resources needed to carry put 9/11 , 7/7 or the madrid bombings and its tiny.

Which was small scale, domestic and not greaty organised. Its an attack that could be carried out again tomorrow by someone who decides to do it now. Compared to the time and resources needed to carry put 9/11 , 7/7 or the madrid bombings and its tiny.

Yeah nothing on that scale but who knows what sort of attacks have been stopped before they happen. I'm sure I read these intelligence agencies stop something like on average five major attacks per year.

I know where you're going with this but have there actually been many attacks? Nothing well organised , international or large scale has happened for ages on western soil.

This may not fit well with the discussion but the overwhelming number of deaths through terrorism in Britain has been caused by white (nominally) Christians.

Most of the terrorists caught or killed so far have been middle/upper class and well educated, and funded by wealthy Sunnis in "friendly" Arabian countries. Frack like crazy, plunge the oil price and they'll go back to their tents. And we'll stop bombing the region and motivating more of them.

It's either p***k cliques or mentalists.

In the case of Sydney, apparently both.

The mentalists are just one guy who has somehow convinced themselves they're doing a good thing due to their mental health issues.

The p***k cliques are the extreme elements of a larger group with a legitimate political greivance. Once they start getting together they feed off each other, they reinforce each others ideals and legitimise extremist beliefs in each other. It's the same psychology cults have, they indoctrinate each other.

Yeah nothing on that scale but who knows what sort of attacks have been stopped before they happen. I'm sure I read these intelligence agencies stop something like on average five major attacks per year.

I'm naturally suspicious when the likes of may come out and say about all these hidden attacks we're being protected from, normally comes out at the same time they are pushing through bills in parliament to give themselves more power.

Archived