The Great Big Morton Thread

Rumour on our forum that you're after Iain Davidson. He can play CH and CM. He'd stroll this league. Not a classy player by any stretch, but adds a bit of steel and dig to the team.

Would be pretty happy with that, he's exactly what we need, a bully in the middle of the park.

Duffy has been quoted as saying that we've been in talks with an experienced central midfielder, someone who was maybe not the most spectacular but would be solid, so this would make sense. Would be pretty happy with Davidson. Has he played much this season?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stevie Aitken's Love Child, on 28 Dec 2014 - 17:18, said:

Duffy has been quoted as saying that we've been in talks with an experienced central midfielder, someone who was maybe not the most spectacular but would be solid, so this would make sense. Would be pretty happy with Davidson. Has he played much this season?

Only played 3 times for us this season, with his last appearance on the 18th October. Only reason he was kept on was because Bomber offered 1 year options to the whole squad if we were promoted and he's now our predominant back-up CH.

Played in our 0-1 away win at St Mirren as a sub at CM for Kevin McBride in the 64th minute, started as a CH in our 1-3 away win against Motherwell and played well at CH in our 4-0 cup win against Raith.

Only played 3 times for us this season, with his last appearance on the 18th October. Only reason he was kept on was because Bomber offered 1 year options to the whole squad if we were promoted and he's now our predominant back-up CH.

Played in our 0-1 away win at St Mirren as a sub at CM for Kevin McBride in the 64th minute, started as a CH in our 1-3 away win against Motherwell and played well at CH in our 4-0 cup win against Raith.

Cheers, so chances are he'd be pretty rusty for a couple of weeks if he did come in.

Any chance of sending Peaso and Jim McAlister down with him?

The problem I see with Davidson is will he want to travel to Greenock 4/5 times a week. I think it's fair to assume that, being from Kirklcaldy and playing with Raith and Dundee for the past ten years, he's probably settled in that area.

Would a wage from Morton cover five round trips to Greenock? I very much doubt it.

Despite his poor performances for Peterhead and the fact he may be about to be released as a consequence? :blink:

Just a feeling, I reckon he would gel better a lot with us compared to peterhead and not just because he's a local lad. He would be a great addition for us and he is a good attacking player with a good strike on him.

Sinclair Street, on 28 Dec 2014 - 21:35, said:

The problem I see with Davidson is will he want to travel to Greenock 4/5 times a week. I think it's fair to assume that, being from Kirklcaldy and playing with Raith and Dundee for the past ten years, he's probably settled in that area.

Would a wage from Morton cover five round trips to Greenock? I very much doubt it.

Perhaps a loan deal? If he's on a relatively good wage at us, I can't see him being willing to give that up regardless of location until it expires at the end of the season.

Despite his poor performances for Peterhead and the fact he may be about to be released as a consequence? :blink:

He had a decent enough game against us. Looked like a good player who wasn't 100% in it for whatever reason. Based on the rest of his career he'd be an excellent signing for us going forward. Unless there's some underlying problem there, injury or whatever else, then I don't see why we shouldn't be bringing him in. We won't though, because Duffy likes McKee too much.

Perhaps a loan deal? If he's on a relatively good wage at us, I can't see him being willing to give that up regardless of location until it expires at the end of the season.

It's just as likely that he'd agree a deal with Dundee to continue pay a certain amount of his wage until the end of his current deal. It's like a loan deal but is more common when a contract is running out, like when we signed Vine from Hibs last season.

Part of the reason Millar had been shite at Peterhead is that McInally also thinks he's a "good attacking player" when in actual fact he's a good sitting midfielder with a decent strike on him. It's the whole Reece Hands nonsense we had... he's scored a few from long range so we'll play him as an attacking player instead.

I'd be willing to give any player with a good track record or good potential a shot after being poor for a team managed by Jim McInally, because Jim McInally. Michael Gardyne.

Part of the reason Millar had been shite at Peterhead is that McInally also thinks he's a "good attacking player" when in actual fact he's a good sitting midfielder with a decent strike on him. It's the whole Reece Hands nonsense we had... he's scored a few from long range so we'll play him as an attacking player instead.

Indeed. For all that he has been utterly shite when played this season, I feel a bit sorry for Hands.

When he first signed and Moore had him in holding midfield he looked a good player, unlike everyone else we'd signed. Then he scored two absolute belters from long-range while still in holding midfield and Moore decided he was an attacking midfielder. Unsurprisingly he looked completely lost in that position but he hasn't been played in holding midfield again since with a mix of injuries, Shiels playing him on the left of midfield and Duffy, hilariously, playing him as a centre forward.

I've seen nothing from Hands to suggest he'd be a decent holding midfield player. I think a big part of his problem is that he's not got the complete game for any midfield role. Although I don't think he ever physically recovered from his spell out injured.

He had a decent enough game against us. Looked like a good player who wasn't 100% in it for whatever reason. Based on the rest of his career he'd be an excellent signing for us going forward. Unless there's some underlying problem there, injury or whatever else, then I don't see why we shouldn't be bringing him in. We won't though, because Duffy likes McKee too much.

I disagree. He was virtually anonymous, basically what the Peterhead fans have been saying about him all season.

I disagree. He was virtually anonymous, basically what the Peterhead fans have been saying about him all season.

Ideal to replace Joe McKee in the side then.*

* For the benefit of happy-clappers, worldy goals against a completely ganting pub outfit like Stirling do not count.

Archived