Old Betty getting the Jocks telt

SodjesSixteenIncher

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/16/scottish-independence-queen-intervene-yes-vote-fears

What a superb democracy we live in :lol: Part of me feels compelled to object to the British state putting together wee PR stunts to influence a vote.

But if people in Scotland are such servile tragedies that they actually listen to this old scrounging cow, we can have no complaints really.

When Independence happens, let's have a Republic please. Something a bit more grown up next time.

Here's a story for you. It's called "The union is f**ked".

Yeah, I'm afraid that schtick is about 2 years out of date.

Happily we Scottish voters got the opportunity to decide that in September.

How did we vote?

Yeah, I'm afraid that schtick is about 2 years out of date.

Happily we Scottish voters got the opportunity to decide that in September.

How did we vote?

It didn't happen mate, the separatists have now managed to block that out the memory, a surge in membership of the SNP has given them enough to suck on to get them through their bitter grieving, to the point where they believe another referendum is just around the corner. Let em f*cking get on with it.

^^^^^^^^^^

Seething with anger that the SNP are hitting record highs in membership and independence just won't go away!

Things are just not going to plan for the Unionsists

No seething here mate, joining the SNP gave the Yes vote ( people just like Confidemus) something to cling on to after a decisive defeat. This will undoubtedly convert into a number of gains for the nationalists at the GE next May, but another drawn out referendum aint going to happen anytime soon. The Union is safe for the time being thanks.

What happens if the SNP gets something like 45% in the general election and wipes Labour off the electoral map in Scotland and holds the balance of power at Westminster? Despite the polling numbers I suspect that's still a long shot, but the more important point is that this debate is going to drag on and on because the No side failed to get the job done by being well under 60% in the referendum.

What happens if the SNP gets something like 45% in the general election and wipes Labour off the electoral map in Scotland and holds the balance of power at Westminster? Despite the polling numbers I suspect that's still a long shot, but the more important point is that this debate is going to drag on and on because the No side failed to get the job done by being well under 60% in the referendum.

I would say the issue for the Westminster No parties is that the chosen strategy - of bombarding that undecided 20% with relentless negativity - was successful in winning them the referendum but ultimately damaging to their electoral ambitions in Scotland in that the same strategy had the effect of hardening the opposition to them, for every two people who were put in the No camp by tales of financial collapse or punitive retribution from England, another walked away into the Yes camp with disgust and disillusionment at the establishment. It feels at the moment, and of course it could all still change like those pesky 'flag bearers' for a lost cause have been hardened against Westminster, and with only the SNP as a large scale electoral force to rally behind - at least as far as May is concerned - the former yes camp looks like a single electoral block in comparison to the Labour/Tory/Liberal factions on the other side.

The No side did a lot more to split the electorate than Yes did. The end result is that instead of taking the sting out of Yes by building a positive, future faicng case for the union, they got over the line largely by monstering the ambitions of the other side, thus weakening their longer term electoral ambitions up here. For the Tories, that doesn't really matter, for Labour it could be more of an issue.

15 seats would be massive for the SNP, not 50. Talk of Labour being wiped off the map in Scotland, is the kind of hyperbole only produced months out from a general election where no one really knows what the result will be.

15 would still be enough to hold the balance of power, mind. It depends who the balance is being held with. Labour, if they are the biggest party, have such a visceral hatred of the SNP (and it is mutual) that any kind of compromise will be difficult to reach, especially if Salmond wins in Gordon and is given a licence to troll.

In Scotland, the Liberals will be wiped out bar Orkney / Shetland, the Tories will continue to flatline and UKIP just aren't a factor. Wild proclamations of a pro-Yes "Rainbow Alliance" seem wide of the mark, largely as there is nothing in it for the SNP in a Westminster context. Labour will have their wings severly clipped and there may even be a Portillo moment for the divisive Skeletaur in his own backyard. But Labour will still be the biggest party, even if their wings are clipped.

No seething here mate, joining the SNP gave the Yes vote ( people just like Confidemus) something to cling on to after a decisive defeat. This will undoubtedly convert into a number of gains for the nationalists at the GE next May, but another drawn out referendum aint going to happen anytime soon. The Union is safe for the time being thanks.

Must admit you came across as seething in your previous post - apologies if you weren't.

The GE next May won't determine if there will be an Indyref2. That will happen in the 2016 Holyrood election - something so far that hasn't been ruled out by the SNP.

If the SNP have big gains in the 2015 GE to the point of getting substantially more powers for Holyrood then the likelihood of having an Indyref2 in the 2016 parly reduce.

I would like two red line issues before the SNP start supporting any future Westminster government.

1. No Trident renewal

2. Transfer of powers to Holyrood to hold legally binding referenda on independence

Thing is I think Trident is such a key issue to the WM parties that it would be a real breaker in negotiations.

I think Labour and the Tories would probably rather work together than work with the SNP and be forced to give up Trident.

I do agree that Holyrood should get the power to hold legally binding independence referenda independently of WM, but I can't see either of the WM parties conceding that either.

In the end even of the SNP win the vast majority of the Scottish seats I can't see them doing anything other than going into opposition and maybe agreeing to vote with Labour on occasion to keep a minority government afloat but even that seems a long shot. If they hold out enough they could effectively force a Labour/Tory coalition which would allow Salmond to be the official leader of her majesty's loyal opposition and make independence absolutely inevitable.

A sizeable (enough)Tory majority to be gained next May, with a vastly reduced support for Labour in Scotland. With the English demanding for English votes on English matters only (which they'll surely push through), as mentioned on a previous thread, it's almost as if this was Cameron's plan all along!

Tory and Labour working together or a Tory majority on the grounds of offering EVEL will leave the Union fucked. That's why we're hearing quotes about the Unionist parties raging about "being forced into a corner" and what not, there's no settlement available that works here.

It won't be 2016 or anything daft like that but Independence (or at least a popular demand for it in Scotland) is inevitable now.

And aye RedRob it was a "republican" whinge because I'm not a servile moron who likes the idea of some power inherited scroungers "ruling over us".

Tory and Labour working together or a Tory majority on the grounds of offering EVEL will leave the Union fucked. That's why we're hearing quotes about the Unionist parties raging about "being forced into a corner" and what not, there's no settlement available that works here.

It won't be 2016 or anything daft like that but Independence (or at least a popular demand for it in Scotland) is inevitable now.

And aye RedRob it was a "republican" whinge because I'm not a servile moron who likes the idea of some power inherited scroungers "ruling over us".

Servile Moron? Aye if you say so, I'm not the one sat with Salmond's cock drooling in his mouth? When was the last time the Monarch truly 'ruled over us' ya throbber ?

Servile Moron? Aye if you say so, I'm not the one sat with Salmond's cock drooling in his mouth? When was the last time the Monarch truly 'ruled over us' ya throbber ?

Might be a question better directed at your own support for this toe-curler of a banner.

article-0-1AFA99FF000005DC-846_634x413.j

Don't think it's a surprise that she was pro union and would be amazed if she swayed anyone's opinion but as she is not supposed to wade into political debates I think she should refrain from saying anything. I think what annoys people is the way it was stage managed and the fact they think we're all too dense to realise.

Archived