The Great Big Morton Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent work by Duffy. First Caldwell and MacDonald, now Tidser - arguably our most talented player of the last 10 years.

Noted we are 16/5 for the league on Bet 365 - bookies could be set to take a hammering.

Calm down please.

We're still hamstrung with Duffy in charge and poor options in defence. We're by no means favourites for the title at this stage.

You're both right in a sense. I wouldn't consider us favourites yet, particularly given our defence is still going to be pretty crap. On the other hand, the current prices are far, far too big considering the signings made in this window. I'd consider us somewhere near evens, or at least between evens and 2/1 to win the league - not probable winners but a team with a good chance of doing so.

Which is why I've staked a healthy sum on us with Ladbrokes at 10/3; can't see that price sticking for long.

Forbes and tidser could be very effective

Depends on how you'd play them, if you play Forbes on the left he's going to totally in balance the midfield and be like a man down, on the other hand

Pepper-Tidser

Forbes

Providing you played with two reasonably wide centre mid fielders should see Morton absolutely steamrolling this division. Only hope is that Duffy continues to be a leveller.

Certainly seems on paper that Morton have pissed all over us in this window. McDonald and Tidser look absolutely ridiculous signings, don't think Forbes will turn out to be any good for them tbh, much like how I doubt Barrowman will for us.

Depends on how you'd play them, if you play Forbes on the left he's going to totally in balance the midfield and be like a man down, on the other hand

Pepper-Tidser

Forbes

Providing you played with two reasonably wide centre mid fielders should see Morton absolutely steamrolling this division. Only hope is that Duffy continues to be a leveller.

Certainly seems on paper that Morton have pissed all over us in this window. McDonald and Tidser look absolutely ridiculous signings, don't think Forbes will turn out to be any good for them tbh, much like how I doubt Barrowman will for us.

Forbes looked really tidy against Ayr - a stark contradiction to some of the reviews he was getting from Dunfy fans on here.

How did Barrowman play?

post-37246-14218519172818_thumb.jpg

Anyone think this will work?

Might lack a bit of width but I think it could work. Russell has the legs to get up and down the park on the left. Kilday does too but it depends if he bothers his arse or not.

Lamie was alright at CB against Ayr and Stenny, would maybe replace him with Milojevic! And Miller (according to Dumbarton fans) should do better at CB.

O'Ware can do a decent job of protecting the defence allowing Tidser, Forbes and Pepper to push forward and support the front 2.

Might not work but I think it's the best way to get our better players all on the park at the same time.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1421851914.990852.jpg

Might lack a bit of width but I think it could work. Russell has the legs to get up and down the park on the left. Kilday does too but it depends if he bothers his arse or not.

Lamie was alright at CB against Ayr and Stenny, would maybe replace him with Milojevic! And Miller (according to Dumbarton fans) should do better at CB.

O'Ware can do a decent job of protecting the defence allowing Tidser, Forbes and Pepper to push forward and support the front 2.

Might not work but I think it's the best way to get our better players all on the park at the same time.

Looks like a good lineup to me. Duffy will have other ideas of course.

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1421851914.990852.jpg

Replace Lamie with Milojevic and that's probably our strongest team. Duffy will have McKee and at least one of the McCluskeys playing though.

:lol:

The pleasing, metallic taste of 100% pure seethe from the usual suspects;

Where's the seethe you muppet?

Can't your prepubescent brain understand that some football supporters take an interest in what other teams are doing and faring, and it's not always in a piss take or envy manner?

As it stands, your club is getting heavier into debt and further away from a sustainable future with every failed gamble Dougie makes. I personally, would not like to see Morton be left after Dougie leaves Cappielow (in whatever form), as a rotting corpse of a club saddled with debts and consigned to scrapping to survive in the seaside or trapdoor leagues. I genuinely would like to see Raes latest throw-mortons-cash-they-don't-have-at-it risky gamble to succeed, and Morton to be in the Championship next season. If it doesn't happen though, and with Duffy tied to the club for two years (or the added cost of ditching and replacing him), then that debt mountain of problems will intensify. Sustainability. Remember how we all harped on and told the bigotted blue brigade that if they weren't careful, and pulled together, their club would die? They laughed, ignored us all, and their club died. I don't want to see Morton go that way. Sometimes they are great fun to laugh at yes. But at end of the day they are a decent wee club with a ground I have been to many times and while the DVT stand isn't ideal, it is an old school ground and it has character (all be it, diminishing).

For a third tier club, Morton have made some good signings for that level. A squad now justifiably capable of winning the league. Forbes, while good, is not Thistle level any more, he's first division mid table at best. Caldwell should do well at that lower level, McDonald should score goals for fun down there. Tidser, while a great first division player, didn't astound anyone when he played for Dingwall, so hardly established top league class. Pepper is rated, as are some others so there is a core of players who should skoosh the seaside league. But that's with Jim Duffy in charge. You've all witnessed his tactical genius. And the Sweetieking backing him to the hilt. If Morton fails to win the league, and not get up through the playoffs, that's one almighty and expensive beamer. To add to quite a long list of beamers, in the past decade or two. That's not a point scoring or laughing statement, it's just plain simple fact.

If you can't understand simple points like these, then you really are the idiot you come across as on here.

No wonder Morton aren't viewed in the best light with a non entity like you portraying an idiocy that is either a complete embarrassment to your clubs sensible and decent supporters, or is regurgitated by your wee group of primary school fandans.

You can post your stupid pleasing gifs, tldr lie, or verge of whatever, i honestly don't care what you do or think. There's decent Morton supporters who i'd rather take notice of and their opinions on Morton, than an inconsequential little dog turd like yourself. So jog on.

And to the decent Morton supporters, this Thistle supporter, in this instance, genuinely wishes your club the best of luck gaining promotion this season. With Jim Duffy, I fear you will need it.

Forbes looked really tidy against Ayr - a stark contradiction to some of the reviews he was getting from Dunfy fans on here.

How did Barrowman play?

He had a blinder in his first game for us as well, give it time.

I wasn't that impressed, he played carrying an injury though so I'll cut him some slack.

Re Scosha's line-up, I fear that the lack of width would have us exposed defensively, particularly with the lack of pace from both Forbes and Tidser, but it's probably the best option for a midfield four. It's not going to leave us any more exposed than we would be if we had a flat four with Forbes and J McCluskey out wide, with the former's lack of pace every bit as much of a problem in that formation allied to the latter's lack of defensive ability, while we'd have no holding midfielder at all in that system.

We may be ridiculously exposed defensively, but the narrow 4-1-3-2 will allow us to accommodate our best attacking players and that means we can go for the tactic of the first half of 03/04: no matter how many ridiculous goals we concede, we can be confident of scoring more. Provided Duffy picks Pepper over McKee, it'll work.

Archived